Elton John | Gay Parents | Los Angeles | News

BigGayDeal.com

Report: Elton John's Baby Sleeps in His Own $2 Million Pad

It's unlikely that Elton John and David Furnish will be bothered in the middle of the night anytime soon to change little Zachary's diapers or get him a bottle, according to a Mail on Sunday report.

Sierra "Sir Elton John’s new baby son Zachary is ‘living like royalty’ in his own £1.3million ($2 million +) apartment adjoining the singer’s exclusive Los Angeles pad. The Mail on Sunday has learned that Sir Elton, 63, and his partner David Furnish have appointed a top Hollywood interior designer to turn the flat beside their luxury home into a dream nursery. Although the work is not yet finished, several months after it started, eight-day-old Zachary is already installed there, and looked after by round-the-clock nannies."

And some info on the surrogacy:

Lawyer Andy Vorzimer, who handled the paperwork for Sir Elton, said the couple chose to have their baby in California because it is the only place in the world where a couple taking a surrogate baby can be considered its legal parents before it is born. He said: ‘Once a judge signs a judgment, the baby is the legal child of the intended parents even though it is still in the womb of the surrogate. In the case of a celebrity being involved, all paperwork is sealed by the judge to protect the identity of both the child and the surrogate.’

A source close to the couple said: ‘Contrary to what has been written, they don’t know whether Elton or David is the dad. They also have other embryos available should they wish to have another child.’ Ms Bubrick confirmed: ‘It is quite common in the case of gay couples that both men will both contribute so neither knows who is the father. Of course, as the child grows, sometimes it becomes obvious.’

If you could afford to, would you do it this way?

Comments

1. If I could afford to, sure, though I'd be involved in the kid's life as much as possible. Though I wouldn't just leave the sperm thing to chance. You might as well have a rational discussion on who has better genes.

This setup should surprise no one. I'm sure Furnish also has a nice little place to go when Elton has his boy toys over.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 2, 2011 11:47:55 AM

2. they better start hiring the therapists now as well

Posted by: [email protected] | Jan 2, 2011 11:57:16 AM

3. Yeah, there is nothing better for a child's mental health than living in the lap of luxury, brought up by servants for parents old enough to be grandparents living in some distant city. Wasn't that how Paris Hilton got her start?

Posted by: candideinnc | Jan 2, 2011 12:05:22 PM

4. My husband and I were very happy with the adoption process. We didn't feel much of a need to produce little clones of ourselves. We just wanted to be fathers. As for having nannies raise your child, why bother having a child if you're not going to have normal interaction with that child?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 2, 2011 12:08:12 PM

5. Actually, given his ego, I'd be surprised if Elton isn't the biological father.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 2, 2011 12:10:33 PM

6. Sheesh, even if they had just bought a new pet they would probably have the thing sleep in the same apartment as them.

Posted by: Joseph L | Jan 2, 2011 12:11:39 PM

7. I find not wanting to know who the father is rather irresponsible, considering how important it is to know one's family medical history.
    And I hope the newspaper is wrong and the fathers are woken up by the baby's crying. Being a parent is also about making sacrifices.

Posted by: borut | Jan 2, 2011 12:12:09 PM

8. Let's hope Elton John doesn't start calling him Blanket.

Posted by: Wrecks | Jan 2, 2011 12:34:20 PM

9. I can understand wanting to keep the paternity vague, but putting him up in his own apartment: What's the point of going to all this trouble to have a kid if you're not going to be actively involved every day? I thought some of the reaction against this was over the top, but I'm...what is the point? Like Joseph L says, they'd probably keep a pet in the apartment with them, but not their kid? Zachary really is a designer bauble for a spoiled egotist.

Posted by: pParkerT | Jan 2, 2011 12:34:48 PM

10. When my husband and I had our first child, a girl, we knew it was my husband's from day one. . .we wanted our child to know her parents (both the surrogate and us). We've both been very involved in every aspect of her young life, and I can't imagine having a servant or nanny raise her in any way. While I would never condemn anyone for how they choose to raise their children, I hope that Elton and David are good ambassadors to the world in showing that we're just as good and responsible of parents as anyone else.

Posted by: Keith | Jan 2, 2011 12:48:34 PM

11. This is kind of f**ked up. At first I thought the accusation that this baby was just an accessor was unfair, but if you're not even going to live with your child and have other people raise him, then it starts to look like just an accessory. Also while it isn't fair, the reality is that this is just going to give homophobes more ammunition for while gay couples should not have children.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 2, 2011 12:56:23 PM

12. My partner and I actually discussed in length the lawyer vs. surrogate vs. open adoption scenarios and decided to adopt from a birthmother that we connected with. Both of our children were adopted this way and we have medical histories for each. We had a nanny for the first year (they were new borns and 6 months apart) so it was hard but it was just us after that and I agree with Borut, parenting is about love but also sacrafice and putting aside ones ego for the good of the family. I also agree with the posters about Elton's Ego being a possible problem as well as why the HELL the baby isn't sleeping in the same apartment. Paris Hilton version 2.0

Posted by: RONTEX | Jan 2, 2011 12:57:46 PM

13. And in a different line of thinking, may I say that the visual image of Sir Elton masturbating into a cup is incredibly wrong on so many levels?

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 2, 2011 1:00:29 PM

14. People used to be raised by nannies all the time, if they came from a well-to-do family. It was considered the norm. They did okay. This kid will too.

Everybody lay off. I really don't see how it's our business anyway.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 2, 2011 1:14:00 PM

15. Sour grapes, all of you.

Posted by: Tone | Jan 2, 2011 1:14:08 PM

16. Yeah, this really sucks, and only reinforces all the negative stereotypes that gays look on children as fashion accessories. Not that Elton seems much to care about such things.

Posted by: Shelly | Jan 2, 2011 1:15:41 PM

17. Sir Elton has been making gay men look ridiculous for years. Now he is busy making gay parents look bad.

Pampered and spoiled and egocentric, he is a pathetic excuse for a human.

Lucky for this poor kid, he'll be raised by hopefully loving nannies. As The Milkman pointed out, people who live in the economic stratosphere that Sir Elton inhabits seldom actually raise their own children. That is what servants are for.

Who says you can't buy love?

Posted by: Bucky | Jan 2, 2011 1:35:48 PM

18. Well, it's clear why Elton prostituted himself at the alter of Rush Limbaugh -- to pay for making this baby, the nannies to help raise it, and an apartment to put it in. It just needs a bow and plastic box to be placed in and they can sit it out on stage while Elton performs.

Posted by: B-rod | Jan 2, 2011 1:51:09 PM

19. Self indulgent, drug addicted and critical aren't great examples for children.

Posted by: ggreen | Jan 2, 2011 2:08:13 PM

20. Of course there will be an adjoining door, for the article to suggest otherwise is silly.

(And on a technical note, the Sierra Tower is actually in West Hollywood, not Los Angeles.)

Posted by: Gianpiero | Jan 2, 2011 2:10:29 PM

21. "Would you do it this way?"

You mean buy a luxury apartment and hire designers to turn it into a fantasy nursery?

Probably not.

You mean I suddenly inherited twelve billion dollars from Uncle Bloomberg (we're related?) and now I can do anything anything anything?

Baby maybe. Fantasy nursery? Probably not.

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 2, 2011 2:12:15 PM

22. Well, here's hoping little Zachary Rush does well in therapy, because that's where this train wreck is headed.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Jan 2, 2011 2:12:41 PM

23. Reg may make gay parents look bad, but NPH makes them look good. He and David didn't exile the little tykes to a separate residence. They just got a bigger house for all four of them (Dads and twins.)

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 2, 2011 2:22:41 PM

24. I would take anything the Daily Mail says with a grain of salt. It is traditionally targeted at the less literate of British society, and tends to print unbalanced articles of gay people and issues.
    In 2006, Elton John won a 100,000-pound suit against the Daily Mail for printing false allegations about him.
    I would imagine there is some truth here, but the slant is no doubt designed to get the reaction the newspaper wants.
    I know a couple who bought a next door condo and knocked out the wall in between, creating a larger home with the two parts blending seamlessly.
    If I were to ever come to the conclusion that Elton and David will be somewhere where they will rarely see their kid, I would have to have more evidence than a Daily Mail article.

Posted by: gregv | Jan 2, 2011 2:38:21 PM

25. Oh, please, stop with the class jealousy already. His original condo was only two bedrooms and they needed more space. The two units aren't going to remain separated.

As to them hiring nannies, well, that is what rich people do instead of putting their kid in childcare while they work, and given the age of the parents, it's not like they can get the grandparents to lend a hand.

As to the method of conceiving, if I had the money and it were up to me, I'd try for two kids, one from each father and preferably using the same female surrogate.

Posted by: El-Brucio | Jan 2, 2011 2:52:36 PM