Chris Colfer | Darren Criss | Gay Youth | Glee | News | Television

Darren Criss and Chris Colfer Score for Gay Teens on EW Cover

Ew

Extra ran a preview last night of Entertainment Weekly's upcoming cover featuring gay teens on TV. Darren Criss and Chris Colfer are given both the cover and several inside shots.

It's a silly term, but if I were ever to use the word "adorkable" it'd be to describe these two.

More, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_chris_colfer

3_criss_colfer
(images superherofan)

Comments

1. Right click. Save image as, "Adorkable!"

Posted by: Adrian | Jan 20, 2011 8:55:06 AM

2. Darren is a cute and very talented guy. Here he is performing a song he wrote for the Very Potter musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_SGA46QxP4

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jan 20, 2011 8:59:26 AM

3. I still don't think their characters will wind up as a couple. I think Kurt's boyfriend will be his bully.

Posted by: wisebear | Jan 20, 2011 9:22:54 AM

4. We have come a long way, baby!

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Jan 20, 2011 9:30:33 AM

5. Horrors. Mr. Criss is tasty, but that insufferable little git Colfer is a real stomach turner.

Posted by: Roscoe | Jan 20, 2011 9:33:59 AM

6. Roscoe: You´re an idiot...

They are absolutely adorable.

Posted by: Matty | Jan 20, 2011 9:43:02 AM

7. Isn't is ironic that FOX 'News' & FOX Entertainment sit on polarized ends of the same corporation?

I'm sure the premiere of this episode will parallel the hand-wringing over at the 'news' division.

Posted by: pete N sfo | Jan 20, 2011 9:44:43 AM

8. Well all know that Grover Norquist is ever-so-much butcher -- don't we now "Roscoe"?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 20, 2011 9:44:52 AM

9. Earth to NOM et al, you have officially lost the culture war...

Posted by: ichabod | Jan 20, 2011 9:44:52 AM

10. I would have pooped my pants if I saw this when I was a teenager. Eighteen years ago, I would have taken advantage of it and created conversation around it, just to begin to spin the spine that was to be used for coming out one year later. I did that a lot when I was a kid, unknowingly (collecting gay-related media). Except this would have only been, like, the second or third thing I collected in years because there wasn't very much around then...

Posted by: La Garza | Jan 20, 2011 9:46:27 AM

11. What an awful message it would send to bullied teens to have Kurt romantically involved with the guy that bullies him. What next a very special episode on S/M rituals?

Posted by: ggreen | Jan 20, 2011 10:13:42 AM

12. @GGREEN - S/M has nothing to do, when practiced correctly, with violence or bullying. The watchwords for those of us who are not self-hating losers are "safe, sane and consensual." What the bully on Glee has done is none of those things.

As for the cover and photo shoot - amazing. I guess Ryan Murphy and the folks at Glee have officially decided to let us know that Blaine is, in fact, the boyfriend for Kurt. Not exactly what Murphy initially stated, in terms of who he is, but a fantastic couple just the same.

I was one of those who initially rooted for the bully, if only because the actor playing him was so amazing in the kissing scene. I don't know what the script said or what his direction was, but it sure seemed to me that he really was attracted to Kurt, but couldn't deal with it. I still hope for some reconciliation of that story line - with the bully coming out or being outed - but at this point I don't think even the surreal universe of Glee could make a dramatic enough transformation of the bully character to create a believable romance. Once you threaten to kill someone, that's pretty much a deal breaker.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Jan 20, 2011 10:45:06 AM

13. @ LA GARZA - I totally agree. In my desperate youth, ANY recognition that there were other gay kids even in existence would have been a godsend.

The only character on TV was Stephen on "Dynasty" and he was a whining, self-loathing alcoholic closet case who married a woman. I thought that's how we HAD to end up, and I was terrified. It is not a complete hyperbole to say that characters and coverage like this SAVE LIVES.
    In recent years we have had:
    - Kurt Hummel (Glee) who gets a friend and promised romance
    - Justin Suarez (Ugly Betty) who came out to acceptance AND got an adorable long-term boyfriend
    - Riley (Degrassi)
    - Marshall (United States of Tara)
    Not to mention the positive, happy adult characters on Modern Family and Brothers and Sisters

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 20, 2011 10:45:50 AM

14. Very interesting! I'll have to look for this magazine when it hits news-stands. Thanks for keeping us up to date on these things.

Posted by: Ty | Jan 20, 2011 11:32:18 AM

15. Wait - Glee is doing Thriller? Sweet!

Posted by: SPIguy | Jan 20, 2011 11:39:07 AM

16. Is Chris Colfer physically capable of making any other expressions with his face? If so, he is hiding that fact well.

Posted by: Ral | Jan 20, 2011 12:01:09 PM

17. Look for "straight acting" gay men to bombard this thread with their blazing insecurity, self hate, and pure hate of effiminate gays. As a masculine gay men, I can tell you TRULY masculine gay men don't announce their masculinity, NOR do they feel threatened by the femeninity of others, NOR do they fixate on the mannerisms of every gay man. It's only the ones with severe Daddy issues who will target the fem gays...why? we hate most the very thing we see in ourselves. psychology 101. Yet too many self hating homos to grasp that notion.

For the self respecting gays who realize Harvey Milk stood hand in hand with drag queens, fem gays, and butch lesbians to liberate us TO ATTAIN MAGAZINE COVERS....let's embrace the diversity of our community, old, black, young, brown, fem, masculine, we need to promote more tolerance, NOT police people on how to lead their lives.

Posted by: IonMusic | Jan 20, 2011 12:18:39 PM

18. Congratulations Chris and Darren.

To Ionmusic: Thank you for expressing that. I'm a straight mother of a boy I've given life to, raised, and observed all his life. He has always had more fem traits, even as a 4 year old child, he stood out distinctevly for his body language and way of carrying himself. I will always make the argument that for many, behavior is a wired trait. I took note of my child's as any maternal instinctive mother would do, and did not fight it. I'm so thankful my loving, compassionate, kind boy was blessed with a family that accepted him for who he is, and did not dictate to him how a "man" should act, but instead thanks to the values of his father and I, showed him that a real man is one who faces this world unapologetically being himself.

I'm happy to say today my son is a well adjusted 18 year old man and loves this show and really identifies with Chris Colfer. As a straight ally, I can tell his Chris's experiences with his father have helped many straight people I know who just did not know how to approach this scenario.

Posted by: Michelle C. | Jan 20, 2011 12:27:17 PM

19. I think that Chris Colfer is the most adorable thing on t.v...the things I would do to that guy. Plus, in real life, he seems modest, sweet, with a real gentle spirit. As an alpha and agressive type guy, I will admit, I've got a big time crush Chris. And those lips of his don't hurt.

Posted by: JockAtlanta | Jan 20, 2011 12:37:11 PM

20. "David Ehrenstein": what do Grover Norquist and his alleged "butch" qualities have to do with the topic at hand?

Posted by: Roscoe | Jan 20, 2011 1:02:19 PM

21. "Isn't is ironic that FOX 'News' & FOX Entertainment sit on polarized ends of the same corporation?

POSTED BY: PETE N SFO"

So true, Pete. Between the shooting in Tucson and this, the right wing is having a bad month. Even Glenn Beck is admitting to liking Broadway Musicals, albeit the much plagued Spider-Man. What IS the world coming to?

Posted by: Carl | Jan 20, 2011 1:20:28 PM

22. Grats to Chris and Darren on the cover.

I'd feel better about Glee if the Kurt were more than just the cookie cutter stereotype Hollywood has been forcing on us for decades.

Diversity is great Ionmusic, now let's have a little more in the portrayals we get in the media. That is all we want.

Posted by: lankyguy | Jan 20, 2011 1:56:59 PM

23. Honestly, most of the gay guys I knew in high school, including myself, were a lot a like Kurt, and only later did I meet other sorts of gay guys. There are stereotypes for a reason, they didn't just get manufactured by Hollywood. Not all stereotypes are bad either, and most who are "stereotypical" also have interests or characteristics that are not stereotypical. Granted, it would be nice for the Glee writers to round out Kurt's character with some of these characteristics too, but such a meticulous rounding of character may be asking too much for a network TV show about high school kids. Maybe a cable series about college kids...hmmmm
    I'm just glad that the more positive, culture-enhancing aspects of the gay stereotype are played up with Kurt's character. Maybe not all gays can identify with Kurt, but I would venture that most of us can, and surely all of us can warm to a sympathetic portrayal of one of our own working out his place in the world as a young gay man.

Posted by: clint | Jan 20, 2011 2:25:52 PM

24. This makes me miss Justin from Queer as Folk.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Jan 20, 2011 3:31:14 PM

25. @ Pete n SFO: I think Murdoch Corp. will play to any demographic who'll help keep their profits up.

Posted by: latebrosus | Jan 20, 2011 4:05:24 PM