Discrimination | Great Britain | News | Uganda

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Radio Host Makes Narrow Escape In Uganda

Scottmills British radio DJ Scott Mills recently had a frightening run-in with Uganda's homophobic government.

In the country to film an upcoming BBC 3 program called The Worst Place to Be Gay?, Mills told MP David Bahati, the key author of Uganda's "Kill the Gays" bill, that he himself likes guys. Bahati did not take it well: according to Mills, the politico went "mental" and called for armed backup.

"He was scary. He ordered us to cut the cameras then brought a security guard," Mills recalled.

"We ran off and he rang one of our guys saying, 'Where are they staying? What are the registration plates? I want them arrested. They won't get far.'" One of Mills' colleagues lied about where the 36-year-old host was staying, thus buying them more time for escape.

Said Mills: "I'd heard horror stories about people getting arrested and roughed up and who knows what. I was scared."

Comments

1. Scary!

Which reminds me: When Rachel had Bahati on several weeks ago, did he know he was talking to a real live lesbian? I don't think he did, but I still wonder whether anybody told him, or if he thought otherwise.

Posted by: K in VA | Feb 11, 2011 8:34:28 AM

2. @K IN VA

I don't think Bahati would have felt as threatened by a lesbian. He's an extreme closet case -- sees in gay men what he hates within himself.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 11, 2011 9:00:09 AM

3. Idi Ammin should of got rid of more of them...

Posted by: chester1212 | Feb 11, 2011 9:07:44 AM

4. ..and even IF he did know Rachel was Gay...He was In America,and CAN DO NOTHING! He's a Monster

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 11, 2011 9:09:07 AM

5. I don't know if what this guy did was brave or stupid...can it be both?

Why in hell would he feel the need to tell that psycho what he did at that point? I mean, I think if I did, I would have done it from a cell phone whilst boarding my flight out of there! HAHA!

On the other hand, I like the idea of a show about 'The Worst Places to be Gay'. Unfortunately, the African continent has MANY worst places. (remember this from Towleroad a few weeks back? http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef0147e09c0e3d970b-pi)

On some gay sites, I am always a little startled to see guys who tell their location being in an African country. I am NOT startled because there are gay men there, but that they would dare put their location on a public site. Dangerous, man, dangerous.

Posted by: princely54 | Feb 11, 2011 9:11:55 AM

6. Excuse me, but ... Going to "the worst place in the world to be gay", and then telling someone there that you are gay... Does that make sense? Reporting on this god-awful place could easily have been done "off-site". I am glad he got away, and I am in no way "blaming the victim", but c'mon people... common sense!!!

Posted by: Reggie | Feb 11, 2011 9:15:26 AM

7. @ Sparks: I think you're dead right. As we've learned over and over again from the republican party and other bashers, the nastier they are to gay people the more likely it is that they themselves are gay.

Bahati lives in a very, very dark place--with himself.

Posted by: Danny | Feb 11, 2011 9:40:21 AM

8. I can't wait to watch this show and I'm glad that it was even made at all.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 11, 2011 9:55:58 AM

9. It amazes me that our government granted a visa to this psychopath, Bahati, to visit the United States. Under no circumstances should he be allowed to enter our country, for any reason, at any time.

The next time he seeks to come here we need to make a BIG STINK at the State Department. If the UK can deny Fred Phelps and the nut from World Dove Outreach entry, we can keep Bahati out of here too.

Posted by: RWG | Feb 11, 2011 9:57:37 AM

10. Am I the only person who thinks this guy is a moron? The Ugandan law is terrible of course, but what idiot would go to Uganda and announce to the author of the "Kill the Gays" bill that they are themselves gay? And then complain about how "scarey" it was.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 11, 2011 10:12:50 AM

11. @RWG: They should have granted a visa ... and then kept him here, as a terrorist without charge.

Posted by: Blub | Feb 11, 2011 10:28:30 AM

12. I'm with Reggie - you can't bait a government that has demonstrated anti-gay bias. It's just not smart. When you travel, the rules of your home country do not apply. He should have exercised more caution. Also, a reporter is supposed to remove his/her individual point-of-view from the equation. Of what relevance is his own orientation in this context?

Posted by: Steve | Feb 11, 2011 10:43:38 AM

13. Scott Mills' BBC radio web page is at

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Feb 11, 2011 10:52:28 AM

14. SOrry, there's a difference between bravery and stupidity.
    He did the latter in this case.

Posted by: Zack | Feb 11, 2011 11:18:32 AM

15. Some people need a crash course in reality. How come some people think that because they are white westerners are somehow immune to everything third world related? As if some guardian angel is preventing them from the disgraces of the locals.
    Yes I know that obviously a westerner chances are far better and that he tried to show first hand what was it like in that excuse of a country, but then you don’t need to speak as if you were surprised unless you were a complete stupid or mounting a show.
    Even though I commend him for caring about the sufferings of gay people there.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Feb 11, 2011 2:03:38 PM

16. You're missing the point. Bhati has been trying to pretend that he is not anti-gay but pro the children. This was the only way to show these liars for what they are.

Go Scott!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 11, 2011 2:22:33 PM

17. While it may have been a foolish, unnecessarily risk-laden move for Scott Mills in retrospect, Rowan is correct. Bahati's reaction totally exposes him for the homicidal bigot that he is.

Posted by: RJ | Feb 11, 2011 3:24:04 PM

18. Most of these responders couldn't feel they're way out of a cardboard box. Sometimes taking a risk on behalf of others or to expose the truth is heroic, not stupid. Bahati and many Ugandan's radical politics of hate needs to be fully exposed, and this is a good way to do it.

Posted by: Ambrose | Feb 12, 2011 11:42:58 AM

19. Scott Mills was being reckless with his own safety and that of his crew. He failed to "expose" anything that wasn't already known. Had he been more interested in real journalism than in turning the spotlight onto himself, he wouldn't have permanently hijacked his chances to do genuine investigative reporting in Uganda with a foolish head-on confrontation with Bahati.

Posted by: Dan | Sep 22, 2011 5:38:52 AM