Chick-fil-A | Equality Matters | News

Chick-Fil-A Exposed: $1.1 Million to Anti-LGBT Organizations

Chikfila

Equality Matters traces the money in an in-depth report:

"When two Missouri organizations, the Clayton Chamber of Commerce and FOCUS St. Louis, decided earlier this month to cancel a presentation by Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy over his company's controversial affiliations, they made the right decision. Although Cathy has unequivocally denied being anti-LGBT and claimed that he and the company have 'no agenda against anyone' and 'will not champion any political agendas on marriage and family,' Equality Matters research proves just the opposite. In fact, the company has strong, deep ties to anti-gay organizations like Focus on the Family and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and its charitable division has provided more than $1.1 million to organizations that deliver anti-LGBT messages and promote egregious practices like reparative therapy that seek to 'free' people of being gay. "

Investigation Reveals Depth of Chick-Fil-A's Ties to Anti-Gay Causes [equality matters]

Previously...
If You're Eating Chick-Fil-A, You're Eating Anti-Gay [tr]
Chick-fil-A Pres: Providing Food to Anti-Gay Groups Not an Endorsement [tr]
NY Times on Chick-Fil-A; Company Issues Another Statement [tr]
Gay-Hating Chick-Fil-A Mascots Found on WV Street Poles [tr]
Group Cancels Chick-Fil-A President's Appearance at Event [tr]

(image via daily athenaeum)

Comments

1. We have a Chick-fil-a on our campus and we've been telling the administration to not renew the contract with the fast food chain because it is anti-gay. They didn't listen. Gay students and faculty still eat there because the other fast food options are gross.

Posted by: Stuff Queer People Need To Know | Mar 22, 2011 10:27:56 AM

2. Damn I'm going to miss those cardboard flavored sandwiches.

Posted by: rayrayj | Mar 22, 2011 10:41:04 AM

3. It's sad that there are companies like this donating MILLIONS of dollars to anti-gay groups and we get upset at target for donating a tenth of that amount after supporting the lgbt community for years.

Where are the musical protests (filmed for youtube of course) at Chick Fil A?

Posted by: What's good for the chicken is good for the flock | Mar 22, 2011 10:47:23 AM

4. Gee, Flock, I didn't know there was a threshhold amount of money before a company can be seen as anti-equality. At least Chick-Fil-A always presented itself as a "Christian" company so its actions are hardly surprising. Unlike Target who tries to present a progressive image while making underhanded donations directly to political candidates who want to set anti-equality legislation.
    And if you want to do a video for Youtube, knock yourself out. It is not like the Target ones were developed by the entire gay community, but individuals who wanted to spread the word about Target's scummy actions. Nice try to defend your corporate master.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Mar 22, 2011 11:07:07 AM

5. Thanks, Andy, for shining the light of truth on this despicable organization.

Posted by: Derek | Mar 22, 2011 11:10:06 AM

6. "It's sad that there are companies like this donating MILLIONS of dollars to anti-gay groups and we get upset at target for donating a tenth of that amount after supporting the lgbt community for years."

How on Earth is that sad? Because Target hasn't been as effective in trying to destroy LGBT people? Is that what's sad? Would it make you feel better if Target did better at trying to destroy LGBT people?

Because, personally, I feel they're doing more than enough damage as it is and I would like to see their participation in the destruction of LGBT people brought down to zero.

And if you want to see protests on YouTube, go put one there. That's how it's done. I'm sure your musical protest video about how Target isn't destroying us enough will be very entertaining.

And it's beyond bizarre that you seem to be implying that using social media to publicize a fight against injustice is somehow evil, by the way.

I assume you're a paid stooge for Target, which wouldn't be surprising considering their history of trying to destroy LGBT people. Maybe they're stepping up the effort?

Posted by: ohplease | Mar 22, 2011 11:21:06 AM

7. It's bad enough to GLBT customers for a business to have a stated anti-gay bias in its DNA but even worse for a business to lie about its bias as has the head of Chick-fil-A. It doesn't take much digging these days to find out the truth about many organizations' stands on certain matters as the expose by Equality Matters illustrates. Shame on Chick-fil-A twice for its homophobic bias and then the untruthful denial of its bias.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 22, 2011 11:49:06 AM

8. Check out the Chickengate page on Facebook to see all the anti-gay hate rhetoric, Chick-fil-A has been fostering ever since their ties to NOM were exposed in January.

facebook.com/chickengate

Posted by: Chickengate on Facebook | Mar 22, 2011 1:21:36 PM

9. The Chick-No-Gay near me actually plays Christian music (subtle, low-level like Muzak) over its speaker system.

Posted by: Dave | Mar 22, 2011 1:27:49 PM

10. Why do companies still think that they can hide things like this when time and time again, they get exposed?

Posted by: Austin | Mar 22, 2011 1:29:09 PM

11. "gay students and faculty still eat there because the other fast food options are gross.".

I wonder what it would take for some people. If the packaging said "we hate gay people," would they still eat there? If they had a framed photo of the Grand Dragon or of bin Laden with "our hero" underneath, would they stop spending money there?

What you wrote makes me think of the potential strategy from a different angle. Maybe the strategy should be first to do everything to get the Student Union (or whoever is responsible for contracts) to get a more popular option (from a company highly rated for human rights and humane animal treatment) into the food court ASAP, and then to try an "Eat this, not that" strategy.

Posted by: Gregv | Mar 22, 2011 2:00:44 PM

12. "gay students and faculty still eat there because the other fast food options are gross.".

I guess making a packed lunch is too much of an effort for some people...

Posted by: Stephen Murray | Mar 22, 2011 2:17:52 PM

13. @ STUFF QUEER PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW: I hope you're doing what you can to publicize Chick-Fil-A's despicable actions: leaflets and posters sound like a good idea.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 22, 2011 4:42:56 PM

14. And we will be presenting the plaque to thank Chick Fil A in about two wees. We wish to express our joy in the sponsership and continued support of this great company.

Posted by: Michael Letterman | Mar 22, 2011 7:02:41 PM

15. I'm gay and I still eat at Chick-fil-A. I don't make my food purchases (or any other kind of purchases) solely based on a company's political donations. I didn't stop shopping at Target either when MoveOn or HRC called for a boycott of that company. I eat at Chick-fil-A because I like their chicken sandwiches & friendly customer service, all at a reasonable price.

Compare that to the "gayborhoods" (such as The Castro, West Hollywood, Boystown) where all the restaurants are expensive, and the rude & snotty attitudes (mostly from fellow gay men) are aplenty.

Posted by: Stanley | Mar 22, 2011 7:44:00 PM

16. "If I owned a business, I would hope that people would support my business because of my product & customer service, even if they didn't necessarily support gay rights or agree with my homosexuality."

@Stanley: "Disagreeing" with someone else's sexual orientation is`the equivalent of disagreeing with their dark skin or their short height or their left-handedness. If you think equal rights and fair treatment under the law should be up for debate at all, or that our very existence as gay people is something others have any business "agreeing" or "disagreeing" with, then I can see why you don't get it.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 22, 2011 11:53:30 PM

17. >Gay students and faculty still eat there
    >Because the other fast food options are gross.

Wait, *worse* than Chick-Fil-A?

What do they serve at the other places, catshit burritos with a side of gangrene?

Posted by: Jacknasty | Mar 23, 2011 1:14:08 AM

18. The anti-gay donations are definitely a turn-off, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the creepy invasiveness they project into their employees' personal lives revealed in this article. They interview potential franchisees' kids? And they terminate employees who have "been sinful or done something harmful to their family members"? How creepy is that? What if the harm done is turning their backs on a child who reveals him or herself to be gay? It's disgusting!

And it's a bummer too. For fast food, their food tastes really good, but I don't think it'll ever taste the same to me again. No problem, as I won't be eating there ever again.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Mar 23, 2011 3:00:14 AM

19. Good Christian:

You can Cheat and Lie,
    Just don't Sleep with a Guy!

Posted by: the woodrow | Mar 23, 2011 8:08:45 AM

20. I think there are some other points to bring up here. As an avid fan of CFA's food, I eat in the CFA close to me 2-3 times per week. When all of this first started coming to the surface, I met with the owner and operator of my CFA to discuss my concerns. Most of these restaurants are independently owned and operated. Therefore, donating money to these orgs isn't a practice done by all CFAs. When I met with the owner of the CFA at which I dine, she informed me that they would whole-heartedly support fundraising events for the GLBT orgs on the campus of nearby UCF and HRC, Equality Florida, or any other gay-related organization. In addition, the CFA I eat at has a small handful of gay and lesbian workers who are quite content in their jobs. I am appalled that CFA, at their corporate level, has given money to anti-gay groups. But before you choose to boycott them, go have a conversation with the owner or manager of the CFA you dine in. Ask him or her how that CFA would support your local GLBT orgs if approached to do so and ask if they have any anti-gay policies or agendas in their mgmt team. Based on my lengthy discussion with the operator of my CFA, I felt much better about patronizing them. She was very supportive of GLBT rights and even pledges to "put her money where her mouth is" if ever asked to do so.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Mar 23, 2011 9:18:08 AM

21. Great!. One less fast-food franchise to consider when I feel like a chicken sandwich. You know, they don't have to like us gay people. But them big corporate executives going out of their way to perpetuate hatred towards gay is sickening. I will never buy their food.

Posted by: Elceibeno08 | Mar 23, 2011 10:12:19 AM

22. You want to know How "Christian" and ethical Chick etc is? Just ask any shopping center mall Manager who has one as a tenant.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 26, 2011 10:02:31 PM

23. Well, it's not hard to understand their motive. They do claim to be a "Christian" based institute. I'm just wondering how many young people use them as their first job? How many of them are LGBT? If their in a safe place...can they tell their employer that it's wrong? I, personally, do not eat there for the simple fact that it is "Christian" based. Most of my money goes to those that are LGBT owned or LGBT friendly. If I had a grocery store that was LGBT owned, I'd shop there.

Posted by: Michael DeSelms | Jul 17, 2011 4:40:46 PM