Comments

1. dizzy spins says

“cope with this situation”? What an insult to the brave men and women in the Armed Forces–to suggest they’ll barely be able to keep it together if gays can serve openly. During the 2008 election I thought McCain was a decent but misguided man–now its clear he’s an opportunistic slimebag. Someone put him back in the tiger cage.

2. johnny says

What’s oddly interesting, (and a huge example of this man’s ginormous, overreaching ego) is that this idiot actually has near-zero to do with the day-to-day lives of people in the military.

Regardless of your actions or attitude, those people will be just fine, McGrumpy.

3. Deryk says

So what exactly does he mean by ‘helping’?

This is a man who literally shouted during an interview that soldiers were never investigated improperly.. and that was AFTER sitting 12 ft from Mike Almy as Mike testified in Congress about what he went through. He still won’t meet with Mikey Almy since his (McCain) denying outburst.

I don’t trust this man or his intentions.. period.

4. walter says

why doesn’t he just fade into the background of history.his legacy is pushing the alaskan airhead, sarah palin, down our throat. isn’t that enough????

5. TampaZeke says

Because without McCain’s personal intervention the rape, molestations, mass exodus, massive recruiting shortages and complete collapse of morale and combat readiness would certainly happen.

Thank You, thank you, thank you Senator John McCain for saving us and our precious military from the evil homa-sek-shul menace.

When none of those things happen we will have YOU and ONLY YOU to thank. You will become the hero of DADT after all. At least in your own mind, and Hey, that’s always been good enough for YOU anyway.

Next thing you know John McCain will personally fix it so that it doesn’t snow in Washington DC in August and he’ll make rivers flow TOWARD the sea! We can never thank him enough.

6. Paul says

“I think I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible.”

I know this is just a grumpy old white man talking and words are often used to sound important even when the meaning translates differently, but that the heck is he actually saying here?

He is going to make sure the military has reduced capacities in these areas?

Or is this just a trip up as he tries to reverse course even when he doesn’t really mean it?

7. StillmarriedinCA says

@Paul- If you listen to the clip, the actual quote is “I think I’ve gotta to do everything I can to make sure that the… impact on moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible.”

Much as I hate McCain and would have liked to catch him in another verbal gaffe, he didn’t make the mistake–he was misquoted. Not fair to anyone, even McCain.

8. Scotty says

*Sniff* *Sniff* Oh my, this is so touching, it brought a few tears to my eyes. Thank you, Grampy McGrumperson, for dedicating yourself to protecting our precious, precious killing machine from the massive disruptions to its neo-colonialist mission overseas that will surely be caused by allowing homo rapists, molesters, drag queens, and bull dykes from running rampant through the ranks. Without your stern oversight of the implementation of this new (misguided, I’m sure you’ll agree) law, our battalions of thugs and killers who are making the world safe for Bechtel and Halliburton would be overrun with florists, hairdressers, and dykes riding Harleys in full black leather in Kandahar. God Bless You, Mr. McCain!!!