Bullying | Chris Colfer | Glee | Kiss | Max Adler | News | Playing Gay | Television

Watch: 'Glee' Bully Max Adler on Kissing Kurt — 'First time I've kissed a guy, and I'm glad it was Chris Colfer!'

Adler

MTV News talked to Max Adler, who plays Glee bully Dave Karovsky, the football player who gave Kurt Hummel his first kiss on last week's episode.

Said Adler:

"I just got the script like any other script. I had no clue what was going on...I saw Ryan at the premiere, and he said, 'We just wrote some really good stuff for you for episode six,' and I was like, 'Oh, cool. Some more slushies?'...And then I got the script, and I was reading that scene, and Kurt, he just doesn't let up. He keeps on me and he keeps on me, and I thought, 'I'm going to punch him in the face. This is getting serious.' And then I turn the page, and it says: 'Karovsky kisses Kurt.' And I was like, 'What?' I jumped off the couch. I was as shocked as anybody else was. It was totally unexpected."

Karovsky adds that it wasn't just Kurt's first time: "So, yeah, first time I've kissed a guy, and I'm glad it was Chris Colfer!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. they both played that scene well. i hope to see more of Max in this season

Posted by: mymy | Nov 16, 2010 9:06:07 AM

2. With all the speculation, maybe there is a love triangle brewing with Kurt, Blaine and Dave? Kurt crushes on Blaine who winds up helping Dave come out...

Posted by: QJ201 | Nov 16, 2010 9:14:53 AM

3. They are BOTH really good actors. There is just so much happening on their faces throughout that episode.

Posted by: DougChgo | Nov 16, 2010 9:17:29 AM

4. Let's keep it simple and realize that they are both acting!

Posted by: True Words | Nov 16, 2010 9:29:15 AM

5. What a refreshing change from the usual: I had to kiss a guy, and I was like "ICK".

I look forward to seeing how this story develops, but I have a bad feeling Karovsky is headed for a tragic end.

Posted by: Hank | Nov 16, 2010 9:54:46 AM

6. I think Ham Hock is hot!

=P

Posted by: George F | Nov 16, 2010 10:01:50 AM

7. CUUUUTEEEEEEE. LOVE HIM....

Posted by: Roberto | Nov 16, 2010 10:10:42 AM

8. Here's my prediction for the story arc, based on one teaser that Mr. Adler threw out last week ("parents get involved"):

The bullying escalates until Kurt can't take it and finally gets his father involved. Burt in turn gets the school and Dave's parents involved, and Dave's parents turn out to be hateful and toxic, which is of course the force behind Dave's behavior. Kurt has some kind of realization that, in the long term, Dave is actually in a much *worse* situation than he is and keeps the secret because Dave may be in even more danger than he is. The unspoken deal between Kurt and Dave is now Kurt that keeps Dave's secret to keep him from (being beaten? being thrown out of his house? suicidal ideation?) in exchange for Dave letting up on the abuse, the cover being that Dave is now being held accountable by the school and has to stop tormenting Kurt, so nobody can question his motives.

Maybe that's too heavy for "Glee" (is it my imagination or was last season substantially weirder and naughtier?) and it is kind of soap-opera-y, but that's one way they could play it. The other more hackneyed way would be the "music soothes the savage breast" but that's too easy.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 16, 2010 10:14:40 AM

9. so my type.. love the cubs...

Posted by: TANK | Nov 16, 2010 10:27:04 AM

10. Max, allow me to be the first to say this to you:

"Woof."

Posted by: JeffNYC | Nov 16, 2010 11:25:38 AM

11. GLEE makes me ashamed to be gay.

thank goodness i don't watch it.

wouldn't mind putting a hate crime on Kurt while some NIN plays in the background.

ah, to dream!

Posted by: Johny | Nov 16, 2010 12:45:09 PM

12. My gaydar is going off right now

Posted by: matthew | Nov 16, 2010 12:49:28 PM

13. @Johnny -- are you THAT fucked up, man? No, really.

Posted by: michael | Nov 16, 2010 1:12:44 PM

14. Let me put this out there.

People who seek out articles, just to comment about how much they hate the focus of the article, differ only in degree to the bigots who commit hate crimes.

Newflash to the whole world: It's not all about you. No one cares if you like something, approve of something, or hate something.

Don't like it? MOVE ON.

Jonny, your shame is well deserved, but has nothing to do with a tv show.

Posted by: Spot | Nov 16, 2010 1:17:34 PM

15. @Johny: You're just a two-bit troll so I don't know why I bother, but Trent Reznor would tell you to go fuck yourself. As you may have noticed, Trent plays piano and sings and is a bit of an outcast... growing up, he was actually a whole lot like Kurt.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 16, 2010 1:41:55 PM

16. Spot, you are SPOT on! Those folks mean nothing and contribute nothing to the discussion. The internet has allowed even wimpy assholes to be part-time bullies.

Any homosexual who doesn't realize the contribution GLEE is making needs to STFU and never call themselves gay again.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 16, 2010 2:08:59 PM

17. That young man is oddly attractive. Am I the only one?

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Nov 16, 2010 2:16:06 PM

18. Max Adler is a total mensch and a great actor. That scene (and the following ones) were very well done.

And yes, he's hot.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 16, 2010 2:29:36 PM

19. good to see that the lovers outnumbers the haters for this story

kudos to the actor - seems like he has a good head on his shoulders

Posted by: kyle | Nov 16, 2010 3:23:37 PM

20. The attractive Max is totally convincing as the sexually confused jock- how can any gay man hate "Glee"?!

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 16, 2010 9:26:19 PM

21. The kissing scene was intense but I loved the scene on the stairwell even more. When Kurt pushes Dave away, the way that Max Adler goes through about 5 emotions in about 5 seconds was just really well done.

NAUGHTYLOLA, I like the cut of your jib [/Mr. Burns]

Max is totally my type, shame his character wears those long-sleeved football player jackets so that his nice hairy forearms are covered.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 16, 2010 9:52:23 PM

22. Max Adler's Twitter page says he is going to co-host a concert against hate and record a message for the It Gets Better campaign. He also links to a Youtube video of the screaming reaction of a group of viewers to the surprise Kurtofsky kiss.

I love how Glee can take someone who is pretty much unnoticed in the background like Kurtofsky and eventually reveal him to be a multi-layered character who sends the story where we never expected it.

I want to know about Kurtofsky now

Posted by: GregV | Nov 17, 2010 12:52:34 AM

23. Oops, I meant to refer to a charcater like "Karofsky." "Kurtofsky" is only for the Kurt/Karofsky rivalry/kiss.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 17, 2010 12:59:51 AM

24. @GregV, Max Adler's "It Gets Better" video:

He's such a honey. I want to squeeze him and rest my head against his shoulder and cuddle on the couch and watch TV with him.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 17, 2010 8:33:33 AM

25. He is strangely cute! Never noticed before but I suppose the layers to his character have added to his appeal lol. He is a great actor though and I felt so bad for him in the principal's office scene. *sigh* I now wonder if he'll still hold a speaking role since Kurt is going to another school now. Oh the possibilities...

Posted by: JPandS | Nov 24, 2010 4:22:05 AM