Don't Ask, Don't Tell | James Amos | Katherine Miller | Military

BigGayDeal.com

Cadet Who Quit Over DADT Wants To Return To Military

Top 10 ranked West Point cadet Katherine Miller, who was one of the military soldiers that accompanied Lady Gaga to the VMAs earlier this year, that resigned from the academy earlier this year after deciding that living life as a closeted lesbian under DADT was not the life she wanted to leave. The Associated Press reports on her story:

Miller She wanted to be a leader at the academy, someone with honor. She excelled, ranking near the top of her class of more than 1,100 cadets going into their third year. But Miller also was hiding in fear. "I realized that I wasn't becoming the leader of character that I wanted to be," she said.

Other gay cadets in her small circle of friends tried to persuade her to stick it out. Conforming, after all, is a tenet taught in the military.

"It was definitely an option," Miller said. "I just chose not to live my life that way. I'm pretty stubborn in my values. I needed to get out and declare who I was."

She still wonders whether she should have stayed and tried to survive under the policy. "At the same time, I don't think that I would've made nearly the impact that coming out publicly made," she said.

But Miller wants back in: "I'm trying to get back into the military. I'm not trying to make that difficult when that occurs."

Meanwhile, information from next week's much anticipated DADT survey from the Pentagon continues to leak ahead of its release. It's being reported that out of all of the five branches of the armed forces, the Marines are the most resistant to seeing a repeal of the policy. Marine Commandant Gen. James Amos has made no secret he shares the same point of view though chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen said just last week that there was "no question" Amos would go along with a repeal if one were implemented by Congress.

Comments

1. Dumbass cadet Miller. Why should anyone at West Point welcome you back, YOU QUIT. You freaking quit and *now* you've changed your mind? She's now totally untrustworthy.

I'm not a fan of the military at all, but I detest people who quit some organization to make a point and then, lo and behold, decide that that org isn't so bad after all.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 27, 2010 1:34:30 PM

2. I sympathize with her predicament, but did she not know the policy before she joined?

Posted by: sandman | Nov 27, 2010 1:56:52 PM

3. @Sandman
    That's an extremely ignorant comment. Knowing it in theory and experiencing it are two very different things. Especially during such formative years. She knew it, thought she could handle it and realized the costs were too high. She is hardly the only one making that experience.

There are also plenty of people who don't know that they are gay when they join (at 17 or 18). Not everyone realizes it in their early teens.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 27, 2010 2:22:55 PM

4. Now that she realizes she ruined her military career to be a poster child for the leftard loonies in the gay community she is trying to back peddle.

The real heros are the men and women who stay in who are not quitters. We need dedicated men and women to fight for this country, not quitters!

How many in her squad would die because she quit and ran when the going got tough? Miller needs to stop listening to HRC, GLAAD and the other fraudulent 'gay' organizations that claims to represent us. They are just money grubbing frauds that do nothing for us other than throw lavish parties. Idiots all!

Posted by: Terv | Nov 27, 2010 2:39:44 PM

5. "Especially during such formative years"

She's old enough to kill people in our name, she's not some little helpless lamb.

"She is hardly the only one making that experience"

Of course not, but she wants it both ways, she wants people to give her a pass on QUITTING. I hope West Point laughs in her face, tells her to go away and STFU and says "Bring the lawsuits on".

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 27, 2010 4:51:14 PM

6. Calling it "quitting" really doesn't describe what she did. This is a Top 10 cadet who made a values decision, based on the Obama Democrats' failure to do what they promised to do, and what the country wants them to do -- allow LGBT servicemembers to be honest.

I seriously doubt any commenter here thinks the US military is better off by throwing away the talents of this capable person.

As for the Marines, I guess this does follow the pattern of the most homophobic also being the most gay (closeted).

Posted by: Randy | Nov 27, 2010 9:21:19 PM

7. No, she quit. And I agree, it wasn't in her best personal interests, and she allowed herself to be used. The hard-liners behind the cause she allowed to use her have no problem with collateral damage, her or anyone else [aside from themselves of course!]

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 27, 2010 11:47:24 PM

8. That should really read 'group', not 'cause'. I don't have an issue of course with fighting for repeal of DADT and gay rights in general. But there are many sleezy individuals among especially professional gay 'advocates'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 27, 2010 11:49:53 PM