Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | Robert Gibbs

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Robert Gibbs Expresses Confidence on 'DADT' Repeal

Gibbs

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs expressed confidence about repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" as part of his 'First Question' online forum today on YouTube, saying the White House would get the job done.

Gibbs told reporters at the press briefing shortly thereafter:

“The president — I’m not going to get into a list of who — but the president has through the course of the past several days made calls to Democrats and Republicans on two very important issues: passage of the DREAM Act and repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.’ I think we are — on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ — I think we are very, very close to seeing that repeal happen. We’ve had important endorsements over the past few days that I think in many ways is the result of the process and survey that the Pentagon issued last week. The president is hopeful and encouraging Democrats and Republicans to get behind that.”

This all happened prior to the flurry of activity in the Senate. No late word from the White House.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Would anyone care to rate the credibility of Gibbs or the White House?

Posted by: candide | Dec 8, 2010 7:15:06 PM

2. I wish I could get excited about it, but I just don't expect much from them on promises anymore.

Posted by: Alpha | Dec 8, 2010 7:16:46 PM

3. Sadly, if his lips are moving, he's lying.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 8, 2010 8:53:28 PM

4. The puppet of the Liar in Chief.

Posted by: Josh | Dec 8, 2010 10:36:27 PM

5. The difference between a liberal and a cannibal is that a cannibal won't eat his own. I am so sick and disgusted with the liberal purists who post on this site and who don't understand one thing about the necessity of pragmatism in getting things done in Washington. Many of you people make me want to disagree with my own deeply held beliefs - you are so damn annoying. I don't want to be thought of as being in the same camp with you.

Obama has a liberal heart, but a pragmatic head, which is why he will get this done for us. Maybe then you will stop embarrassing the gay community and focus your hate on the real enemy - the Republicans.

Posted by: JimSur212 | Dec 8, 2010 11:54:42 PM

6. BS jimsur

obama has never claimed to be a liberal, cite one time that Obama said he was liberal and or progresive?

We all knew he was a triangulating repub-lite conservedem, the shock is in realizing how great of a republican he is.

pragmatism is negotiating from strength not capitualting on every demand the repubs wanted and then some (all repubs in shock they got an even better deal on estate tax than they expected) without even negotiating

Obama might as well leave the dem party and declare himself a repub

F Obama and i supported him since iowa and voluntered for him

F Obama and any dem that sides with his selling out the middle class to the oligarchs

Posted by: [email protected] | Dec 9, 2010 12:22:37 AM

7. Fuzzy if you're going to bring my name up all the time, and I can't imagine why you feel the need to do this, please don't misrepresent my position. Read my blog and get back to me. And I care what Keith Olbermann says about as much as I care what Cher says.

Posted by: Taruna Oils | Dec 9, 2010 12:46:17 AM

8. Worse WH Press Secretary since Ari Fleisher...and that's not saying much.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Dec 9, 2010 12:57:17 AM

9. I am starting to think that Obama might just be able to get more accomplished with the rethugs than with the do nothing dems.

Posted by: mymy | Dec 9, 2010 1:07:05 AM

10. It's odd how so many people have such great warm fuzzy feelings for Bill Clinton, when it was on his watch that we got DADT and DOMA. But the fact that Obama hasn't repealed them both in just two years means we should lose complete faith in him. The reality is often contentious measures come down to the wire. He doesn't waste time and energy until he needs to. Let John McCain make a fool of himself and then step in after everyone is tired of hearing the same old claptrap and get the job done. I may eat my words before the end of the year, but I once heard a great tidbit of advice from Zbigniew Brzezinski, that in diplomacy sometimes the best thing you can do is stall in order to evetually get what you want.

Posted by: spiderseye | Dec 9, 2010 1:48:44 AM

11. What a song and dance, what a rigmarole, what a lot of shit it takes for a gang of bigots to change a law that is unconstitutional.
    Let the \Courts tell them how they screwed up.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 9, 2010 2:58:19 AM

12. So people expressing their strong opinions and beliefs is "an embarassment" because they don't fall lockstep with yours or the President's? Anything but blind trust is "an embarassment"?

That's pretty much all I need to hear from this site - and I've been reading the like on too many gay sites over the last couple of years. Glad it works for you; it doesn't for others. Enjoy your site.

Posted by: Tigerama | Dec 9, 2010 6:36:45 AM

13. tigerama

don't dismiss towleroad due to some of the posters here.

Posted by: [email protected] | Dec 9, 2010 9:19:59 AM