Gay Marriage | Iowa | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Iowa Teen Zach Wahls and His Lesbian Moms Speak with Lawrence O'Donnell About His Amazing Speech

Zachwahls

Zach Wahls, whose speech defending his gay moms in front of the Iowa House went viral this week, speaks to Lawrence O'Donnell about same-sex marriage, his video, and the reaction to it.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What an amazing guy! Wish he was my son.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 4, 2011 12:38:38 AM

2. He's fantastic.

Mildly surprised his mothers don't make him use "gay and lesbian"---he only uses gay. I'm actually getting a bit tired of all the letters (LGBTQQNI, etc.). They confuse people, whether jerks like McCain or nice people like my mother.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 4, 2011 12:39:46 AM

3. WOW - He's got quite a future! He could easily be a fantastic politician [and I mean that in the BEST possible way!] Plus he's well-spoken and handsome. If he decides to run for anything, he's got my vote!

Posted by: ACe | Feb 4, 2011 1:21:43 AM

4. @Paul R: What's N?

Posted by: Jon B | Feb 4, 2011 1:29:02 AM

5. QNI? @ Paul r

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 4, 2011 2:51:16 AM

6. What a superb representative of a new generation.........May he succeed in whatever he chooses to do......
    He has certainly started out with fire in his belly.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 4, 2011 3:39:27 AM

7. @Jon and Rowan: Queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, pansexual (had never heard that one until 10 years ago, when my neighbor was profiled in Out magazine and I had to look it up; now it's so common), etc. Sorry, I typed an N when I meant a P, but I'm sure someone defines themselves as as an N (noncomforming?). Also androgynous (A) and loads of others.

But living in San Francisco might make me more exposed to--and unable to remember, and sometimes baffled by--all these letters/variants. I just remember my mom visiting a few years ago and someone handed her a flyer with about nine letters on it, and after explaining the first five or so my ex and I had to give up because it got too graphic or confusing. Inclusiveness can be exhausting!

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 4, 2011 5:23:39 AM

8. Hmmm.... [thinking about posting a comment, but wondering how some of the smug, bitter, jealous, loutish and tempuramental queens around here might react...]

Posted by: TANK | Feb 4, 2011 6:03:25 AM

9. I am so proud of Zach and happy for his family. They're certainly not the most outspoken or flamboyant folks in the world but they sure raised a kid who has no trouble expressing his thoughts!

Wishing him all the best in his engineering path... but will remain hopeful that at some point he'll consider political office. We need a whole congress full of Zachs.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 4, 2011 7:32:25 AM

10. [Still wondering if I should post what I'm thinking... or not... Tank has to ask himself if it's worth it... hmmm]

Posted by: TANK | Feb 4, 2011 7:43:05 AM

11. RECENTLY I MOVED BACK TO THE STATES WITH MY FOREIGN BORN PARTNER OF 5 YEARS. WE WERE TOLD THAT HE COULD LIVE IN THE USA BUT HE WOULD HAVE TO LEAVE EVERY 6 MONTHS FOR A DAY THEN HE COULD RETURN. THAT WAS NOT CORRECT. NOW IMMIGRATION SAYS HE MUST ENROLL IN COLLEGE AND GET A BACHELORS DEGREE OR LEAVE. A DEGREE WILL COST 50,000 BECAUSE THEY CHARGE HIM TRIPLE PRICES TO GO TO COLLEGE BECAUSE HE IS A FOREIGN BORN CITIZEN. HE ALREADY SPEAKS 5 LANGUAGES INCLUDING PERFECT ENGLISH. HOW CAN I FIND HIM AN AMERICAN WIFE SO THAT HE CAN STAY HERE WITH ME? ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Posted by: chris | Feb 4, 2011 8:04:50 AM

12. This young man, Zach Wahls, is truly amazing! We need to hear his voice, see his face, and read his words all over the place! We also need to hear the voices of others to drown out the voices of hate, ignorance, and lies! Thank you Zach!

Posted by: james Brown | Feb 4, 2011 8:15:01 AM

13. Tank commenting about your own thought process is pathetic - there you got the attention you needed.

As for Zack he is getting the attention he deserves.

Posted by: walter t boned | Feb 4, 2011 8:17:48 AM

14. His Mom's did right by him, great job .

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 4, 2011 12:26:40 PM

15. @tank "smug, bitter, jealous, loutish, temperamental queens"? Classic psychological projection. BTW did I ever congratulate you on your spot-on call that DADT would not be repealed? You're the gift that keeps on giving.

Posted by: candide | Feb 4, 2011 2:15:28 PM

16. Thanks for telling it like it is, for all the people who don't have that chance!

Posted by: X | Feb 4, 2011 2:17:23 PM

17. In some ways I'm kinda sad that having gay (or lesbian) parents doesn't make one gay - cause if it did, Zach Wahls would be one very popular guy on campus.

Posted by: karl | Feb 4, 2011 3:06:21 PM

18. @ Candide

Indeed! Many though DADT would never happen!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 4, 2011 3:24:35 PM

19. Wow, what's with all the hostility here toward my Uncle Tank? I think he's a pretty insightful guy. But I guess some people don't like to hear from thoughtful, insightful commentators. I have to say, though, I agree with everyone here that Zach is a great guy. And although I know some overwrought queens around here will jump all over me for saying it, he is really a sexy guy! If this guy were president, watching a usually dull two hour State of the Union message would be great! I hope the kid has a great future ahead of him both because he's got a lot to offer and because he's so cute!

Posted by: SPANKY | Feb 4, 2011 8:01:45 PM

20. @paulr: I don't think it's so surprising that he talks about gay couples rather than using one of the alphabet soup labels.
    Personally, I think it sounds divisive and redundant when some people say "gay and lesbian" (as it would sound to say "doctors and women doctors " or "adults and women."
    When Ellen came out, she made it clear she is "gay" and said "lesbian sounds like a disease."
    In addition to the words you listed, there's "same gender loving" for those gay blacks who think "gay" is too white and "2-spirited" for transgendered native Americans. Oh, and I know some gay Mormons prefer "same sex attracted" to differentiate themselves from people who are fine with being,well, same-sex attracted.
    I use the word gay for the same trait of homosexual orientation, and have no desire to segregate terms according to sex or race or religion.

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 4, 2011 9:49:51 PM

21. Thanks Zach - pls consider running for office some day - you have a gift!!!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 4, 2011 11:00:49 PM

22. His parents must be so proud - wow. Basically he made the case for removing labels of any kind - these are civil rights. Regardless of how you define yourself, you have the right to a union with whomever you love.

Posted by: Nice_Red | Feb 5, 2011 8:42:31 PM

23. That kid is so poised and well spoken...who ever heard of a 19-year-old with such a well-integrated personality? There must be something to this lesbian parenting thing ;)

Posted by: Danny | Feb 6, 2011 8:59:00 AM

24. Awww! I just want to go and give his family a big group hug. Zach is an amazing guy.

Posted by: Daws | Feb 6, 2011 12:31:33 PM

25. This is a prime example of where strength of character is damn sexy.

What an amazing guy, and a fantastic family.

Posted by: Gaz | Feb 8, 2011 9:55:10 PM