TLC to Air Ted Haggard Reality Special with the Dramatic Title ‘Scandalous’, May Lead to Series

Haggard

TLC will soon premiere Ted Haggard: Scandalous, a one-hour reality show about his life, the L.A. Times reports:

(If successful, the special has the potential to spin out into a series.)

"My family and I endured the darkest hours imaginable in the public spotlight, and have spent the last four years fighting and struggling to rebuild our lives, our faith and our family," said Haggard in a statement. "Showing the world the new chapter of our lives will hopefully inspire others to find their own path to overcome their struggles and embrace the power of acceptance. The church is open to all, even those who have committed the darkest sins."

The special shows Haggard launching his new ministry in Colorado Springs, Colo. — the same town he left after the scandal.

TLC also airs Sarah Palin's Alaska.

Comments

1. RobH says

So he still thinks it’s a sin that he’s gay?

What exactly HAS he learned that he’s supposedly going to illuminate for the rest of us?

Good grief.

2. Paul R says

Change the comma to a semicolon in the title or move the comma inside the (sort of) quotation marks. Unless you’re British.

God hates Haggard and so do I. And I don’t believe in god. I had to convince my mother yesterday that Colorado Springs is not somewhere I’d like to move (she’s getting old).

3. CoMo'mo says

When Sarah MommaBear moves into the White House, Haggard could become the 21st century Billy Graham spiritual adviser to true Americans. The workings of god are mysterious.

4. says

@Toto, I’m patiently waiting for the day that TLC changes the name of their network. Ever since they discovered trash TV with Jon & Kate (which started out as a lesser watched, but much sweeter show), ‘learning’ has taken a serious backseat.

Kinda like Bravo, too, which used to be about the arts.

5. Bryan says

“My family and I endured the darkest hours imaginable in the public spotlight…”

“Darkest hours?” Oh please… You’re a christofascist neocon who got caught with your pants down. BFD. Every see a child die of leukemia?

It’s ironic that it’s his self-dramatizing screaming queen ways which make him such a successful closet case.

6. jamal49 says

The downside to reality TV shows. Oops! Wait! There’s no upside to realty TV shows. The bottom of the barrel from which these programs are dredged gets deeper and deeper and deeper.

7. John says

TLC, The Learning Channel… wtf…? With shows on fame-whores like Palin, Haggard and Gosselin, ugh… stopped watching this network a wile back, now I know why.

8. David says

Another classic case of we gays over simplifying situations for our own purposes. Haggard’s life is a really interesting contradiction. It should be noted that he doesn’t deny the fact that he’s attracted to other men. He believes in evangelism enough for him to spurn that. He’s made a personal choice, but it doesn’t mean he denies the fact that he’s been attracted to men. You can disagree with him, but you can’t in good faith call him hypocritical.

We exploit him as a sign of the hypocrisy of evangelism with gays, but there’s no evidence of that. It just easy to make it seem that way to meet different ends. THAT is hypocritical.