Democratic Party | News | Texas

Watch: TX Democratic County Chair Dan Ramos Calls Gay Groups 'Termites', Compares Them to Nazi Party

Ramos

I missed this piece last weekend in the Dallas Voice about Texas' Bexar County Democratic Chair Dan Ramos's remarks about the national gay group Stonewall Democrats:

In an interview with the Current today, Ramos blamed homosexuals in the party for both undermining his authority and for the poor election results in Bexar County in 2010. “They are all connected to the gay Democratic Party, the so-called Stonewall Democrats. Just like termites they managed to get some of their people in key positions,” he said.

The party faithful has been largely divided over Ramos since he was elected to office in May, 2010, but his chief detractors are all homosexuals, Ramos said.

Ramos said he opposes homosexuality on religious grounds and doesn’t believe gay-friendly Democrats like Stonewall reflect the values of Bexar County voters. “I liken them to the Tea Party — the Tea Party and the f**king Nazi Party — because they’re 90 percent white, blue-eyed, and Anglo, and I don’t give a f**k who knows that. Just like the blacks … they’re American, but you can’t get your way just because you’re black.”

Ramos held a press conference today, Think Progress reports, at which he repeated the "termites" remarks and refused to apologize for the comments.

Said Ramos: "I believe I’m dealing with the truth, sometimes the truth hurts. So be it."

The chair of the Texas Democratic Party Boyd Richie has called for Ramos' resignation and the Stonewall Democrats have condemned Ramos' remarks.

Ramos sought money from Stonewall Democrats during his campaign for County Chair.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. are texas dems kind of like california repubs

california repubs anywhere else outside of Ca would be blue dog dems

texas dems anywhere else than texas would be repub

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 17, 2011 6:48:29 PM

2. i'm so sick of hearing about ignorant bigoted old men and their stooooopid comments.

Posted by: Trey | Mar 17, 2011 6:54:08 PM

3. Yes, one of the major evolutionary advantages of the termite is its ability to secure strategic political positions.

Posted by: poison | Mar 17, 2011 6:57:25 PM

4. old people say the darndest. too bad for him he wont be around much longer to spew his bile.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 17, 2011 7:04:28 PM

5. "the blacks"

Man, you can always tell who still thinks its "us vs. them" when you see that one.

Posted by: Spudger | Mar 17, 2011 7:05:28 PM

6. He's against homosexuality for religious reasons. I'm against his trifling ass for religious reasons.

Posted by: dingo | Mar 17, 2011 7:06:29 PM

7. wow! for someone against homosexuality for "religious reasons," he certainly doesn't have a problem with invective, does he?

no doubt when he finds himself out of a job, he'll continue to hold teh gays responsible for his fall.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 17, 2011 7:22:57 PM

8. He's actually been a thorn in the side of the Democratic party there for some time before this, and they've been trying to get rid of him.

Posted by: ttt | Mar 17, 2011 7:26:33 PM

9. So thankful Towleroad picked this up. We've been dealing with this idiot since March. Yes, Bexar County Dems elected him but it was more a case of mistaken identity about the other candidate, who he called a lesbian during this press conference. Unfortunately he seems to be of the Col. Gaddafi model and only digs in deeper as the pressure mounts.

Posted by: RBearSAT | Mar 17, 2011 7:26:50 PM

10. "the blacks"

lol, do you need help getting to your car, sir? you can hand your keys to security on the way out. thx.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Mar 17, 2011 7:31:56 PM

11. I assume the ethnic makeup of this county is overwhelmingly Hispanic? In just a couple of sentences he attacked gays, "the blacks", and "anglos", likening them to Nazis. since he's burned his bridges with every other group, he better hope he has really deep roots with his base.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 17, 2011 7:32:20 PM

12. Isn't it interesting how "I'm oppose homosexuality for religious reasons" always seems to somehow be a validation for statements like gays are like termites? Religious beliefs=gays are termites. Uh, no.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 17, 2011 7:33:57 PM

13. Over the next few days, he will be caught with a sack full of buttplugs and a gallon of Elbow Grease.

You heard it here first!

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Mar 17, 2011 7:42:05 PM

14. NEWSFLASH:

Not all 'Whites', even 'Anglos', have blue eyes. In fact most don't. I'm white, and Mr. Ramos looking at me I'm sure would consider me 'Anglo', and my eyes are hazel-green.

And unless I'm blind [I'm not] Mr. Ramos is white. Mr. Ramos is clearly of white European descent. It's about time we stop referring to 'Hispanics' like Mr. Ramos and many others of white European descent, by way of so-called Latin America, racial minorities. They aren't.

As for the rest of his comments: Why is he Democrat? It's suddenly come to his attention the Democratic party is 'Progressive' and 'Inclusive' [allegedly]? No doubt Mr. Ramos enjoys his 'Minority' status and all the s*cking up to and goodies white 'Anglo' so=called progressives throw at 'Oppressed' so-called minorities like Mr. Ramos, and he's made a nice living at it. My suggestion Mr. Ramos is you should embrace your white European background. Come out of the closet. Even the Nazis would have no problem accepting you as a brother. I myself have known numerous fascist neo-Nazis and sympathizers of very similar background to you.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 17, 2011 8:19:48 PM

15. I'm so glad I moved away from San Antonio it sucked there and this just shows it

Posted by: Kevzin | Mar 17, 2011 9:13:59 PM

16. To answer Brian's question: Bexar County is basically San Antonio, which is about 60% Latino. I used to live in San Antonio, and I would say that this character does not in general reflect that city's current attitude toward its gay citizens. I was actually surprised upon moving to San Antonio to find it to be an overall fairly welcoming community, and one that leans Democratic in its politics. There is a significant Catholic influence, however during my time there I never heard of any gay issues being brought up as a wedge issue by local politicians.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 17, 2011 9:25:21 PM

17. It should be noted that the largest city in Texas and 4th largest in the nation elected an openly gay mayor who has a long time partner and adopted children.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Mar 17, 2011 10:52:37 PM

18. His religious beliefs must run pretty shallow if it is true he sought contributions from the Stonewall "termites". His religion does not affect his greed for money and power it seems.

Posted by: Danny | Mar 18, 2011 12:08:55 AM

19. I know the chances are slim but could this just be another closeted, frustrated old queen? Well, maybe they're not so slim after all as this phenomenon seems to be occurring with increasing regularity. The advancement of the agenda of acceptance in society at large has really backed some of these types into a corner from which they can only escape by lashing out. The world is changing faster than they can handle and there's nowhere to run.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 18, 2011 1:42:03 AM

20. The old guard is so used to its supporters doing what they say. Of course he is angry. He is angry because gays fought the last two years to get something from the Democratic elite and won on DADT -- sort of. The old guard doesn't want anyone to stand up to them. The message is loud and clear, if we don't stand up and fight, we would win. I only hope that labor will stand up and continue fighting. I will support them since they stood by me and my gay family. Fight! Fight to Win!

America -- "Of the Corporation, by the Corporation, for the Corporation."

Posted by: Grayhairguy | Mar 18, 2011 3:16:55 AM

21. How in the f@ck did that f@cking bigot get a position of authority?

Posted by: Mel Smith | Mar 18, 2011 6:11:34 AM

22. What a tool, release the pink ninjas to take care of him. Seriously, can he be impeached?

Posted by: Ish | Mar 18, 2011 7:37:22 AM

23. It appears we who live in Texas are blessed with, among many negative things, bigots in both political parties although there do seem to be many more homophobic GOPers than Dems -- at least visibily homophobic. This Bexar County Hispanic Dem is a pitiful old fool who, I hope, will get his political comeuppance very soon.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Mar 18, 2011 8:33:05 AM

24. The post says Ramos sought money from Stonewall Democrats during his campaign for County Chair, but it doesn't say if they gave it to him. Does anyone know?

Posted by: Don | Mar 18, 2011 8:57:16 AM

25. Perhsps it is time for Señor Ramos to return to his south of the border roots. His hateful bigoted remarks leave him open to similar attacks. I'd start swimming if I was him.

Posted by: Alan Carrier | Mar 18, 2011 10:03:02 AM