Brian Brown | Family Research Council | News | NOM | Tony Perkins

Tony Perkins Freaks Over Designation of Family Research Council as a 'Hate Group', Demands Apology

Now that credible groups are finally seeing the Family Research Council and other anti-gay extremists entities for what they are really are — hate groups — the wheels are starting to come off.

Tony Perkins of the FRC reacted to his group's designation by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a "hate group" with a statement on Wednesday claiming they are the victims of a smear campaign and demanding an apology.

Their statement: Perkins

"Family Research Council has, for nearly 30 years, advanced faith, family, and freedom in public discourse. We do so with civility and compassion. We hold to the indisputable fact that the family - a Dad, a Mom, and children - is the best building block of a good society, which is why we oppose efforts to transform it based on personal sexual preference.

"The Southern Poverty Law Center is a massively funded liberal organization that operates under a veneer of public justice when, in fact, they seem more interested in fundraising ploys than fighting wrongdoing.

"This is a deliberately timed smear campaign by the SPLC.  The Left is losing the debate over ideas and the direction of public policy so all that is left for them is character assassination.  It's a sad day in America when we can not, with integrity, have a legitimate discussion over policy issues that are being considered by Congress, legislatures, and the courts without resorting to juvenile tactics of name calling.

"The Left's smear campaigns of conservatives is also being driven by the clear evidence that the American public is losing patience with their radical policy agenda as seen in the recent election and in the fact that every state, currently more than thirty, that has had the opportunity to defend the natural definition of marriage has done so.  Earlier this month, voters in Iowa sent a powerful message when they removed three Supreme Court justices who imposed same-sex marriage on the state.  Would the SPLC also smear the good people of Iowa?

"Family Research Council will continue to champion marriage and family as the foundation of our society and will not acquiesce to those seeking to silence the Judeo-Christian views held by millions of Americans.  We call on the Southern Poverty Law Center to apologize for this slanderous attack and attempted character assassination."

NOM's Brian Brown sprang to his group's and Perkins' defense in the Washington Post:

"This is about protecting marriage. This isn't about being anti-anyone. The whole idea that somehow those folks who stand up for traditional marriage, like the Family Research Council, are hateful is wrong. [The law center is] trying to marginalize and intimidate folks for standing up for marriage and also trying to equate them somehow to the KKK."

With supporters like THESE, why would anyone in their right mind believe Brown?

Unmasking these dangerous bigots is long overdue.

Comments

1. You wanna protect "traditional" marriage? Try outlawing "traditional" divorce.

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | Nov 26, 2010 9:44:32 AM

2. This group is no more vital than a walkman; there time and whatever influence has long since been deflated. The reality is many of these members join and operate within this group to further their one-sided view of marriage and other aspects of life...

Posted by: True Words | Nov 26, 2010 9:50:31 AM

3. In other words, because FRC is incapable of evolving to keep up with societal changes due to evolution, they will do everything within their power to insure nobody evolves. And then when called out for it, they claim victomhood. This tactic has worked for them for many years, yet in spite of all their efforts, people continue to evolve anyway and are beginning to no longer fall for their dogma in the numbers they used to. It's just a matter of time before FRC and groups like them become completely irrelevant.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 26, 2010 10:09:26 AM

4. this is exactly the discourse that will gain traction. The bigotted right is going to start playing the victim card which will become a powerful tool for them.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 26, 2010 10:11:19 AM

5. Let's translate, shall we? "This is about making boatloads of money in donations from bigots. This is about having a cushy career for me. This is all about me. I couldn't survive for one minute in the real world, this is my only gig. It's not about hate, it's about money. Hate is only secondary."

Posted by: Craig | Nov 26, 2010 10:18:36 AM

6. Note to Tony; we calls 'em as we see's 'em.

NOM is a hate group, plain and simple. Now go away.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 26, 2010 10:25:13 AM

7. No one is stopping these people from getting married. They can go to Nevada, Mexico the South frakkin pole and get married and it's recognized. No threat to them or their ilk. It's pure hate to keep others from what other countries and states have already found perfectly legal and an equal application of the law.

Posted by: Raven | Nov 26, 2010 10:52:47 AM

8. I'm glad this group and this hateful faceman are finally being called out for what they are! Now that awareness is in the public about the harmful affects of these people, they will get an apology from us when hell freezes over!

Posted by: Jim | Nov 26, 2010 10:57:20 AM

9. Craig hit the nail right on the head.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 26, 2010 10:58:13 AM

10. His statement hits all the facts.There is no creature as intolerant and hateful as a far left or far right nut job who you don't agree with 100% of the time. You can see it evident in comment threads here (daily) if you aren't robotic in seeing it the far left way. I support the right of everyone to have an opinion and trust common sense to rule the day. As much as gays want acceptance and tolerance we seem to lack the same. Hence, the once a day bashing to posts on Palin with an obvious bent towards being hateful.

Now, prove me right.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 26, 2010 11:06:46 AM

11. I am surprised Family Research Council is calling for defunding of any Gay organization (who is not government funded). They themselves are deeply connected to government sponsored programs of the religious right.

Posted by: Israel | Nov 26, 2010 11:15:44 AM

12. "As much as gays want acceptance and tolerance we seem to lack the same. Hence, the once a day bashing to posts on Palin with an obvious bent towards being hateful."

Isn't equality actually what we want? Who cares if zealots like Tony Perkins approve of or tolerate us? Extremist groups like the FRC are doing more than disagreeing with us. Their mission is to deprive us of civil rights. No gay people are trying to deprive Tony Perkins--or Sarah Palin, for that matter--of his civil rights. Any comparisons between us and them are self-loathing delusion.

P.S. Tony's belief that "the Left" is losing the debate on marriage equality and that the trajectory of marriage is heading his way is flat-out wrong, and he knows it. (It wasn't "the Left" who unanimously supported our equality in IA.) Opponents of equality will lose. So line your pockets now, Tony, because your legacy won't be worth a dime.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 26, 2010 11:31:12 AM

13. Always amuses me how bigots, phobes and hat8rs come undone when one calls them out!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Nov 26, 2010 11:33:02 AM

14. @CRAIG - So if one has a problem morally equating activism on the left with activism on the right, one proves you right? Have you visited the websites and gone down the rabbit holes? The ones wherein lie the true hate and bigotry - the truly offensive (in more than one connotation) that has precipitated the defensive? Can one defend organizations that come out against anti- bullying ordinances? That actually believe one can "pray away the gay" and advocate measurably harmful reorientation therapy? With adherents who quote abomination and then casually point out that one is therefore justified to advocate extermination? Really?

Posted by: TJ | Nov 26, 2010 11:45:55 AM

15. No matter how he tries to hide it, Tony Perkin's viasge registers a 9.8 on the ten-point gayface-o-meter.

To poster Craig: Calling out liars for lying, or "refudiating" a false argument put forth by someone, Quitter for instance, does not constitute hates speech from the left or any other quarter.

Posted by: tweedle | Nov 26, 2010 11:49:30 AM

16. @Ernie

All the turnabout accusations demanding tolerance of intolerance boils down to this:

"Everyone must listen to me because I am white, Christian, and Republican. I am your master and I will not be ignored!"

It is glaringly obvious that is why these folks get so easily agitated. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother with the absurdly smug pretense that it is about patriotism or the constitution. The fact that they can - and frequently do - bitch, moan, and complain about the "left wing media" is proof that nobody is censoring them. We just don't buy the bullshit moral equivalency.

Posted by: John | Nov 26, 2010 12:03:19 PM

17. Craig: there's a big difference between making fun of a public figure who makes an ass of herself in public every day and working to deny fundamental civil rights to private citiznes because you are offended (or perhaps because you are secretly jealous) of what they do in bed.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Nov 26, 2010 12:25:57 PM

18. Oh please, of course Tony's having a cow. His usefulness as a responsible and productive citizen is being challenged, not to mention his job. Awaaah!!!! Cry me a fuckin' river.

Posted by: Jerome | Nov 26, 2010 12:56:36 PM

19. @Craig - GOProud would love another member.
    Your description of thee robotic far left is a joke and so are you. FRC has every right and the access to media to spread lies about gay people, promote fear and hatred to further their goals and it is protected speech. Stop whining, jerk.

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 26, 2010 1:16:30 PM

20. Craig, you're so full of shit I can smell you through the screen.

You want to lump those who are discriminated against in with those who discriminate. Maybe you are on the wrong website and or just trolling to start shit, but whatever your excuse, you're still an idiot.

You use the same tactics homophobes use. "Oh, gays have the highest rate of suicide than any group" or "they are more depressed" or "they aren't stable". It's because of homophobes and bigots that many homosexuals are depressed and commit suicide.

And it would be a lot easier to tolerate and accept those people if the favor were returned.

We're no intolerant by nature, we're forced into it by those who hate us.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 26, 2010 1:24:19 PM

21. I find it interesting that these organizations always use as their victimizational defense the very aggressive offense they use against the people they are trying to discriminate against.

To Mr. Perkins...you want an apology? You first.

Posted by: BartB | Nov 26, 2010 1:35:45 PM

22. @Craig -- I don't want nor need "acceptance and tolerance." That's a candy-ass desire that makes one a victim as much as it makes them whiny. I do want and need to live my life, take care of my family, serve in the military openly if I wish and marry someone I love. That doesn't make me "far left," that makes me an American.

And Palin is ridiculously anti-intelligent. That doesn't mean I'm hateful, it means I listen to her speak and I read what she's writes and that the analysis is honest and obvious.

Posted by: BartB | Nov 26, 2010 1:46:06 PM

23. @CRAIG: We gays want acceptance and tolerance ??
    Are you serious ?
    I don't want acceptance or tolerance from anyone......I simply demand absolute equality.
    No, it doesn't make me a left wing nut job. It makes me a civil rights promoter.
    And no, that doesn't make me "robotic".....your view that there is some moral equivalence between the h8ters and those who demand equality is preposterous.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 26, 2010 2:42:24 PM

24. Who gives a fuck about acceptance and tolerance? The law discriminates against gay people. We want that changed. I don't give a rat's ass if Tony Perkins likes me or accepts me or "tolerates" me. I do care that he wants to use the law to keep me a second-class citizen under the law.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Nov 26, 2010 3:18:01 PM