Democratic Party | Gore Vidal | Jimmy Carter | Michelle Bachmann | Michigan | Minnesota | Republican Party

Watch: GOP Audience Gasps as Michelle Bachmann Tells Them She Was Once a Democrat, Worked for Jimmy Carter

Bachmann

At a speech to Michigan Republicans in Troy on Tuesday, Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) elicited gasps from the audience as she told them she was once a Democrat.

Michelle Bachmann says she was a "fair-minded Democrat" who worked on Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign (and danced at his inaugural ball before she read a "snotty" novel by Gore Vidal that she perceived as mocking the Founding Fathers.

"And as a reasonable, decent, fair-minded person who happened to be a Democrat, I thought, 'You know what? What he's writing about, this mocking of people that I revere, and the country that I love, and that I would lay my life down to defend -- just like every one of you in this room would, and as many of you in this room have when you wore the uniform of this great country -- I knew that that was not representative of my country."

"And at that point I put the book down and I laughed. I was riding a train. I looked out the window and I said, 'You know what? I think I must be a Republican. I don't think I'm a Democrat.'"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ha! Just like that psycho who is with GOproud, Tammy Bruce.

Why were they Democrats truly in the first place? This shows how this is about show and not about 'dying for this country' you love but scoring points.

Jimmy Carter must have been crazy to lets her work on his campaign because she is so dumb.

Urgh, they are all dumb politicians. It's all a slimy game for egoists. Very rarely you get genuine ones like Patrick Murphy he got kicked out because the Democrats were upset with Obama and log Cabin plus GOproud got their kapo gays to vote him out.

Even though he was the person that spearheaded DADT.

Oh well.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 31, 2010 10:04:49 AM

2. So the pursuit of happiness isn't for government to provide the infrastructure for healthy, successful nation for all? The pursuit of happiness as per the founders meant to keep the fruits of your labor?These anti-tax nincompoops are going to bring down all that is good in this country. And Bachmann is the queen of the nincompoops!

Posted by: jcloud | Dec 31, 2010 10:08:10 AM

3. Hmmm, I suspect that it may also have had something to do with the kool-aid she drank.

Posted by: Barry F | Dec 31, 2010 10:12:28 AM

4. What the hell is she wearing?

Posted by: margueritegautier | Dec 31, 2010 10:12:30 AM

5. Crazy eyes is a stumpy little beyotch isn't she?

Posted by: van | Dec 31, 2010 10:20:44 AM

6. GASP...Jimmy Carter!!
    3 decades after his Presidency how anyone can not see the prophetic words, and the balance and sensibility that a good portion of the policies he tried to institute were sound, reasonable, and needed...I don't get it. Jimmy Carter in the long haul of history will one day be seen as the good and just leader he was in that time of American and world power.

Posted by: Bobo | Dec 31, 2010 10:23:51 AM

7. So Gore Vidal turned her into a Republican?

Posted by: ichabod | Dec 31, 2010 10:35:22 AM

8. Thank you, Mr. Vidal!

Posted by: Taylor | Dec 31, 2010 10:53:48 AM

9. The Christian Ayn Rand? I bet she read The Fountainhead too. What a mishmash of balderdash -- and people suck it up.

Isn't there anyone living in Michigan who can get more votes AND lives in the 21st century? Really, is this the best they can do?

Posted by: Good for Gore | Dec 31, 2010 10:59:02 AM

10. So What??!! I once watched FAUX news and they turned me into a full blooded liberal! It's not what you watch or read,but rather,what you observe from the political parties. I've seen no successful (or new) ideas from them-only dirty tricks and intolerance!

Posted by: mrr | Dec 31, 2010 11:03:47 AM

11. Obviously she's a conservative. One needs a brain to read Vidal.

Posted by: RJ | Dec 31, 2010 11:11:41 AM

12. So she finally admitted her problem: "I don't think". As if we didn't already know that! Thank you, Gore Vidal, for chasing this idiot over to the Repugs.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 31, 2010 11:18:01 AM

13. In the race for dunce it is a three way race with Bachmann, Palin and O'Donnell running neck and neck to be crowned by their prince Glen Beck.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 31, 2010 11:21:55 AM

14. Ah, I see! She may not agree with what you say, but she will defend to the death the right to say that you should not say it.

Posted by: Andrew W | Dec 31, 2010 11:23:56 AM

15. The lemmings who applaud her. That's disturbing.

Posted by: Philo | Dec 31, 2010 11:34:26 AM

16. it's hard to comprehend how fuckin' ignorant this know-nothing is.

She can't begin--can't EVEN begin--to grasp Vidal's critique. She doesn't even grasp that the people who first put "The United States of America" down on paper were--men. Not saints, not angels, but men--men of privilege, no less. Vidal simply makes no bones about that in his writing.

Bachmann prefers the world of banal patriotic songs sung by mindless nitwits. She understands NOTHING. NOTHING.

Which explains why she talks so much.

Posted by: Danny | Dec 31, 2010 11:35:11 AM

17. Obviously, she does not own a mirror or did she think that outfit was flattering? Did someone cut her legs off at the knees? What a funny-looking thingamabob she is.

Posted by: mad1026 | Dec 31, 2010 11:41:30 AM

18. and then her brains leaked out of her vagina......

Posted by: pslkjr | Dec 31, 2010 12:10:02 PM

19. Where's the proof? I don't believe anything this sorry excuse blathers.

Posted by: homer | Dec 31, 2010 12:17:10 PM

20. I had never seen her from the chest down. This explains a lot. No wonder she has such a hard time dressing appropriately, besides lack of taste and judgment.

Posted by: ahso | Dec 31, 2010 1:14:05 PM

21. Founding fathers to all women

"STFU & get back in the kitchen"

She and palin both don't realize that the "founders" instituted no rights what so ever for women

She not only couldn't serve in office but also could not vote or own property if she lived under the rule of the founders

STFU all conservative women or you are heretics to what the founders stood for

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Dec 31, 2010 1:31:09 PM

22. Did the Republican party give her cankles?

Posted by: Troy | Dec 31, 2010 2:04:21 PM

23. And hopefully 200 million Americans see this idiot on video and realize they really should be Democrats.

Posted by: RomanHans | Dec 31, 2010 2:35:24 PM

24. This is not really all that surprising unless you mistakenly believe that the Democrats are a liberal/progressive party. After all, the strategy of Jimmy Carter (1976–80) would prefigure something closer to Rove and Bush. Carter was the first occupant of the Oval Office to declare himself a born-again Christian. He aimed to win back the South from George Wallace by mobilizing the Evangelicals, while at the same time implementing an aggressively right-wing foreign and economic policy: supporting Somoza and the Shah, funding the Islamists in Afghanistan; cutting social spending at home and implementing the interest hike of the ‘Volcker shock’. But Carter antagonized the Catholic component of his coalition, and his spending cuts alienated working-class voters who still embraced the ideology of the New Deal.

Posted by: Lonnie | Dec 31, 2010 2:42:32 PM

25. So she just said she changed political parties because she read something in a book she did not like, that had nothing to do with political parties but most likely did have something to do with reality.

Yup - she really is as stupid as they get.

Posted by: Tony X | Dec 31, 2010 5:21:27 PM