Gay Stories | I'm from Driftwood | I'm Gay | LGBT Stories | Nathan Manske | News

BigGayDeal.com

LGBT Stories: Yale Student and 'Q' Magazine Editor Jake Conway on His 'Ultimate Sense Of Pride'

Jake Conway

NATHAN MANSKE

Guestblogger Nathan Manske and Marquise Lee just finished a 4 month, 50 state tour of the United States collecting stories for their I'm From Driftwood site. We'll be sharing some of the stories they collected along with some of the insight into what they saw. They're still encouraging people to submit their written stories via IFD.

Driftwood Jake Conway is the editor of Q, Yale's first LGBTQ magazine which launched just this past Fall. We were in West Hartford for only one night and it just so happened to be the night of the launch party for Q. Jake found time before the party to sit down with us and share a story. What I thought was going to be just another coming out story turned into something more thoughtful and insightful about truly being proud of who you are.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently in this series...
Rep. David Cicilline Discusses Running as an Out Politician [tr]
Burning Man, The Love Story [tr]
'Heterosexual Transgender Lesbian' Talks Transition [tr]
Houston Mayor Annise Parker Shares Personal Story of Young Love [tr]
T.C., Living with HIV, Recalls the Early Days of AIDS [tr]
A Gay City Councilman Moves His Family to Higher Ground [tr]

Comments

1. Wow, Jake, what an incredible young man you are. Very well spoken, great voice and camera presence. I think you may have a future in broadcasting, or journalism should that be the career path you choose. I would be very interested in hearing your story, so far from what I've seen, I'm intrigued.

Any way, Nathan and Marquise, great series and a good job. Much success to you on this endeavor. Andy, thanks for posting this and the others. These are stories that do need to be told. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 1, 2011 2:07:04 PM

2. Bravo!

One's sexuality and gender ID isn't a choice, yet every person chooses whether or not they will live their life openly, honorably, and to its fullest.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 1, 2011 2:40:37 PM

3. what a beautiful man. wow.

Posted by: craig | Mar 1, 2011 3:09:03 PM

4. I remember when I first came out in the 70s we thought it was totally cool to be gay. That we were really different. We had a different view of life, a gay sensibility. That we were free of all the requirements of a straight life. In the necessary push to be accepted I think some of that very real pride has been lost. I am glad to see young people once again picking up on the joy of being different. For me being gay made all the difference.

Posted by: Chuck | Mar 1, 2011 3:16:21 PM

5. Wow indeed! Articulate, thoughtful, and wise beyond his years.

Posted by: adam | Mar 1, 2011 3:16:22 PM

6. cute! Keep striving for the best!

Posted by: PriceCut | Mar 1, 2011 4:17:12 PM

7. Being hot does not make you articulate or wise. Jake is saying things that any gay sixteen year old could tell you, and you're oohing and aahing because he makes your dick feel tingly.

Posted by: 11 | Mar 2, 2011 7:54:37 AM

8. @11:

Seconded. While I think this is a valuable story to hear, it doesn't strike me as remarkable in the extreme, and I think some of the reactions speak to the community's obsession with youth and physical attractiveness.

Posted by: Hunter | Mar 2, 2011 12:51:34 PM

9. @11: And 3rd'd. Each of my 12-14 year-old nephews is nearly as well spoken simply when describing how they love their iPhones, so I would expect that any potential coming out story would sound just as eloquent as this guy's. Of course, my nephews don't yet look like a reject from the A&F casting call (cheekbones are too high) or dress like a gigolo (hairy chest exposed), so I suppose they may not potentially have what it takes to get Towleroad's attention.

Posted by: Drew | Mar 6, 2011 4:21:43 AM

10. Drew, why don't you put up a video of your nephews and post the YouTube link.

And tell them to talk about being gay while they're at it.

As for you: Get a life. <3