GLAAD | Glee | Joy Behar | Michelangelo Signorile | News | Transgender

Watch: Joy Behar, Signorile on the GLAAD Glee 'Tranny' Debate

Signorile

Is GLAAD "out of control", as Susan Sarandon said, for criticizing Glee's use of the term "Tranny"?

Michelangelo Signorile and author Greg Fitzsimmons joined Joy Behar last night to debate it.

Behar earlier posted a statement from GLAAD on her blog:

"GLAAD did not ‘take action’ against Glee – which last year won the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Comedy Series. GLAAD included the recent use of the word ‘tra—y’ on the show in a blog post which looked at the rising use of this word as an insult against transgender people in popular culture. It was unfortunate that the Daily News and others sensationalized our blog commentary. Members of the transgender community are best to speak about the harms of this word being used by people who are not transgender. Part of GLAAD’s mission is to educate the media and the public about how words like this can be dehumanizing and dangerous to the transgender community, a nearly invisible minority whose issues even some members of the gay and lesbian community might not fully understand."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I just keep wondering if Christian Siriano got the same call from GLAAD about his catchphrase.

Posted by: Sean Mac | Nov 11, 2010 7:26:50 AM

2. Wow. It's news that gay activists are often insensitive to transgender people?

Watch Greg Fitzsimmons do everything possible to keep anything substantive from being said.

I do not understand why Joy Behar had gay guys on to talk about a transgender issue.

Posted by: Vector Shente | Nov 11, 2010 7:31:38 AM

3. If anything, GLAAD doesn't go far enough. It has let far too many entertainers off the hook. Whether music or movies, the entertainment industry is full of homophobic images and statements, especially in relation to male homosexuality. Male homosexuality always seems to be the target, not female homosexuality.

As for Sarandon, what the fuck does she understand about male sexuality? She's a woman and, therefore, cannot even begin to fully comprehend the oppression of male homosexuality. Keep in mind that, historically, laws against homosexuality were directed against men, not women.

The tranny diatribe is not strictly a gay issue but it does reflect the demonization of people who are different in terms of gender identity. Anti-tranny attitudes are very similar to anti-gay attitudes, and often come from the same mouths. Sarandon needs to understand this and she also needs to understand that we're not going to take it anymore.

Posted by: jason | Nov 11, 2010 7:35:30 AM

4. Oh great. More cis men talking about trans issues. Another smashing success.

But for real why didn't she bring on a trans woman to talk about this? I'm sick of cisgendered gay men discussing and policing trans bodies. We get it, you're the face of the LGBT community and you're at the top of the waiting list for equal rights. Congratulations, now step the fuck back and let someone else in the community speak for a minute.

I realize that they had no choice in the matter because they were the guests but I'm speaking generally; this isn't a one time thing. Joy's producers should have contacted a trans woman to be on the panel with them if they were going to talk about a story that directly effects trans women.

in b4 pressed cis dudes come at me.

Posted by: idts | Nov 11, 2010 7:40:08 AM

5. Wait...we're not allowed to say "homosexual" now? And "sexual preference" doesn't imply "choice." "It is in my nature to prefer sex with men." There.

Who does GLAAD think these rules are helping?

Posted by: Rob | Nov 11, 2010 8:13:29 AM

6. What on Tim Gunn's green earth does cisgendered mean?! Good grief, this is why "tranny" has taken off as a catch-all word ... the trans community has created more goddam words than Webster.

That said, I gotta agree... why wouldn't they have trans people on to discuss a trans issue? That's juth thilly.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 11, 2010 8:37:16 AM

7. Susan Sarandon, who has been with the good guys on every issue in memory, is the problem?

Seriously, we are completely fucked. New media reports EVERYTHING, and here's a news flash - NOBODY is perfect for EVERYBODY when you report EVERYTHING.

Fortunately the crazy right forgives EVERYTHING as long as its heroes are "Christian" enough, so they are nicely positioned to run the world.

Which brings us back to "we are completely fucked".

Posted by: MammaBear | Nov 11, 2010 8:38:50 AM

8. Rob, I think you're so right- this last bit in the segment confused me too. what's wrong with the word "homosexual"? "Heterosexual" is ok and "transsexual" is ok but "homosexual" isn't?

Posted by: Igor | Nov 11, 2010 8:40:45 AM

9. GLADD and the PC police are out of control.
    I'm queer, gay, homosexual.
    Geez!

Posted by: the happy Misanthrope | Nov 11, 2010 8:44:09 AM

10. Ugh. Shuuuuuut up. Call me whatever you want...just don't call me common....

Posted by: cody | Nov 11, 2010 8:44:37 AM

11. GLAAD is absolutely right to prefer that the media use "sexual orientation" over "preference"—are you kidding me otherwise? Weren't there like 50 comments here recently calling for Valerie Jarrett's head when she referred to being gay as a choice, which is exactly what preference implies?

And it's idiotic not to see what is happening when someone in the media uses "homosexual" as opposed to "gay" when speaking of the gay community in anything other than a very clinical context. (A homosexual sex act, yes. That man is a homosexual, uh, no...clearly, that makes it seem like being gay is all about fucking, which it's not. Not that people don't use the word homosexual all the time without INTENDING to do this, but good for GLAAD that they would point it out. Oprah does this a lot and I don't see her as an enemy.)

But when it comes to "tranny," my being cis (!) or not, I just don't see it. It's not the N-word; there is NO history of its use that compares to the N-word. True enough that anything can be offensive. Greg tries to act like mick isn't offensive, well, duh it is, even if it IS just Mc. Like Jap is just shortening Japanese, but it's offensive to refer to a Japanese person as a Jap, duh.

So tranny could potentially but used offensively, but can we please see some actual transgendered people passionately arguing why? Because I haven't seen that, and I've looked. And the context in which GLEE used it was not offensive.

I think what really should be more offensive is the fact that we as gay people (and many of our friends) are very quick to insult women we hate as looking transgendered or looking like men. That, in context, is much more derogatory, no?

Okay, maybe we are just completely fucked.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 11, 2010 8:55:16 AM

12. No offense, but stop trying to make "cisgender" happen. It won't.

FYI: cisgender simply means your gender identity matches your born gender.

Now let's complicate it.

I have a penis, I like having a penis. But I in no way identify with what our culture (and gay culture in particular) deems as "masculinity."

Posted by: QJ201 | Nov 11, 2010 9:01:01 AM

13. Well I can understand speaking up about words used to hurts but using this as an example of tranny being used to hurt is a bit off base so should we just outlaw the Rocky Horror Picture Show all together and it's kinda strange that no trannies spoke up on the nataional news all the ones I know in my town did'nt care.

Posted by: Jeremy | Nov 11, 2010 9:01:55 AM

14. I do think some transgender people bully gay men calling them "cis gay men".

They hate use, because sadly, gay men get more media attention that those who are transgender.

So they recent us & hate us, like IDTS. & CRISPY is right, there is like these extremist trans people who have created more words, 'cause since they recent us they want to be out of the LGBT & be a lonely group.

Cisgender means you are comfortable with the sex you were born with.

So, the thing is, I'm a gay man, I don't care if it's a lesbian, a straight ally, a bisexual or a transgender who is there talking about gay issues, as long at that person is defending me.

Yes, trangender people, they should have more trans on TV talking about this, but at least this "cis gays" are defending you, yes they are not trans, but even if you are trans and not gay you can still go on TV and defend us gays(& stop using "cis gays" as a term for bullying us as "not worthy of talking about trans because you are not one", it's hateful, I feel offended while I try to support you too).

Separating the LGBT IS NOT THE ANSWER. Great, create MORE CONFLICT in this group where we only HAVE conflict.

& again, only because I'm a "cis" gay I'm still entittled to defend you & talk nicely about you, even if I'm straight, just as I love when trans defend lesbians, straight allies & us gay men.

You can say I'm a "cis" gay, just to say I'm a gay man who is comfortable with the sex he was born with, but now you are using it all angry to express that because we are "cis" we are unworthy to talk about, represent, defend & help out trans peers. & that hurts me a lot, A LOT.

Thank you for reading, peace, ok?

Posted by: Alosjs | Nov 11, 2010 9:18:25 AM

15. Are Trannys Gay?

Posted by: Royyy | Nov 11, 2010 9:22:15 AM

16. 1. The anti-gay movement gets more reaction when they get people to think about sex (think about your parents having sex). They don't want to use the word "gay" because it doesn't make you think of sex. Now think about homo-SEXUAL; See, it brings ups the sex part and ONLY the sex part.

2. L-G-B-T .........The "L" is lesbian - gay. The "G" is gay - gay. The "B" is bisexual - only when they're acting gay does it get them into trouble. The gay movement is about liking someone of the SAME sex. Now the "T" - For decades I've been preached at that transgendered has nothing to do with attraction to the same sex. Attaching the "T" to our wagon makes people think we all want to dress up as the opposite sex or play the opposite sex (How many times have you heard "Who plays the man and who plays the woman?). I know the transgendered don't want to be discriminated against, but neither does NAMBLA and we don't relate to them either.

3. Good Lord, you need a book to keep up with all the different names the transgendered want you to use. And I'm sorry if you feel like a women, but if you have a penis I don't want you sharing a bathroom with my mother or sisters.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 11, 2010 9:30:14 AM

17. Who said I hate gay men? Trans women aren't out oppressing cis (oops) gay men because cis gay men have more privilege than trans women and can't be oppressed by trans women who are already an even more marginalized class with higher rates of suicide, homelessness, joblessness, and who are constantly victims to the mainstream gay movement (hi HRC) who will throw the entire trans community under the bus at any opportunity.

Please stop acting like you're a victim of some angry tranny comment.

The fact is, cis gay men do not have the same experience that trans people do. No one is asking for a way out of the LGBT community, we're just asking that you respect us and don't throw us under the bus to further the equal rights for white cis gay men as opposed to the PoC in the LGBT community and T.

No one told you that you can't speak nicely about trans people or defend us but stop playing the bullshit "But I'm a good ally!!!" card. The fact is, the show was irresponsible for not putting a trans woman on the panel when the issue DIRECTLY effects her. Cis men and women have nothing to lose by being called a "tranny."

Posted by: idts | Nov 11, 2010 9:33:06 AM

18. haters gonna hate etc

Posted by: idts | Nov 11, 2010 9:33:36 AM

19. Ew but I hate Jeff. Bye girl, I'll say hi if I see your sister in the bathroom next time I'm invading her womynly space.

Posted by: idts | Nov 11, 2010 9:35:10 AM

20. How do you even pronounce that? It's 'sis' like in sissy, right?

Posted by: crispy | Nov 11, 2010 9:42:12 AM

21. A lot of catty, ignorant gay men in this thread who have the nerve to speak on behalf of transgendered people.

Would you like someone who doesn't share your experience to suddenly proclaim that a word is unoffensive when it has always been offensive to you. I don't care if you've heard the word in the SF drag scene. That doesn't mean it's appropriate to say it.

Most of you gay men have NEVER consistently stood up for the rights of folks who aren't like you.

But somehow you then expect your rights and your understanding of terms to be protected and defended--all the way to the White House (and Lord you just love to bash President Obama but never/rarely individual members of Congress by name and deed).

GAY MEN: If transfolk think "tranny/tranney" is offensive the LISTEN to their views!

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WISH DONE UNTO YOU!

Posted by: Brenda | Nov 11, 2010 10:07:53 AM

22. The use of the word "tranny" in the Glee episode referring to a transvestite (like in Rocky Horror), not a transgendered person. I mean, am I wrong? Do people dress like a transvestite or a transsexual? Transvestite is all about the clothing, as implied by use of the word in the context of the show. GLAAD actually looks pretty stupid here, they're the only ones making a stink about this. The two are not the same thing, they just happen to share a common prefix. My mechanic said my tranny needs to be fixed. Does GLAAD need to teach everyone that works on car transmissions to be more sensitive?

Posted by: Morgan | Nov 11, 2010 10:09:21 AM

23. I've never once heard the word "tranny" used in a derogatory context. For me, the word is on par with a white guy being called Caucasian -- two words for the same thing, neither with any kind of emotional weight attached. So I'm not sure "tranny" could even be used as an insult.

Posted by: Josh | Nov 11, 2010 10:32:06 AM

24. "Tranny" became pejorative when Cristian Siriano popularized using it as an all-purpose expletive on Project Runway. "Hot Tranny Mess." Remember? Lots and lots of gay guys started using "tranny" the same way teenage girls use "gay." Remember?

I think it's hilarious that a bunch of gay guys think they get a vote in what language is offensive to transgender people. It was not the single use of that word that made the episode offensive, either. Removing the work "transsexual" from "Sweet Transvestite" was weird.

And the transgender community is understandably wary after NIP/TUCK, where he proved to be both remarkably sensitive to them in some episodes and completely willing to treat them as freaks and monsters in others.

Posted by: Vector Shente | Nov 11, 2010 10:43:26 AM

25. The pejorative term in the phrase "hot tranny mess" is "mess," not "tranny."

Posted by: Josh | Nov 11, 2010 10:46:04 AM