Margaret Thatcher | Meryl Streep | News

First Look: Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher

Streep

The first image of Meryl Streep as former British PM Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady has been released.

Said Streep: "The prospect of exploring the swathe cut through history by this remarkable woman is a daunting and exciting challenge. I am trying to approach the role with as much zeal, fervour and attention to detail as the real Lady Thatcher possesses – I can only hope my stamina will begin to approach her own!"

The film, which began shooting on January 31, is being directed by British theatre director Phyllida Lloyd and also stars Jim Broadbent.

Comments

1. Thatcher was nothing more than Ronald Reagan with a vagina.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 8, 2011 8:59:51 AM

2. Directed by Phyllida Lloyd, who brought us the screaming horror of MAMMA MIA. This is going to be really painful...

Posted by: Roscoe | Feb 8, 2011 9:03:43 AM

3. MS looks amazing...she's a Great Actor.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 8, 2011 9:06:51 AM

4. Streep can read the phone book and it would be worth watching. I loathed Thatcher but it's history and I'm sure it will be Streep's 17th Oscar nomination, possibly third long due win.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 8, 2011 9:07:54 AM

5. I Stanley Tucci playing Dennis? That would be hilarious. And Helen Mirren reprising her Queen?

Posted by: hugo | Feb 8, 2011 9:42:54 AM

6. wow that is spot on. she looks great.

Posted by: Justin | Feb 8, 2011 9:59:15 AM

7. somehow she looks like faye dunaway doing margaret thatcher. i love the meryl, but i do wish she'd make some better movies.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 8, 2011 10:05:33 AM

8. Meryl Streep is on her own superb league. She doesn't only look like MT, I feel she is MT.

@Chris, sorry but I disagree.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 8, 2011 10:14:05 AM

9. If Ms. Streep is smart, she'll play the role as Faye Dunaway played Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest. Maggie deserves no less.

"You call this clean, Ronnie?"

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 8, 2011 10:15:31 AM

10. MS is incapable of anything but perfection.

Posted by: Jerry | Feb 8, 2011 10:21:32 AM

11. "Alarming" is the word. Wow.

I want to kick her in the shin.

Meryl will be great, and the movie will try, and fail, to show the "human" side of that cow, no disrespect intended.

To cows.

Posted by: MammaBear | Feb 8, 2011 10:22:35 AM

12. Tampazeke FTW. I keep telling my friends when that old bat finally kicks it that there's going to be celebrations in the streets of England.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Feb 8, 2011 10:47:58 AM

13. And the Oscar goes to...

Well, I don't know, but she's going to make sure she's nominated with this role.

Posted by: S. | Feb 8, 2011 10:53:39 AM

14. I can;t speak for Phyllida Lloyd as a stage director, but having seen her debut film MAMMA MIA, her film directing leaves something to be desired. Like directing skill.

IF YOU WANT A LAUGH -- as well as the best parody of Meryl Streep's mannerisms I have seen -- check out FRENCH & SAUNDERS' "MAMMA MIA"

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 8, 2011 11:03:15 AM

15. @strepsi: funny that you bring up jennifer saunders. both she and meryl streep have that same type of classically beautiful yet bland face that can be made up to mimic an incredible array of real people. just hold the facial muscles in the right way, and, voila, margaret thatcher.

Posted by: scott | Feb 8, 2011 11:19:44 AM

16. Meryl Streep is one of the joys of being alive! I adore her. It IS indeed time for her 3rd Oscar win!

Posted by: Jim | Feb 8, 2011 11:28:38 AM

17. Meryl Streep why?

Posted by: Jake London | Feb 8, 2011 12:03:13 PM

18. Meryl will be nominated again but lose to some no-talent hack that is in a mainstream movie like she always does.
    She is the greatest American-born actress in the world -period.
    Although Maggie T was horrifically obtuse-
    I will see this movie because of the extraordinary talented Ms. Streep.

Posted by: nick | Feb 8, 2011 12:19:41 PM

19. No More Iron (Curtain) Hangars!

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 8, 2011 3:56:10 PM

20. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong with that picture.

Beside the fact that she's WAY too pretty, Maggie would never have worn that neckline without a chamois underneath...Google pics of her, you'll see. Other than that it's spot on!

Posted by: stich | Feb 9, 2011 2:58:17 AM

21. She's much too good looking to play Thatcher.

Posted by: Charles | Feb 9, 2011 5:39:29 AM

22. RE: Nick "Meryl will be nominated again but lose to some no-talent hack that is in a mainstream movie like she always does."

Always does? Hmmn. I think you mean, "once," Nick. I'm sure you aren't referring to Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Hilary Swank, Gywneth Paltrow, Susan Sarandon, Kathhy Bates ..." Need I go on.

And I don't consider Sandra Bullock a "no talent hack."

Streep hasn't lost one Oscar that she deserved. She was quite formiddable in "Silkwood," "A Cry in the Dark" and "Postcards," but she hardly lost to lesser competition.

And when is getting a nomination without winning a bad thing? She'll get one for sure (if Ephron can't get in her way, I'm sure Law can't make her look entirely ridiculous, although "Mama Mia!" suggests otherwise).

I like my Streep without affectation. This will be interesting to watch, but unless they take the cue from the posters here about going the Faye Dunaway route, it will hardly be memorable.

Posted by: Vince in WeHo | Feb 9, 2011 5:14:15 PM