Bullying

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Bully Victim Speaks About Fighting Back

Casey
You may remember the viral video of 15-year-old Casey Heynes standing up to a bully that Andy posted here last week. Heynes, who has been the victim of bullying every day for years, was recently interviewed by A Current Affair in Australia and explained that his defensive action has been met with near universal support "because people get bullied all the time."

Watch the interview, wherein the soft-spoken, sweet-natured Heynes also says he does not believe he overacted to the bullying, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I can understand that years of bullying would make him snap, but it was still horrible to watch. Despite thinking deep down that the bully had it coming to him, I really hope he wasn't injured because it was a pretty brutal blow right onto concrete. And I hope the bullying kid is cured of his bad habit.

More than anything I hope the school puts a stop to bullying once and for all. It doesn't sound like they've done much up to now.

Posted by: Tone | Mar 20, 2011 5:21:42 PM

2. If it bothers you to watch, imagine what it feels like to be bullied relentlessly.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Mar 20, 2011 5:36:58 PM

3. What a great kid

Posted by: Jason | Mar 20, 2011 5:39:09 PM

4. where r the god-dammed teachers? Administrators??? This poor kid...Finaleee got his revenge!

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Mar 20, 2011 5:54:17 PM

5. Dad's kinda hot, no?

Posted by: David Christopher | Mar 20, 2011 5:54:57 PM

6. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve already opined about this case and –at a certain level- how just it to fend yourself when cornered as a LAST resort.
    But this report is SO WRONG in so many levels… Glorification of violence does not stop bullies. Fascination with violence actually creates more bullies. Bullies tend to pay violence with more violence; it’s their “language”.
    Obviously I liked to know the kids story and the background of what happened, but this report is so cheap and ill conceived. It makes no good to the bullied kids.
    The only positive aspect is that once again it puts the bully thing in the front page, though under the wrong light.
    The boy is NOT a hero, is a victim who happened to have the strength to successfully get back to his torturer, most of the bullied kid do not have that chance neither is the right way to go to advice kids to snap and use violence. Later do not lament the use of guns etc. .
    Stop glorifying violence. Our culture is already overstuffed with the concept of violence as a pleasure –video games, movies, etc.- and as the solution for everything.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Mar 20, 2011 5:56:47 PM

7. commented B4 I saw the whole thing...WOW>....made me tear up, this kid is Truly something!

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Mar 20, 2011 6:01:11 PM

8. Great Interview

yay Casey

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 20, 2011 6:17:44 PM

9. Lexxus-- while agree violence is never a good response, sometimes it is the only response. This kid IS a hero-- to himself and his mum. And i suspect to any kid who has faced this.

I was bullied a lot when I was a kid, and I remember snapping big time once, and for sure, a few more times that were not so big. It gave me a tremendous lift in my confidence, and to this day, it's probably a bad idea to mess with me, 50 years later.

I'm sure the TV station approached the bullies, and the declined to partiicpate. Had I been that kids Big Gay Parent, I would have insisted that he explain on TV why he thought bullying was a good idea, what he learned from it, and an apology to the victim.

And this underlines the problem. Where ARE the parents in these matters? Where are the school administrators?

Posted by: Ben In Oakland | Mar 20, 2011 6:40:58 PM

10. Lexxvs: Stop glorifying being a wimp! You can passively stand with your arms at your side while someone beats the crud out of you, but when you encourage others to feed your victim fetish you'll only get them killed.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Mar 20, 2011 6:54:55 PM

11. The fact that he took 2 shots to the face and did nothing - until he snapped - shows he wasn't naturally violent.

I wish I had had that courage when I was bullied in 8th grade.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 20, 2011 6:55:57 PM

12. ROFL at Lexxus. All those platitudes and tattling to the administrator can get you two black eyes and some missing teeth with those bromides.

Bullies are bullies because they feel a deep-seated superiority in assaulting others with the confidence that their assaults will not be returned.

Smashing a bully in the mouth or nose with a closed fist and doing some serious physical pain and public humiliation destroys his ego and ensures he won't bully you again.

As for "where are the teachers and administrators," give me a break. Anybody who has been bullied knows the bullies get their confidence from a scholastic system that elevates the bullies to "preferred" status. They're often popular in-crowders, "friends" with teachers and administrators, and the promoted "golden children" in the school. Administrators and teachers ENABLE the violence to take place and will tell you -- point blank -- that they don't believe you about the violence, or that "you must have brought it on yourself."

Posted by: Brian Miller | Mar 20, 2011 7:00:36 PM

13. Lack of proper parenting skills, poor school administration has lead to this. Casey IS my hero. F**ck you to those that say violence is not the answer, that genie is out of the freakin' bottle already and it won't go back in. He turned the other cheek 4 TIMES and then snapped. After years of abuse he finally defended himself. Good for him. It's what administrators and parents do with this that matters and sadly they'll do nothing. It's our nature...

Posted by: John | Mar 20, 2011 7:02:24 PM

14. sometimes you have to do this. Physical dominance is still the way that some males "communicate" to establish a pecking order. reasoning doesnt work. but is really worrying is that this seems to be at epidemic levels. What is going on? When i was a kid in the 70s there was the odd bully but it was nothing like it is now. Then, you could rely on the school to stamp it out quickly and they did. Society has arrived at a truly appalling state when a child contemplates suicide.

Posted by: atheist | Mar 20, 2011 7:11:19 PM

15. Right fruck'N on!

Posted by: MoJo | Mar 20, 2011 7:14:55 PM

16. "This kid IS a hero-- to himself and his mum. And i suspect to any kid who has faced this."

I agree. When asked what his advice was for other kids being bullied, this well-spoken young man didn't advocate violence, he said "Look for the good days. Keep your chin up. School won't last for ever". For a kid who admits having once considered suicide, that's a powerful message.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 20, 2011 7:35:24 PM

17. I'd love to see them interview the little kid. See how he feels getting a beat down like that.

Posted by: MySocialChef | Mar 20, 2011 7:40:48 PM

18. Would Casey be such a hero had the bully died? Like anyone else who was bullied in school, it was hard not to cheer for him, but had the kid been seriously injured or killed, Casey would be in jail and multiple lives would've been ruined. It should never have got to his stage.

Posted by: Clif3012 | Mar 20, 2011 8:01:00 PM

19. What's going on since the 70's is the school administration bureaucracy is frightened of lawsuits, has teacher contracts that, like all contracts, has very specific do's and don'ts regarding what a teacher or administrator can/can not or doesn't have to do. Our schools have also been breeding grounds for social engineering for the past 40 plus years.

Also, parents [or often simply parent singular] in general across the board, have become much more bombastic regarding their children's bad behavior and more often than not defending or excusing such behavior.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 20, 2011 8:08:15 PM

20. yes, the situation all around is terrible. I have to admit when I saw the video I thought, "jesus christ, that kid could have cracked his head open." but you know what? that's life. theres a lesson learned here: you don't punch someone in the face unless you're ready for the consequences.

Posted by: jj | Mar 20, 2011 9:46:44 PM

21. LOL

Posted by: Brenda | Mar 20, 2011 9:55:31 PM

22. Video has been pulled from YouTube (of course)....here's a link to it....

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Mar 20, 2011 10:44:41 PM

23. Maybe I missed something, but how did the first video happen to be made? Casey's sister said that he showed it to her that day, when he got home from school. Casey says that he had no friends, but who was holding the camera? Not attacking Casey (wouldn't dare), but this seems a possibly important question.

Posted by: Russell | Mar 20, 2011 11:14:12 PM

24. Russell, I've read that it was a friend of the little punk, Ritchard, who recorded the attack and posted it online. Ritchard was putting on a show that his friend was recording.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 20, 2011 11:32:52 PM

25. Rusell: in the video, the filmed appears to be a friend of the attacker, laughing as he punches Casey in the face multiple times as Casey appears to be trying to keep everything non violent - - until, of course, Casey is pushed beyond his limit of tolerating the attack.

Posted by: Gregv | Mar 20, 2011 11:42:54 PM