Books | Bullying | Dan Savage | Gayle King | News

BigGayDeal.com

'It Gets Better' Book Launches in NYC

Savage

Towleroad reader AJ Staube sent us the above photo of Dan Savage and his husband Terry Miller at the It Gets Better book launch last night at Barnes & Noble in NYC, six months after the project's launch online. Congrats to Dan and Terry for making it such a success.

You can pick up the book online here. All proceeds from the book will be donated to LGBT youth charities.

Watch a clip of Savage on The Gayle King Show talking about the project, bullying, and the support from President Obama AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's a video clip containing some footage of the Barnes & Noble event:

Comments

1. Meanwhile, American law still denigrates gays! So sick of jumping through hurdles to live a normal life here. Good for inspiring young gay kids, but for the sake of everyone who can't fight right now, like these kids, I want to fight for them against all this American injustice and hypocrisy against its own citizens.

Posted by: X | Mar 23, 2011 9:10:27 PM

2. here's today's (Wednesday 3/23) Fresh Air on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2011/03/23/134628750/dan-savage-for-gay-teens-life-gets-better

they were on to discuss the project and their lives together for most of the hour

Posted by: Daniel Vammen | Mar 23, 2011 9:25:54 PM

3. Holy mother of g-d does that man have biceps!

And let me put it out there that, as a queer political activist, Dan Savage has emerged in the last few years as the closest thing we've had to a rock star since Harvey Milk. He's not a faux-butch poser (them guns notwithstanding), but he's not doe-eyed and begging for pity either, and unlike Larry Kramer, he's not shrill. His establishing himself for heterosexuals as the number one go-to advice guy for sex has given him a crossover credibility no other gay activists before him had, except possibly Milk, and he can shoot from the hip sharp one-liners with the best of them without being bitchy or prissy. He is doing nothing less than redefining gay activism in the 21st century, and he's serving as a role model for more than a few of us.

Posted by: Rick S. | Mar 23, 2011 9:33:54 PM

4. Where/how does it get better?
    I want to believe...
    As a German citizen in a bi national relationship with a US citizen I face deportation here in Florida...

Every day we hear how sick we are, that we deserve no rights, that we need to be killed...
    Where is the White House, the government, politicians who say DAILY that we need to be given equal rights, that we are not sick, that we are no harm to society, that gay/lesbian rights are human rights, that it is about fairness and equality...

America is limping behind by 10, 15 years in comparison with...

One question I ask myself daily:
    how could Bill Clinton sign DOMA? How could the Dems vote for it?

Posted by: Martin FLL | Mar 23, 2011 10:24:36 PM

5. With respect, Rick S., and not to take away anything from the accomplishments of either Savage or Milk, but there was more than one gay activist before them with "crossover credibility." Leonard Matlovich wasn't chosen as the first named gay person on the cover of TIME magazine, and Elaine Noble wasn't elected to the Massachusetts state legislature and Allan Spear to the Minnesota state senate [both before Milk was elected to a city office], and gay activists such as Frank Kameny weren't able to convince the American Psychiatric Association to stop calling gays "sick" four years before anyone nationally had heard of Milk and decades before Savage's notoriety with only "credibility" among other gays. Spear even served 10 years as PRESIDENT of the state senate which required the votes of his straight colleagues.

Posted by: [email protected] | Mar 23, 2011 11:13:56 PM

6. @ Martin FLL, If you are hearing everyday from those around you that you are sick, deserve no rights and should be killed ... WHO are you hanging out with?? Get a grip, it isn't that bad

Posted by: Mike C. | Mar 23, 2011 11:51:57 PM

7. The biceps are slightly out of control

Posted by: humanzee | Mar 24, 2011 12:28:43 AM

8. Thank you Mike C. I was really irked by that comment. He made it sound like we were in Uganda or something.

Posted by: Pekemo | Mar 24, 2011 12:36:38 AM

9. Savage is sooo handsome, and what a lovely voice. He's no intellectual, of course, and some of his ideas are a tad incomplete. For example, It Gets Better should have included a warning not to come out unless it's totally safe. But that would have needed the backbone to stand up to the knee jerk self righteous crowd. And journalists are notorious glad handers.
    Still, the guy is charming, and he's doing some fine work. And I could gaze at that mug all day.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Mar 24, 2011 12:53:35 AM

10. For all the cry babies who want to put down people for spreading info like Dan come to Canada so you can escape your fight and act like it doesn't exist. Good for Dan for Bringing his msg all the way to the president! Who wants to fight the same fight but has to deal with the politics of your country. Bigotry and ignorance can't be concurred by Lady Gaga and Glee. Vote, inform and get involved. Because I'm tired of American's constant fighting over non issues. You have the evidence and logic on your side!

Posted by: Tonez | Mar 24, 2011 1:34:43 AM

11. As another "foreigner" in a relationship with a US citizen, I don't hear anyone trying to kill me.......Phelps notwithstanding....and he's an ape, every society has them.

But the USA has the excitement of Huckabee, Gingrich, Fox News, Santorum, that anorexic Coulter, the whole Republican Party, and many other Neanderthals who have not yet grasped the inconvenient truth of the Bill of Rights on equality,......and nothing less.
    These cavemen are at least a challenge.....and the face that they are all obsessed with religion in its various costumes is fantastically interesting historically.
    So,my friend in Florida, @ MartinFLL, I do agree that a trans nationality relationship is a big problem for many people, and it needs to be sorted out, but US society is not trying to kill us all.......just a few wing nuts.
    there needs to be a recognition of such relationships for residency purposes but I don't know of any advocacy groups who have yet taken up that baton.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 24, 2011 4:04:57 AM

12. To those of you who are having a go at Martin FLL, lay off.

I'm a South African - Full rights to marry. I live and have citizenship in England - Full rights to Civil Union.

I love an American, and he wants to spend our lives there, and I want to spend my life with him.

Green Cards are not easy to obtain, and working permits don't offer the stability I've worked long and hard to obtain.

America is so far behind the rest of the world. Your country in amazing in so many ways, but in this regard you are (in the literal sense) retarded.

I long for the day when there is critical mass for real change in the USA.

But do yourselves a favour - don't defend what in indefensible. US Society is WAY behind and falling further.

Posted by: Wallace | Mar 24, 2011 7:05:20 AM

13. I'm also a victim of the unfair US immigration laws - it's costing us a fortune and a lot of stress and inconvenience to stay in the country.

Posted by: mikey | Mar 24, 2011 7:42:50 AM

14. Barnes and Noble hosts an event for the book, but you post a link to purchase it from their competitor, Amazon? I'm a bit curious about that reasoning.

Posted by: Drew Z | Mar 24, 2011 9:32:18 AM

15. ..as an american ( I refuse to use a Capital A) when referring to this country (it doesn't deserve it. We live in a HYPOCRACY...america is like a marque' - it lures you in with its pretty words/sayings and promises..and delivers NONE. Liberty & Justice for All are JUST pretty words, that make america sound better then it actually is in reality. america NEEDS to GROW UP.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 24, 2011 9:54:35 AM

16. Is Towleroad becoming a marketing vehicle for Dan Savage?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 24, 2011 1:13:18 PM

17. "Is Towleroad becoming a marketing vehicle for Dan Savage?"

You ain't never lied, sugah!
    I feel disrespected four or five different ways ... And I suspect a good many Gay men would say the same thing.

Posted by: Sugah | Mar 24, 2011 2:23:14 PM

18. I think Dan Savage has made the most articulate arguments for GLBT equality I've ever heard anyone utter in the public sphere. Some might have criticisms of him, and that's fine, but it's important to understand his impact. He's extremely popular, especially among younger people... his cogent, impassioned, and often very funny arguments on behalf of all GLBT people have helped to move the debate forward. I, for one, support him and his efforts.

And yes, the biceps are pretty awesome.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 24, 2011 2:24:37 PM

19. America is behind the EU, Canada, and a couple Latin American countries on LGBT rights. It is not behind Asia, Africa, the Middle East, the Caribbean, and nearly all of Central and South America. I'm sorry that things aren't perfect here---far from it---but they're a hell of a lot worse in most countries.

I'm well aware of how frustrating US politics can be, but that's no reason to make patently false statements.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 24, 2011 8:19:57 PM