Awards | John Travolta | News | Ricky Gervais | Scientology | Tom Cruise | Will Smith

Watch: Ricky Gervais Mocks Closeted Gay Scientologist Actors

Gervaise

Among Ricky Gervais' first barbs of the night was this joke, aimed at speculation surrounding Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and Will Smith.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's Gervais' full opening monologue, which drew plenty of additional gasps:

Comments

1. Gervais was in top form last night - so funny. Every time the crowd gasped in horror I laughed louder. Awesome closing line too, "Thank you God for making me an atheist!" Gervais rules.

Posted by: EO | Jan 17, 2011 7:49:00 AM

2. The jokes were good but his timing and delivery were brilliant. One of the better award show monologues I've seen.

Posted by: sparks | Jan 17, 2011 8:24:47 AM

3. smart, acerbic, funny stuff...

He'll certainly never be asked back, but I loved it all.

Posted by: pete N sfo | Jan 17, 2011 8:58:03 AM

4. That line about closeted gay Scientologists was even funnier when the COS ran an ad later in the program.

Posted by: christopher | Jan 17, 2011 9:09:15 AM

5. Wait, what? What cave was I living in? I didn't know there were Will Smith gay rumors. I need to surf more of the internets. LOL.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jan 17, 2011 9:19:28 AM

6. You mean to tell me my daddy is gay?

Posted by: Suri Cruise | Jan 17, 2011 9:24:10 AM

7. Brilliant. I laughed so hard and the audience clearly wasn't ready for, which was probably the best thing (and they call themselves liberals, how about Fox News viewers watching the show).

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 17, 2011 9:34:17 AM

8. That monologue was absolutely hilarious.

Posted by: joe | Jan 17, 2011 9:55:43 AM

9. I don't think he was in any way referring to Will Smith; there are Smith gay rumors and there are Smith-as-secret-Scientologist rumors, but not enough for it to make sense in the context of his joke, which seemed to be about Travolta & Cruise. The Globes gutlessly refused to show Nicole Kidman reacting!

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 17, 2011 10:17:49 AM

10. Brilliant!! Hilarious!!!

Posted by: Roseann | Jan 17, 2011 10:36:37 AM

11. The man has balls! You want 'nice', hire Secrest.

Posted by: princely54 | Jan 17, 2011 10:57:07 AM

12. Ballsy bloke.

Posted by: brenda | Jan 17, 2011 11:09:11 AM

13. It's hard to give the Globes "edge", but he certainly pulled that off; watch the nervous reactions of the stars - do you laugh cause it's funny, or not? - and the tension in the room is palpable. I'm not sure it's a "you'll never work in this town again", but I suspect Gervais will pay some sort of price for it. My guess is at least Johnny and Angelina (if not Cher) have people to express their displeasure. I'm not trying to suggest it wasn't funny... but it was harsh. And Hollywood doesn't necessarily love harsh.

Posted by: weboy | Jan 17, 2011 12:21:33 PM

14. Ricky Gervais is my new Hero. Thank you.

Travolta --- Buzz much?

Posted by: Carter Hall | Jan 17, 2011 12:37:46 PM

15. That was great!

The gasping audience was really funny, though. If you're in Hollywood, you've no doubt heard the rumors. C'mon, they really reacted this way?

Guess it must be the influence that these particular actors have, or perhaps the influence of the COS.

It was a good, solid joke and I LMAO.

Posted by: The_Fixer | Jan 17, 2011 12:51:01 PM

16. I think Kathy Griffin must have written his jokes.

Posted by: stich | Jan 17, 2011 12:53:56 PM

17. I have a straight male friend with zero reason to lie and who had to be forced to tell the story that he's extremely uncomfortable with -- back when he would tell it at all -- who could tell you something very interesting about Will Smith. As for the Scientology, nobody does as much public stuff with them and for them without being one of them. It's obvious why he won't acknowledge the former but I have no idea why he won't admit the latter.

Posted by: justme | Jan 17, 2011 1:03:08 PM

18. Best awards show host ever!

Posted by: DerekWashington | Jan 17, 2011 1:05:33 PM

19. I found myself "gasping" at the Scientology/outing, along with most of Gervais' opening monologue. The commenter above nailed it when he said it was like Kathy Griffin was writing his jokes! It was like being at one of her shows, except this time all of the celebs she mocks were sitting in front of her - now that takes some serious balls.

You could feel the crowd turning against him as the night progressed, which made for extremely uncomfortable, but captivating, viewing. He was clearly pulled from the show for that hour he was missing and his intros upon returning were clearly rewritten to be more polite and tame. There was, ultimately, more mean spiritedness in his barbs than I found enjoyable, but I have to respect his ability to tell the Emperor he's not wearing any clothes.

He'll work in this town again, but it certainly won't be at the Golden Globes!

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Jan 17, 2011 1:23:04 PM

20. While the last joke (regarding Jose Garcia) was flat, the overall monologue was very good. Gervais is comedy gold.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jan 17, 2011 1:34:42 PM

21. I love his TAKE NO HOSTAGES style amid a bunch of gasping social hypocrites… they only gasp because he talks about what they're too scared to say aloud.

Posted by: SteveDenver | Jan 17, 2011 1:59:49 PM

22. Kathy Griffin writing his jokes? Well that's impossible, because many of them were funny. This was risque for the golden globes...which is why I didn't watch them. It's just a shame he couldn't have done his hitler routine.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 17, 2011 3:12:15 PM

23. This isn't the first time he's hosted them (though it was the first time I've watched). I suspect he was tired of all the BS surrounding the show, which is a farce, but he was hilarious.

I didn't recognize Angelina Jolie repeatedly. She looked odd---rather plain and not so corpse-y. Helena Bonham-Carter looked scary.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 17, 2011 3:45:13 PM

24. His gagging joke about Hefner's penis was a direct lift of Kathy Griffin's gagging joke about Anna Nicole blowing her ancient husband. Even the gestures were precise. It really did feel like she was writing for him. Not that I care. Love them both.

Posted by: kcj310 | Jan 17, 2011 5:03:38 PM

25. No, it wasn't. It really, really wasn't...because that bit, once again, wasn't funny...at all...and neither were particularly clever. Ricky Gervais was funny. Kathy Griffin isn't--taking over for joan rivers who similarly isn't funny...and the people who find her funny are themselves not funny, and fundamentally don't understand humor...they are walking laugh tracks. The funniest thing kathy griffin could do would be drown in a bowl of soup...get mauled by wild animals...or shot during a liquor store robbery.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 17, 2011 5:18:06 PM