‘Traditional Marriage’ Organization’s Leader Launches Personal Scarf Crusade to Take Rainbow Symbol Back from Gays

Rainbowscarf

Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse of the NOM-Affiliated Ruth Institute, is trying to get the rainbow back from gays. She says:

"Proposition 8 was passed by a great grassroots coalition that included people from all across the religious traditions, and also people of every race and color," Morse recognizes. "We are the real rainbow coalition. The gay lobby does not own the rainbow."

She tells OneNewsNow that she wore a rainbow-colored scarf to the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals hearing on Proposition 8 as a statement to signify that supporters of traditional marriage still own the symbol.

"We can't simply let that go by. Families put rainbows in their children's nurseries. Little Christian preschools will have rainbows…Noah's Ark and all the animals…. Those are great Christian symbols, great Jewish symbols," the Ruth Institute president points out.

I agree with Dan Savage, who writes: "Let's make a deal: give us our full civil equality—repeal DOMA, let us marry legally in all fifty states, end DADT, pass ENDA, stop torturing gay kids to death—and we'll let you have your f**king rainbows back."

I managed to track down a photo of Morse standing outside the courtroom on December 6 and as you can see, her "rainbow scarf" is a major FAIL. Sorry lady, that doesn't look like any rainbow flag I've ever seen. If you really want to throw down you're going to have to get more Gilbert Baker than that.

Comments

1. Todd in NYC says

Seriously, these people need to find something better to do with their lives. I mean, what about helping the homeless or something a bit more productive.

2. Tony X says

they just do not get it – we all are represented in the rainbow – gay, bi and straight

they just NEED to project that they are superior to others (shh deep down inside they do not like themselves – which is why they NEED to say they are superior)

3. says

Andy the Ruth Institute is not “affiliated” it is fronted by and part of the NOM. Calling it “affiliated” makes it seems like a whole different group of people who just have ties to NOM instead of being a part of NOM

We need to start exposing these umbrella groups for what they are because they were originally created to make the number of anti-gay groups seem larger and thier hate more pronounced by more people.

4. Matt26 says

Just because they say they want it back, doesn’t mean it will happen. It has been a symbol for gays etc for such a long time. But I agree with DS, perhaps we should make a deal, every gay everywhere in this planet will get full civil equality and then the flag is theirs. Sounds fine to me.

5. GregV says

Yellow, pink, red and blue with black stripes. I guess she thinks that’s what all the gay women are wearing.

Dan Savage said it very well. I actually find it quite hilarious when I hear anti-gay religious fanatics complaining that we took the word gay away from them, and we took the rainbow away from them. They’re so repressed that they become terrified of anything associated with homosexuality.
    My university had a “blue jeans day” on which they advertised that gay people would be wearing blue jeans. One ignoramus who wore blue jeans 364 days a year was in grey sweatpants that day and told me “I don’t have any problem with gays, I just don’t want anyone to influence what I wear, that’s all.”
    The day was really about exposing the ignorance of people who were so scared of catching “the ghey” and it obviously worked. They were as scared of blue jeans that day as they have become afraid of rainbows or singing “make the yuletide gay.”

6. says

It seems the depth of their selfishness knows no bounds. They really do want it all. They seem to forget, that just because gay people weren’t as open about their sexual orientation in bygone era’s, doesn’t mean we didn’t exist. We’ve been around since the advent of mankind. Truth be known, it was probably a gay person who first introduced color into an otherwise drab human existance. So try as they might, they will never take back that which was never theirs in the first place.

7. Rob says

The anti-same-sex marriage mission of NOM’s Ruth Institute supposedly is to “make marriage cool” by promoting the idea of lifelong, committed opposite-sex marriage.

First, what same-sex marriage has to do with opposite-sex marriage being cool or not is news to me. One has no influence on the other, Doctor!

Second, since Dr. Morse and the Ruth Institute obviously are failing big time at their stated mission (see US divorce rates), it seems she’s now trying to making fashion cool by adopting the gay rainbow symbol into every possible piece of clothing.

Ignorance simply knows no bounds. These people are boundless.

8. jakeinlove says

Maybe she should become a martyr of her scarf campaign and ‘accidentally’ strangle herself with it. No, I’m not advocating murder or suicide, I’m just putting it out there as an option.

9. Mike says

Hey! I’ll send this woman a FREE rainbow flag scarf if she promises to wear it! Let her walk around downtown and get called faggot or dyke. Or even worse, get beat up because people think she is gay. Maybe that will knock some sense into her.

10. Greywolf says

Hey, they want rainbows – great!

I can not wait to see little rainbow flag stickers on their cars, flags waving proudly in their front yards and their children wearing little rainbow rings and jewelery at school. Each and every one of them purchased from little gay businesses all over the nation.

Yup, rainbows everywhere – just like US!

11. JC says

I fervently wish I could just put these utter ignoramuses on my permanent “Ignore” list, but because the media actaully pays attention to these cretins we have to respond to their inane, illogical piles of male bovine fecal matter.

America; Land of the Not So Free, Home of the Incredibly Stupid.

~JC

12. says

Who the Hell does Dan Savage think he is? He does not speak to me or for me. Under no circumstances would I ever give up the rainbow symbol(and it’s foolish to even suggest such a thing)! Rainbow colors are the legitimate symbol of LGBT humanity, as well as of God’s Covenant with humankind. I do not think it’s a coincidence that we adopted it! I believe it was God’s will; Gnostic scripture suggests we are more intimately connected with those beams of light than anyone would suspect. This very silly and very petty initiative is just another religious Right Wing ploy to come between gender-neutral people and their connection to God.

13. Randy says

The religious rainbow is an arch.

The LGBT rainbow is parallel lines (as is the PEACE flag rainbow, in reverse order).

As for the Rainbow Coalition, that’s Jesse Jackson’s group, so she’ll have to take it up with them.

This is such a non-issue.

But I guess if conservative Christians are going to demand that these holidays and this season only belong to them, we can also expect them to demand that rainbows only belong to them too.

14. Lexxvs says

I won’t work. Bigots, overall, are fearful and insecure people. The sole idea that someone can confuse the profuse use of colors in their version of the rainbow flag with support for the gay cause would leave them frozen. Nice try though.

15. says

If your political base is semiliterate mouthbreathers and sisterfucking bible thumpers, you can’t really fire up the troops on issues of substance like foreign policy. So you have to invent a simple controversy that simple minds can embrace. RAINBOW FLAGS! OHMYGOD!

16. Skooter McGoo says

Who owns a rainbow? Those lucky enough to be standing in the moment after a storm. Talk about out of touch with reality. I beg your pardon Mame, but no one owns a rainbow. Your delusion is all in your mind. Perhaps you should go lie down for a bit, your color doesn’t look so good, as my grandma would say.

17. Matt S. says

Rob, if their aim is make marriage cool, they are idiots for not letting us get married. Gays are the trendsetters. We do something, and the straights copy us. If you want to promote marriage as cool, get some gays to marry.

18. hephaestion says

Where did “Dr. Jennifer Morse” get her PhD? Betty Bowers’ Online Bible College?
    Such stupidity is only worthy of one who has never read a single book or ventured beyond her own religious cult compound.