Christine Quinn | Discrimination | News

Quinn Boycotts Staten Island St. Patrick's Parade Over Discrimination

Quinn_Pride NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn and other Big Apple lawmakers announced that they will no longer walk in the Staten Island St. Patrick's Day parade after organizers refused to let people show their gay pride at yesterday's event.

Though LGBT activists were initially allowed walk along, they were told they could only do so if they kept all signs of gay pride out of sight. Activists refused, and parade organizers then did their best to toss them.

"They tried to take us out," explained Dominick DeRubbio, who tried to march with other members of the local Young Democrats chapter.

Another participant, St. Jermaine Endeley, who was wearing a rainbow emblem, says a parade organizer tried to censor his garb: "He grabbed my jacket and tried to rip the [rainbow] ribbon off of me. It's not fair. This is America. I can wear what I want."

Quinn, an Irish-American lesbian, insisted she and many of her colleagues, including NYC Comptroller John Liu, Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, and Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer, won't return to the parade until organizers open their ranks.

She also remarked that she's bewildered by the continued discrimination: "Don't Ask Don't Tell has been repealed. The military is no longer discriminating against LGBT people but yet parades in New York City are. It baffles the mind."

Mayor Mike Bloomberg has not joined the boycott, a move Stringer criticized. "I think the mayor had a wonderful opportunity to be here with us and not march, and that would have sent the clearest message," he declared. "As influential as we are, the mayor does set the tone for this city. He would have moved this debate forward to recognize that."

Comments

1. 73 percent of the people in Ireland favor gay marriage. Only the fake Irish in Staten Island are real homophobes. I am Irish and gay, and they are homophobes.

Posted by: candideinnc | Mar 7, 2011 9:56:44 AM

2. Looks like this is a Catholic group taking money from the city for their parade. Looks like the spigot needs to be turned off and maybe they need to be sued.

Posted by: John Patrick | Mar 7, 2011 10:10:30 AM

3. More bigotry from fundamentalists. Glad people are speaking out.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 7, 2011 10:26:12 AM

4. Unbelievable this BS goes on in 2011.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 11:12:17 AM

5. For all of the racist BS that I read on this site about Black people, White people (who actually hold most of the power in this country) do the most damage to the gay rights movement. The religious right movement is controlled by Whites not Blacks. End the racist BS NOW! Thanks!

A Wealthy Young Muscular Gay Black Lawyer

Posted by: OnyxEsq | Mar 7, 2011 11:24:42 AM

6. Ironic, considering that Ireland is moving rapidly toward full gay marriage, and, as part of the EU, already has more protections for the civil rights of LGBT people than NYC, or anywhere in the US!

Posted by: Husky14620 | Mar 7, 2011 12:53:57 PM

7. @ONYXESQ,

Southern evangelical black ministers are e'fing REAL bad in regards to homophobia. And black American culture is VERY anti-gay, homophobic. Don't blame whites; all the places in the U.S. that have shown great progress in gay rights are OVERWHELMINGLY white [and strongly Catholic BTW also]. NO ONE is saying ALL black Americans are 'Bad', anti-gay, homophobic, etc.,

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 1:40:33 PM

8. The St Patrick's Day parades in the US are a cause of great embarrassment to people in Ireland. Ireland does not want to be linked to this type of bigotry.

Posted by: SteveC | Mar 7, 2011 1:41:52 PM

9. @STEVEC,

I'm part 'Irish' [i.e. Irish descent...I realize Irish hate Americans who call themselves Irish]. That said: I don't give a flying F about St. Patrick's Day, have never attended a parade [even though I was born in NYC, and grew up in NYC and Boston] and NEVER call my self 'Irish.'

Now, if we can only stop illegal Irish 'Immigrants' from stealing jobs from Americans of Irish descent and others. NYC is FULL of them. And they all look down on 'Irish' Americans. Pretty amusing if you ask me.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 2:03:06 PM

10. In the not too distant future, the parade will invite the President of Ireland to be Grand Marshall and he will show up with a rainbow flag.

And they'll toss him out.

Posted by: BobN | Mar 7, 2011 2:09:25 PM

11. bastard: lol, I thought every place in this country was overwhelmingly white. This kid here. ha!

Is D.C. overwhelmingly black? I hope so, to turn your own stats on your dumb self.

I bet you're one of those "non racist", huh? What he was commenting on, was that a majority of the anti-gay stories that involve black suspects, the comments are at least, 85% racist. In the stories where the suspects are white, there are none. That, my dear friend, was what he was talking about. I gather you knew that as well, but from the trolling I see you always posting on here, you just wanted to make an opportunity to throw in your magically negative, racist statistics that you never seem to source, and when called out, you provide a source relating to something different.

Kiddo, the jig is up.

Posted by: B | Mar 7, 2011 2:19:38 PM

12. @B,

ANYTHING I've posted that could be considered 'Racist' has legit sources. But I've never said anything racist. I have pointed out that blacks account for HUGELY disproportionate level of VIOLENT crime in America. PERFECTLY true and sourced by the DOJ [Depart. of Justice], FBI, local police agencies, widely published big city homicide maps, etc.,

I may have also mentioned black American subculture is very homophobic. Which it is.

'Kiddo, the jig is up.' What jig, 'kiddo?'

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 2:39:42 PM

13. BTW Massachusetts has a huge 'Irish' American population. And a dominant white ethnic Catholic population. This is the state that is the most advanced as far as gay rights is concerned. This is also the most secular American state.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 2:41:28 PM

14. BobN said: "In the not too distant future, the parade will invite the President of Ireland to be Grand Marshall and he will show up with a rainbow flag"

Um - actually they asked her to be Grand Marshall this year and she refused because of the homophobia of the parade.

Posted by: SteveC | Mar 7, 2011 3:52:31 PM

15. Ratbastard says: "I'm part 'Irish' [i.e. Irish descent... and NEVER call my self 'Irish' "

Well why WOULD you call yourself Irish? You're not Irish after all...?

Posted by: SteveC | Mar 7, 2011 3:54:59 PM

16. @STEVEC,

Steve, where are you located, and what's your nationality?

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 4:41:03 PM

17. The excuse is that is a religious parade and it would offend all those butch straight priest.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 7, 2011 6:27:25 PM

18. Also, who gives a flying F if you're 'A Wealthy Young Muscular Gay Black Lawyer'...insecure?

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 7, 2011 1:40:33 PM

Miss Ratbastard Do you live in NYC by any chance?

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Mar 8, 2011 6:10:37 AM