Fashion Men | iPad | News

Does this iPad Make Me Look Gay?

Or something like that, writes the NYT, in the made-up trend story of the week:

Ipad Call it the male iPad dilemma: too large to slip into a pants pocket, too stiff to be curled up like a magazine and too precious to leave unprotected. With its rigid tablet shape, Apple’s iPad has raised an awkward consideration for many men: how to carry it in a manner that is practical and yet, well, masculine.

The shame:

But guys who want to lug around their iPads are finding themselves quietly reaching for a so-called man purse, or murse. The iPad-shaped bags seem to be the gadgetphile’s equivalent of a woman’s clutch...But even the most fashionable iPad bag can be mistaken for a murse. Some men are so stymied by the iPad’s shape that they have avoided buying one. 'How do you carry it?' asked Keith Nowak, a 27-year-old entrepreneur in New York City. 'It’s this weird in-limbo device. It’s why I haven’t gotten one: I don’t know what I would do with it.' But he still wrestles with iPad envy. 'It’s supercool, and I want one,' he said.

Comments

1. Oh, PLEASE. How stupid.

I'd LOVE to have one...but they're too expensive for me right now. If I had the means to afford one, I wouldn't give a damn about any "masculinity" issues.

Posted by: Terry | Dec 17, 2010 2:27:15 PM

2. Gay men have a reputation (deserved or not) for shallow style over substance, and that is the iPad 100%, hell, its Apple 100%. Its too big to be mobile, its the wrong shape for movies (nothing is 4:3 these days), its over priced given its inherent lack of features due to iOS, but it is pretty!!

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 17, 2010 2:33:21 PM

3. Anyone who has sexual insecurity issues to the extent that they wring their hands over how they appear carrying an iPad around, wouldn't have bought one in the first place...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Dec 17, 2010 2:36:05 PM

4. I feel the dilemma. I'm known to carry a man purse from time-to-time, but only if I really have a lot of stuff. Gay or not, I prefer to travel only with what will fit in my pockets (and love colder weather for the extra pocket opportunities it provides).

So the true reason I haven't bought an iPad, cool as it is, is -to me- it's NOT portable. I already have an iPad Nano, that also takes pictures and makes phone calls - and that one IS portable for a guy like me who's not too fond of the man purse look.

(It's not a matter of sexual insecurity. I carry a murse when I need to. I just think it's a poor look, even with a snazzy murse.)

That all said, when the iPad evolves to be a full-fledged computer - I will get one.

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 17, 2010 2:46:24 PM

5. I have a brand new invention that I've filed multiple patents for; very innovative, it's called a BRIEFCASE!

Posted by: Hue-Man | Dec 17, 2010 2:50:29 PM

6. how does this have anything to do with sucking cok?

Posted by: basil | Dec 17, 2010 2:50:50 PM

7. "Some men are so stymied by the iPad’s shape that they have avoided buying one"

further proof that straight men are pathetic morons.

Posted by: gaylib | Dec 17, 2010 2:51:40 PM

8. I have lived in New York for fifteen years and I have YET to come across a man who does not carry some sort of bag with him most of the time.

How hard did they have to search to find the one geek in new york who worries about how his gadget looks?

Posted by: TC | Dec 17, 2010 2:53:31 PM

9. Whatever you think of the technology Apple uses in its products, it does have an image problem for many. Its devices are feminine, and popular with women, the more camp gay male arty students with rich parents and hipsters. All four groups are not known for their techno savvy. The well publicised issues of poor feature support, high price and condescending Apple management do make Apple users look like idiots.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 17, 2010 2:58:41 PM

10. I agree with Hue-Man. A briefcase or messenger bag should easily solve this non-issue. I'd imagine that a good number of people in the market for one of these (I not being one of them) would already have a laptop, and wouldn't this fit in a laptop bag rather easily? This being "stymied" over how to carry a gadget seems beyond silly to me. Just beyond.

Posted by: Joey | Dec 17, 2010 3:03:44 PM

11. The answer is YES, this iPad makes you look VERY gay.

Get over it

Posted by: Johnn | Dec 17, 2010 3:07:47 PM

12. If you're worried about your masculinity, just get one of the new Man Pouches from Scrotum (TM).

Posted by: BobN | Dec 17, 2010 3:17:28 PM

13. messenger bags have been around for how long?....lol silly.

Posted by: larson | Dec 17, 2010 3:21:25 PM

14. This is bullshit.
    I live in NYC and everyone carries a backpack, messenger bag or what not.

NON-ISSUE. oh and stupid.

Posted by: Truth Patrol | Dec 17, 2010 3:22:47 PM

15. Briefcase anyone? Jeez, what has happened to the men of America? ALL of them...

Posted by: Scott | Dec 17, 2010 3:33:22 PM

16. @Rovex: Apple products are "feminine"? How, exactly? I've heard---and made---many attacks on the company and its products over the years, but that's a first. (I'll concede that those colorful Macs from about 8 years ago were cheery and so could be construed as feminine, but nothing since then.) And the three (not four) groups you identify are absurd. Go to Silicon Valley and other tech areas and big cities and you'll see that quite a broad spectrum of people use Apple products, particularly on the West coast.

By the way, I don't own any Apple products aside from an iTouch, so it's not like I'm one of those Apple fanatics.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 17, 2010 3:35:25 PM

17. an oversized itouch is not worth this much discussion and worry.

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Dec 17, 2010 3:39:25 PM

18. Paul R.. Its feminine because it has rounded edges, soft curves and gentle styling. Its not hard edged, industrial or sharp in any way. Its VERY feminine indeed or at the very last, its very soft. Personally i find such styling vile and offensive. Its incredibly ugly, like all Apple products.
    I think the issue here is not just the bag its carried in but the issue of being seen in public using one. Id die of shame.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 17, 2010 4:17:09 PM

19. EVERYONE GO TO JOSH'S WEBSITE! Even if you are not a f**king idiot like him.

Posted by: Josh is an @ss | Dec 17, 2010 4:20:29 PM

20. ROVOX: It's called minimal and modern. No one wants clunky, unaesthetic, non-ergonomic gadgets. It's not the 70s or 80s anymore where everything was boxy, and clunky.

Posted by: tyn | Dec 17, 2010 4:26:21 PM

21. I carry a laptop bag almost everywhere I go; whether you're a student or a professional, chances are you have to have a bag of some kind anyways. There should be no need to run out and get an iPad specific bag.

Posted by: Zach | Dec 17, 2010 4:27:08 PM

22. "Personally i find such styling vile and offensive."

You're offended by femininity?

Posted by: Zach | Dec 17, 2010 4:28:09 PM

23. @rovex: is your penis feminine? if its not hard edged or sharp in any way, it sure is.

ps. keep it away from me...gurl

Posted by: basil | Dec 17, 2010 4:28:09 PM

24. @rovex: is your dlck feminine? if its not hard edged or sharp in any way, it sure is.

ps. keep it away from me...gurl

Posted by: basil | Dec 17, 2010 4:29:41 PM

25. I love my iPad and carry it around in the black flexible case from Apple.
    Don't need a bag for it and its not too heavy.

Posted by: Forrest | Dec 17, 2010 4:34:08 PM