2012 Election | Donald Trump | Gay Marriage | GOProud | New York | News | Republican Party

Donald Trump: It's Great That 'New York Has a Lot of Gays....But I'm Not in Favor of Gay Marriage.'

Trump

Donald Trump told Greta van Susteren that he's not in favor of gay marriage, but didn't offer any reasons for his position. Oh, but he loves the fact that New York City is a place with a lot of gays.

VAN SUSTEREN: Gay marriage?

TRUMP: I'm not in favor of gay marriage.

VAN SUSTEREN: You sort of hesitate when you say that. Any doubt?

TRUMP: No, I'm just not in favor of gay marriage. I live in New York. New York is a place with lots of gays, and I think it is great. But I'm not in favor of gay marriage.

Trump recently appeared at CPAC where Christopher Barron, chair of gay conservative group GOProud, said he "would love to see Trump run for President." Said Barron: "He’s not only a well respected businessman, and somebody who obviously has a giant megaphone, and having him involved in this event and talking about those issues – issues that are not only important to GOProud but important to conservatives all across this country — is critical."

Trump has been married three times.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
GOProud Leads 'Trump in 2012' Movement at CPAC [tr]

(If the clip does not work, you can watch it on YouTube here (begins at about 8:00)).

Comments

1. Another reason why GOProud loves him.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 15, 2011 7:37:11 AM

2. He'd be an embarrassment as a candidate. Therefore, I HOPE he runs as a Republican!!

Posted by: princely54 | Feb 15, 2011 7:40:56 AM

3. Donald Trump is typical of the homophobic arrogance of New Yorkers. You know, we're sort of welcome there but we must stay in a certain room of the house in case we frighten the horses. This pretty much sums up New York's attitude to gay people.

I think states like Iowa - which has gay marriage - have proven that New York isn't as socially progressive as it claims to be.

Posted by: brian | Feb 15, 2011 7:41:19 AM

4. Perhaps a boycott of all Trump holdings would show him just how much he realize on our dollars .....

Posted by: Teddy Kis | Feb 15, 2011 7:47:06 AM

5. Wow. Yet another reason not to like Donald Trump. I thought it wasn't possible.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 15, 2011 7:48:32 AM

6. This is surprising? This arrogant, toupee wearing creep with his trophy wife doesn't think we should get married? Wow! How will I go on living?

Posted by: Tpow | Feb 15, 2011 7:49:33 AM

7. You'd think with all of the gays in NY there would be someone to help Donald with his hair. I mean a jerry curl circa 1985 would look better than that freakishly dry mop of hair he's had for the last twenty years.

Posted by: Ioann | Feb 15, 2011 7:55:32 AM

8. Well respected businessman? How many of his businesses have filed for bankruptcy? Quite a few.

Obama would handily defeat Donald Trump in the election.

Posted by: Chance | Feb 15, 2011 7:59:17 AM

9. His hair looks like cotton candy that's been rolled about in the dirt and stuck on his head with cheap clag.

Posted by: brian | Feb 15, 2011 8:04:21 AM

10. CHANCE I think it's part of Trumps trademark that we call him a billionaire even if he filed bankruptcy again last year. He's a very date business man and isn't in total share control of Trump holdings but hey ho, who cares?

Though I have to be honest guys, I like his honesty. Instead of coming out with some spiel about how it's against his religion and some utter rubbish about the constitution, he just says he's against it.

To be fair to him if he started going on about the sanctity of marriage....he'd be a little bit of a hypocrite.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 15, 2011 8:06:51 AM

11. I'm going to sit here and watch all of GOProud's plans continue to fail. Conservative ideas are moronic ideas.

Posted by: ravewulf | Feb 15, 2011 8:06:57 AM

12. Well-respected? Seriously? By who? All those who want to kiss his ass for a piece of pie, that's who. Ask any really wise business person and they'll tell you what they think of this man. Daddy's money helped get him started and remember how many times he's tanked, people. His hair says it all: FAKE

Posted by: johnny | Feb 15, 2011 8:11:51 AM

13. People that pointed out the obvious.. Like his topee, etc.. Lets now talk about the not so obvious.. Like the reason why he hesitated to answer.

If he agrees to gay marriage then all his financial backers would say: Ok, you back up those gays to get married? Well, we don't want to financially back your businesses anymore.

It's about the mighty worthless dollar, more than it is about progression.. Sadly enough..

Posted by: backinthegays | Feb 15, 2011 8:16:34 AM

14. Let me translate his statement into Mississippian circa 1960.

"I like the niggras (progressive Mississippian) that park my car, serve my food, entertain me and clean up after me at the Country Club; but should they be MEMBERS? I don't think so."

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 15, 2011 8:22:40 AM

15. Hmm, I wonder if Cyndi Lauper regrets appearing on the Celebrity Apprentice.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 15, 2011 8:43:33 AM

16. Trump has how many failed businesses and how many failed marriages? Let's maybe only take advice from people who have proven their success at something.

Posted by: Rich | Feb 15, 2011 8:48:12 AM

17. CAN JOURNALISTS PLEASE STOP USING THE MISREPRESENTATIVE TERM "GAY MARRIAGE"????

Try asking politicians if they are in favor of "CIVIL EQUALITY FOR ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS, INCLUDING MARRIAGE RIGHTS" instead.

That is all.

Posted by: Strepsi | Feb 15, 2011 8:48:13 AM

18. For a man whose idea of marriage includes replacing women once they're not hot anymore he's talking mighty big on marriage...

Posted by: The Grinch | Feb 15, 2011 8:56:34 AM

19. STFU Trump
    You are a legend in your own mind.
    New York is a great city and state despite the fact that it has to claim you as a resident. Your words are meaningless.
    Speak about something your familiar about-
    divorce, infidelity, arrogance, and greed.
    Go away

Posted by: nick | Feb 15, 2011 8:59:36 AM

20. Donald Trump is nothing more than a publicity whore.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 15, 2011 9:06:25 AM

21. GOProud looks more foolish each and every day

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Feb 15, 2011 9:12:56 AM

22. So let me get this straight (pun intended) - someone who has been married THREE times has the audacity to say that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry?

Posted by: Mike | Feb 15, 2011 9:22:10 AM

23. Isn't he on his third marriage? He really has a lot of respect for that institution. He should be called on it. Never liked the man.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 15, 2011 9:23:44 AM

24. Guys,please don't attack his baldness.That makes you stupid like him.

He has the RIGHT to believe and say what he has said,okay?

I'm gay and I believe we should be allowed to get married,but I believe in freedom of speech and thought.

Posted by: J | Feb 15, 2011 9:31:57 AM

25. He is a good looking man!

Posted by: smisha | Feb 15, 2011 9:45:38 AM