Johnny Weir | Julianne Moore | News | Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin in OUT 100: 'I Was Seduced by Fear' of Coming Out

Rmartin

OUT's editor Aaron Hicklin sends over some shots from the magazine's OUT 100 issue. This year's cover (below) features Ricky Martin, Johnny Weir, Julianne Moore, Nate Berkus, and Rachel Maddow.

Says Hicklin: "This is my fifth Out 100 as editor, and only the fourth time we have undertaken to shoot all 100 people, a truly major undertaking, and I really couldn’t be more thrilled with the breadth and variety of honorees this year, from familiar figures like Chris Colfer, T.R.Knight, the Scissor Sisters and Rufus Wainwright to newsmakers like Chris Armstrong, the president of the University of Michigan (and target of harassment from the state’s deputy attorney general), Thai director and 2010 Palme D’Or winner Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Disney studio head Rich Ross, and David Cicilline, the newly-elected congressman for Providence, R.I., and only the fourth openly gay member of Congress (the other three—Barney Frank, Jared Leto*, and Tammy Baldwin—all appeared in last year’s Out 100)."

*Note: obviously Aaron meant Jared Polis.

Says Martin: "Something as simple as standing at that (gay rights group's) dinner and saying, ‘I’m gay,’ creates so may emotions I’ve never felt before. I didn’t do it earlier because of fear, and bottom line it was all in my head. I was seduced by fear and I was sabotaging most of my life—my music, my relationships with my friends, with my family, with everybody. That’s something I need to share because I know that a lot of people are going through what I went through, no matter what their age, and fear cannot control us."

Check out the portraits of Julianne Moore and Johnny Weir, AFTER THE JUMP...

Out1

Fpo_j-moore-0251

Fpo_Johnny_Mirror_18

Comments

1. Jared Leto is an openly gay member of Congress?

Posted by: Dave | Nov 12, 2010 10:56:45 AM

2. As much as I'd love Jared Leto to be an openly gay Congressman, it's Jared Polis.

Posted by: Erik | Nov 12, 2010 10:58:54 AM

3. Um... Jared Leto was in congress? Did you mean Jared Polis?

Posted by: marshallt | Nov 12, 2010 10:59:22 AM

4. Is the horse gay too? It confuses me.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 12, 2010 11:00:06 AM

5. No idea if the horse is gay, but after the photoshoot Johnny Weir slaughtered it and knitted himself a fabulous white shawl with matching booties.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 12, 2010 11:10:14 AM

6. @Crispy - Don't forget the mittens and muff (NO not THAT muff, silly)that complete the ensemble for all those chilly late night spins around the rink! Johnny Weir signature mittens with matching muff for his Russian fans.

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 12, 2010 11:19:57 AM

7. julian moore is not a lesbian so why have her on the cover

ricky martin looks good with age as vs when he was all twinky, but the tats ruin looking at him

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Nov 12, 2010 11:22:15 AM

8. To my knowledge, Johnny Weir has never come out--he tap dances around and evades the question by rejecting "labels". Just like Sean Hayes, we already know the answer--why are they so afraid to say it? Do we really need to reward that kind of cowardice and deception?

Posted by: StillMarriedinCalifornia | Nov 12, 2010 11:22:49 AM

9. So of the five people on the cover, one isn't gay, one isn't out, two were dragged out kicking and screaming (particularly Nate) and only one is out and proud and didn't have to be pushed out of the closet.

I'll admit that Ricky has become an eloquent and articulate openly gay speaker but really, is this the best five we have to offer in celebrating OUT?

Posted by: Jake | Nov 12, 2010 11:39:37 AM

10. Behind-the-scenes of Out 100 cover stars shoot - exclusive VIDEO:

Posted by: Matt | Nov 12, 2010 11:54:51 AM

11. stop whining people. they need to stay in business, so they need to sell magazines, so within reason, they need to put their most famous, currently popular subjects on the cover. i think they have done that. this list ultimately does good. give em a break.

does anyone know if this is on newsstands already?

Posted by: richard | Nov 12, 2010 11:55:11 AM

12. Johnny Weir may not have said he's "gay" -- but he's obviously queer. It's important to celebrate people like him who are moving away from these strict labels like "gay" and "straight" and push society to accept a wide range of gender and sexual expressions.

Posted by: TJ | Nov 12, 2010 11:56:17 AM

13. Oh look, another Out cover cramming as many celebrities on as possible all for the sake of sales. How about showing our real community and successes...oh wait, Out doesn't really care about that, does it?

Posted by: Brian | Nov 12, 2010 11:57:08 AM

14. "... is this the best five we have to offer in celebrating OUT?"

Ricky is the best choice, who else would you suggest?

Posted by: Matt | Nov 12, 2010 11:59:36 AM

15. Who is that homely woman standing to the left of Ricky on the cover?

Posted by: niles | Nov 12, 2010 12:01:55 PM

16. I've always thought Ricky Martin was a coward. It's his life, and he can do what he wants, but I don't think he should be on the cover. There are hundreds of brave lgbt people that face the daily challenges of being out. Ricky came out after he made his millions. I think we need to celebrate the people that face being openly queer without his luxuries. The ones who get bullied, rejected, and marginalized yet still stand for who they are. Ricky is no where near the best we've got.

Posted by: JT | Nov 12, 2010 12:09:09 PM

17. Great variety - love seeing Christin Quinn, Lisa Cholodenko, and Armistead Maupin in the portfolio, and at last someone gives props to Derek and Romaine. Love those two.

Posted by: Doug | Nov 12, 2010 12:09:31 PM

18. Johnny Weir just can't be seen in public without being draped in the fur of some dead animal, can he? The fact that OUT chose this *closeted* narcissist to be in their annual OUT 100 (and put him on the cover of the magazine no less!) proves the irrelevance of that particular publication.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 12, 2010 12:17:55 PM

19. Shut up Ricky Martin.

High School children have more courage than you.

Just go back to your wealthy closeted, mediocre talented life and leave the people who made it possible for you to exploit your "comming out" for book sales, alone.

Posted by: Truth Patrol | Nov 12, 2010 12:26:32 PM

20. ew.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 12, 2010 12:34:39 PM

21. And is Chris Armstrong the president of the Univ of Michigan? i thought he was the president of a student organization on campus. I guess the editor who can lapse on Jared Leto and Jared Polis can lapse on that, too.

List seems geared to celebrities of 1996: what in the world have Rufus Wainwright and Michael Stipe done in 2010 that was so newsworthy for the LGBT community to warrant any magazine coverage? Seems like a snooze of a list, imho.

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 12, 2010 12:36:58 PM

22. I actually like the cover.

I'm surprised that, particularly in 2010, they didn't include someone like Lt. Dan Choi - someone who's actually, honestly, and obviously fighting for the rights of members of the community.

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rachel Maddow, but I don't exactly see her as 'Fighting' for our rights. She's just being who she is - a fabulously smart, funny lady who happens to love another woman - who is living her life openly. I know she discusses things important to us on her show, but she's not exactly an activist like Lt. Choi.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Nov 12, 2010 12:40:27 PM

23. Enough already! Ricky you are not the first to come out of the closet. I am glad you are out, but for god's sake give it a rest.

Posted by: Angus | Nov 12, 2010 12:47:29 PM

24. Martin gave a thoughtful and articulate answer, not the too often usual cliches. Show him some respect.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 12, 2010 1:02:56 PM

25. Will Aaron be writing an open letter to Rickey telling him not to fuck it up? Thole whole gay community was counting on him but for 20 years his publicist wouldn't give him an interview?

I wonder What Rickey thought when he watched Adam Lambert come out before his first album? He must have been paying attention to see what the repercussions were. Adam could have easily played the coy game for a few more months to make selling his album less political and getting radio play easier. Rufus and Jake Shears were also out from the start but not on such a big scale and I think it did end up hurting themon radio as there were NO openly gay people on US radio. Others like Elton and George Michael were already done on radio when they came out. So it's still kind of a battle to get gay men on the radio and for that reason I hope Ricky has some good songs and gets played.

I like Rickey, he seems nice and I'm glad he finally gets to live his life in the open. He's already made his money so why not at this point? But I'm happier for all those gay latino kids who have a gay latino man who's finally out and proud.

And is it weird that the person I'm most attracted to in this photo is Rachel? I love her.

Posted by: IAN F | Nov 12, 2010 1:21:57 PM