James Franco | News | Oscars

2011 Oscars: List of Winners

James Franco tweeted the video above just before going on stage to co-host the 83rd annual Academy Awards last night.

What did you think of the show, and Franco and Hathaway as hosts?

Imho it was one of the most tedious in years.

List of winners, AFTER THE JUMP...

Best Picture
"The King's Speech," Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers

Achievement in directing
"The King's Speech," Tom Hooper

Actor in a Leading Role
Colin Firth in "The King's Speech"

Actor in a Supporting Role
Christian Bale in "The Fighter"

Actress in a Leading Role
Natalie Portman in "Black Swan"

Actress in a Supporting Role
Melissa Leo in "The Fighter"

Animated Feature Film

Visual Effects
"Inception," Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
"The Social Network," Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin

Writing (Original Screenplay)
"The King's Speech," Screenplay by David Seidler

Comments

1. A truly boring Oscar night. Nobody seemed like a movie star. I must be getting old.

Posted by: Ken | Feb 28, 2011 7:47:23 AM

2. JUST THE WORST. FRANCO SEEMED BORED AND HATHAWAY SOUNDED LIKE A TEENY BOPPER TRYING TO GET NOTICED. BAD PRDOUCTION VALUES, BORING AND MUCH MUCH TOO LONG.

Posted by: KURT QUINTON | Feb 28, 2011 7:56:24 AM

3. I normally don't watch these shows, but did because of Franco. Was he high? He bombed big time. Hathaway wasn't much better. VERY boring and I turned it off 1/3 rd through.

Nice the King's Speech won though. Watched it last week. Nice little flick.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 28, 2011 8:11:22 AM

4. I thought it was fine, there were many previous Oscar shows that were longer and boring.
    Franco was Franco, adorable as ever. Some moments where flat, the staging was beautiful.
    I'm glad "The King's Speech" didn't sweep the show.

Posted by: Rob West | Feb 28, 2011 8:15:46 AM

5. Franco should have been more concerned with hosting rather than tweeting live backstage updates. He posted them on facebook as well.

Posted by: MG | Feb 28, 2011 8:19:22 AM

6. Haven't watched it in years- always boring and a snooze fest but in true Oscar fashion-saw this a.m. that Colin Firth was rewarded - a do over from when he should have won last year for "A Single Man"- the Oscars are always a year late in rewarding fine acting. Bravo Colin!

Posted by: nick | Feb 28, 2011 8:22:33 AM

7. James Franco SUCKED! Good lord! How horribly bored he looked. At least Anne took the time to, like, pre-read the material so she did not look like she was cold-reading off off a teleprompter! She was delightful, but him... Oy.

Posted by: Rad | Feb 28, 2011 8:24:50 AM

8. AWFUL! Unfortunately, Franco and Hathaway were way out of their depth! One the most boring Oscar's I have ever seen!

Posted by: John | Feb 28, 2011 8:25:36 AM

9. Every year is the worst one ever and this was no exception. I don't want to see James Franco's face again for a very long time.

Posted by: Brent | Feb 28, 2011 8:27:37 AM

10. ENNNNNNNNNNDLESS

All Hathaway was missing was pom poms. Franco was high as a satellite but inexplicably sobered up the minute he got in drag. Celine Dion singing I See Dead People was truly bathetic.

And where was the hook for Kirk Douglas?

Posted by: christopher | Feb 28, 2011 8:29:39 AM

11. Overall, I enjoyed the Oscars last night, although there were not many surprises along the lines of who would win. Anne Hathaway was bubbly and exuberant, and I thought she did a great job, although I do agree that she seemed like a "teeny-bopper" at times. As much as I like him personally and as an actor, I thought James Franco was a big disappointment. Even his sexy good looks could not make me interested in him for the evening . BRING BACK BILLY CRYSTAL!!! DUH!

Posted by: james Brown | Feb 28, 2011 8:34:46 AM

12. Princess Diaries meets hipster James Dean wannabe.

Posted by: Gus | Feb 28, 2011 8:41:51 AM

13. Colin Firth did a cool movie back in the 80's [I think late 80's] with a gay angle called 'Apartment Zero'. It takes place in Buenos Aires and was directed by Martin Donovan. Well worth watching.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 28, 2011 8:55:17 AM

14. Car crash is good, so I thought this was GREAT!

Not a big fan of celebs or the contrived pretentions of Oscar, sooo don't really care either way because the hail thing is one giant fake bag of crock.

Franco makes me laugh. What did people expect? Him to be like Hugh Jackman??? If he was, I would've stopped liking him because the reason I do is because he is so not Hollyweird.

Saying that, don't know why he did this. Its like Christian Bale hosting MTV.

Again though, I would find that hilarious but I have a crazy sense of humor and thought Ricky Gervais was god during the globes so....

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 28, 2011 9:00:26 AM

15. I think the word "tedious" summed it up quite well.

Why do the producers of this program think the viewers (or the attendees....they all looked bored as hell) want to see those cutesy filler routines? They can't all be necessary time-killers between setting up presentations.

Get on with it already. It's 24 awards every year. This could have been over in 90 minutes.

Posted by: Rock in Sunny FL | Feb 28, 2011 9:01:10 AM

16. I'm in my twenties so have only been watching the oscars for the last 10 years or so. This was by far the most lackluster and boring oscars I've seen. When I heard they were going with Franco and Hatthaway for hosts I was worried and sadly I was right.

They need to stick with a comedian or comedic actor, I.e. whoopi/steve martin.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 28, 2011 9:03:18 AM

17. The highlight of the night was seeing Franco in tights. Nice ass.

Posted by: Ken | Feb 28, 2011 9:11:20 AM

18. Worst. Oscars. Ever. And the bar was pretty low to begin with. The opening montage was the highlight and everything went downhill from there. Why do they insist on putting people like Kirk Douglas on a live show? And that ending! Who thought it would be cute to have a bunch of kids in t-shirts singing "Over The Rainbow". Judy Garland is surely spinning right now.

Next year they should consider having Sandra Bullock host. She managed to make her Best Actor presentation a thing of beauty (and I am not normally a fan).

Posted by: james in toronto | Feb 28, 2011 9:27:37 AM

19. Bring back Rob Lowe and Snow White!!! ;-)

Posted by: JSH | Feb 28, 2011 9:37:43 AM

20. The Bob Hope segment was ironic. I had just thought how great the Oscars were when they were all about actually presenting the awards instead of the cutsey comedy routines between presenters and seeing which presenter could have the longest walk to the microphone after being announced.

2011 Oscars = boring

Posted by: Bob | Feb 28, 2011 9:38:47 AM

21. Excruciating. The Oscars are dead.

Posted by: Rick S. | Feb 28, 2011 9:46:56 AM

22. I actually really liked Anne Hathaway. She made me laugh a bit. James Franco was abysmal. To this day I don't understand what people see in him. The drag bit was cringeworthy.

Did anyone else catch that guy from The King's Speech who thanked his boyfriend??! So cute!

Posted by: MT | Feb 28, 2011 9:48:19 AM

23. B-O-R-I-N-G. So much for the "young & hip" angle (really?!) with co-hosts Hathaway and Franco (was he sleep-waslking his way through this I-thought-it'd-never-end show?). Whatever happened to having the snappy comedian(s) host this gig? Sorry but I miss the old hosting days of Bob Hope, Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 28, 2011 9:57:32 AM

24. Yep, pretty dull. I thought Franco was adorable, looking all high and such ... and he did have one great ad lib about the F-bomb dropped. But yeah, kinda boring as host.

Perhaps a bad move to roll out Billy Crystal and Bob Hope for on-the-spot comparison, eh?

The opening montage was hysterical though, and I guess I can't fault the show for every single win being predictable and rote.

But yeah, overall ... snore.

Not even the fashions were terrible enough to enjoy.

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 28, 2011 10:03:12 AM

25. James in Toronto, how quickly we forgive Sandra and her Nazi husband!

Would they risk that with her dodgy sex pics still lurking about? He ain't gonna keep quite if she becomes Mz Popular again...

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 28, 2011 10:10:19 AM