Brendan Burke | Brian Burke | Hockey | News | Sports

Watch: CBS Sports Honors the Late Brendan Burke

Burke

In a touching CBS Sports segment, Miami University hockey players and coaches remember Brendan Burke, who made international news with his coming out story, and died a year ago in an apparently weather-related car accident in Indiana.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I graduated from Miami University the year Brendan was born. I couldn't imagine coming out there in 1988; I'm glad things changed by the time Brendan was there. Still, what a tragedy all around...

Posted by: YAR | Feb 9, 2011 8:53:40 PM

2. This and the video of the interview he did with his father about his coming out breaks my heart. What a waste of a charming, cute, courageous, young pioneer of our civil rights movement. This anniversary of the accidental death of him and his friend must be a very difficult time for all those who knew and loved them.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 9, 2011 10:13:14 PM

3. as always, Rest In Peace Brendan

Posted by: ACe | Feb 9, 2011 11:00:43 PM

4. It is amazing that he was only out publicly for 2 mths and the amount of good that he will affect for years to come. Many young men will identify with him and thier journey will be made easier. I give him a lot of credit. as well as his dad, his team, and his co-workers for continuing to discuss him as a whole person.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 9, 2011 11:10:33 PM

5. Cutest smile ever.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Feb 10, 2011 6:44:16 AM

6. Brendan's death was such a tragedy! I was so amazed by his strength and courage when he came out, and so saddened when I heard the news of his death. I couldn't believe it. Thought it was some kind of sick joke. I just watched the video of the hockey players paying their respects to Brendan and it made me weep. Hopefully his passing will bring much needed change to organized sports and the world in general. RIP Brendan!

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 10, 2011 8:20:01 AM

7. it's nice that his teammates were cool with him and all but it still sucks to hear statements like the one the coach made about Brendan being gay, he said "that's his choice"....no, no my friend it's not his choice to be gay, you don't wake up one morning and choose something like this. this is the major problem gay people face with getting our equality because most people still think we all CHOOSE this just to piss everyone off, so why should they give us the right to marry, etc when we just woke up one day and CHOSE to do this, we can choose to be straight again right? so why go to the bother of changing laws and whatnot when we can just change back to being "normal"?
    sorry, I just stopped listening to this when I heard that statement, rest in peace Brendan.

Posted by: John | Feb 10, 2011 12:10:26 PM

8. @JOHN - I thought the same thing when the coach said "choice"; however, at the end of the video he said "this is who you are" ... I think it was a just poorly chosen word.

Posted by: PriceCut | Feb 10, 2011 1:27:29 PM

9. Can you imagine having to pull every person you have met in college aside to tell them a secret? A secret you’ve been working to hide for years and years?

Brendan Burke’s coming out made such a difference in the lives he touched and the ripples seeem to go on and on.

It’s funny I vaguely remember a fleeting mention that the Stanley Cup was in Chicago’s gay pride parade last summer. I recall thinking that was a great move and I was glad it happened, but not being much of a sports fan I didn’t follow the story back to see how it happened to be there.

As it turns out… were it not for Brendan Burke’s courage to come out to his family and college community, the Stanley Cup would have never been carried in Chicago’s gay pride parade.

Posted by: tim viec nhanh | Oct 12, 2011 3:57:07 AM