Jay Leno | Lady Gaga | Madonna | News

Watch: Lady Gaga Discusses 'Express Yourself' Controversy, Gay Activism with Jay Leno

L_gaga

Lady Gaga appeared on Jay Leno last night to discuss Grammy night, how long she spent in the egg, her costume changes, Willow Smith, wardrobe malfunctions, the Judy Garland cocktail, the gay finger, her Vogue cover, and Born This Way.

She also discusses the controversy over its similarities to Madonna's "Express Yourself".

"There really is no one that is a more adoring and loving Madonna fan than me. I am the hugest fan personally and professionally. The good news is that I got an email from her people and her sending me their love and complete support on behalf of the single, and if the queen says it shall be, then it shall be."

And her speech supporting 'DADT' repeal:

"As a gay rights activist I'm always going to be fighting for equality with all of my friends."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What an annoying phony!

BTW, I like her Ace of Base ripp-off, this one not so much.

Posted by: Elton | Feb 15, 2011 8:06:33 AM

2. Say what you want about Gaga but I like her. She's a great performer and she's doing more for gay rights that 100 celebs combined.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 15, 2011 8:46:03 AM

3. Can this tired ass stunt queen please sit her bony ass all the way down?

There's not an original bone in her body.

Posted by: new-new | Feb 15, 2011 8:47:33 AM

4. I think she's half-phoney, half-real. I think she purposefully targeted gays as a CD buying audience in the beginning but then now she likes the adoration and likes her gay fans--who doesn't like an adoring loyal audience?

Still she tries too hard and is fake.

I'm with Michael K on Lady Caca

Posted by: The Grinch | Feb 15, 2011 8:53:23 AM

5. I think it's hysterical that a pop singer inspires such hatred for the crimes of being insanely popular and rich at a ridiculously young age and more talented than all of her haters combined. And what gay man wouldn't hate the most important gay rights activist in the universe?

I'm not even a fan, but she uses her powers for my good and doesn't hurt anyone else -- and her wealth and fame take nothing away from me -- so why would I bother to insult her? You go, Gaga!

Posted by: justme | Feb 15, 2011 8:55:14 AM

6. "Elton,"
    Exactly what's phony about her? Unlike just about everyone else in music, she doesn't seem to simply use it as a vehicle for herself, and no one can question her activism and effort. Also, how many things have you done to help people recently? Or is trolling a blog about as good as it gets for you?

Posted by: Joey Y | Feb 15, 2011 8:59:17 AM

7. Also, "grinch," of you took the time to know anything about her career, you'd know that she spent many years working with gays in the club scene long before she ever got her big break. I can only assume you know very little about NYC if that concept is foreign to you.

Posted by: Joey Y | Feb 15, 2011 9:01:45 AM

8. Personally I love her and her music.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Feb 15, 2011 9:03:23 AM

9. I remember when haters said the same things about Madonna and Ace of base... Ignorance and Jealousy are much easier to let through than appreciation and love.

Posted by: John Normile | Feb 15, 2011 9:10:29 AM

10. Clearly the anti-bullying movement doesn't extend to celebrities or pop starts. If you don't like her music or politics, fine, but personal attacks on her character or looks are out of line.

Posted by: qjersey | Feb 15, 2011 9:21:11 AM

11. Joey,

women are all over gay clubs in every city this makes her different how? Do you also worship the women who aren't millionaires and didn't make money off of their "little monsters"? I'm betting "no".

There are a lot of gay friendly women who are supporting their gay friends for no money at all. They get tagged with fruit fly, flame dame, and the ubiquitous "fag hag" and they are still out there signing petitions, etc. instead of being worshipped like the next Buddha. If your favorite bff made a "gay finger" comment would you think it was that "cute"?

Whatev

Posted by: The Grinch | Feb 15, 2011 9:29:04 AM

12. I actually like her and I think she's extremely intelligent. I also liked "Alejandro" and thought it was an homage to all things Swedish (ABBA, Ace of Base). However, the current song is just a rip-off. Notice she doesn't deny that it's a rip-off she just said basically that Madonna told her she's not mad at Gaga for ripping off "Express Yourself." And that's disappointing.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 15, 2011 9:36:56 AM

13. Sampling and imitating poplular music is a staple of the industry and didn't start with Gaga. I appreciate that she embraces the similarities rather than deny deny deny like many artists do.

Posted by: dk | Feb 15, 2011 9:54:16 AM

14. I can't tell any more if her "superstar" comments are meant to be ironic or not.

Maybe she's not sure anymore either?

Posted by: Steve | Feb 15, 2011 10:07:27 AM

15. bitter bitter bitter bitter queens who hate everything...

Posted by: todd | Feb 15, 2011 10:08:32 AM

16. I find it fascinating that people rip Lady Gaga to shreds because her song is sooo similar to "Express Yourself." These are probably the same people that will trash Madonna when her next album comes out. They will probably say things like - "she's too old", "she's not as good as she was in the 80's", blah blah blah.

We build stars up just to tear them down.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 15, 2011 10:11:33 AM

17. she's fun

Posted by: PriceCut | Feb 15, 2011 10:17:56 AM

18. You know you've made it when you can inspire such hatred. It cracks me to hell to think that commenters feel passionately enough about a pop-star to spend their energy hating.

Kudos, Gaga!

Posted by: Tonic | Feb 15, 2011 10:29:52 AM

19. Great Voice!! Amazing Talent!! A diamond in the industry!!

Posted by: Roseann | Feb 15, 2011 10:48:14 AM

20. That was actually a really sweet (and funny) interview. :)

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Feb 15, 2011 10:56:25 AM

21. I'm not a big fan of her music, but what has this girl done that is so horrible that she deserves such hatred?
    She's a pop star! Just like Madonna was. I'm old enough to remember Madonna, and her stumbling through interviews, and trying to relate something larger to her pop music. They're pop stars. I think Lady Gaga is taking her moment in the spotlight, and actually doing more with it then most pop stars do. Is she using gay rights as a way to make keep her name in lights? Maybe.
    But I would rather support someone who says..all people deserve equality, and we should live in a world without hate.
    Is that such a horrible thing to do with your 15 minutes of fame? I really don't think so.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Feb 15, 2011 10:58:42 AM

22. Having a negative opinion of something somebody does does not automatically make one a hater. And there are no "Express Yourself" samples in her song, just a verse that sounds like Madonna wrote it and an identical chorus with different words. She's an infinitely better singer than Madonna (although definitely not as good as SHE thinks she is) and there are similarities in the way they approach the industry and media but theft is not inspiration. "My Sweet Lord" is a way better song than "He's So Fine" however it was theft pure and simple and George Harrison paid millions after he lost the law suit.

Madonna probably counted the notes in the melody and realized Gaga had changed just enough to avoid losing a lawsuit. The rules are very objective when it comes to plagiarizing music. I'm sure Gaga knew exactly what she was doing and knew exactly how to avoid getting into legal trouble -- not exactly what I look for in someone who claims to be creative. Madonna is clever though. She's rereleasing "Express Yourself" and she put it back on youtube. If she can't get something one way she will get it another.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 15, 2011 11:03:51 AM

23. Anyone that can't see how genuinely she cares about LGBT equality and prejudice & bullying in general is blind. She feels these issues passionately -- due in part to her own experiences -- and she's truly dedicated to her performance art. She's the real deal and a gem. Not all her songs hit it out of the ballpark, but there is nothing superficial or fake about her dedication to her fans, to her music, and to making the world a more open, accepting place. Long live Gaga!!!!

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 15, 2011 11:32:27 AM

24. Wow, you guys are so bitchy! First off who cares WHY she's supporting LGBT rights, so long as someone's fighting for us that's all that should matter. Second of all Lady Gaga is bisexual so she is part of our community and faces the same discrimination we all do. Jeez, give it a rest fellas and be happy that someone's standing up for you in a big way. She's putting her career at risk by speaking up, that's a brave thing to do.

Posted by: Miel | Feb 15, 2011 12:17:05 PM

25. Caca isn't putting her career at risk. Madonna put her career at risk in the 80s. She is the one that should get credit. For those of you who say, "Oh, but Caca is a better artist than Madonna," let's wait until Caca releases anything that resembles "Live to Tell," "Take a Bow," or "Oh Father."

Posted by: Jeffrey | Feb 15, 2011 12:23:17 PM