Anton Hysen | Football | News | Sweden

BigGayDeal.com

Swedish Footballer Anton Hysen: I'm Gay

Hysen

Anton Hysen, a 22-year-old Swedish second-division footballer, came out of the closet in an Offside magazine interview, and is now Europe's highest-profile (if not only) openly-gay footballer.

Said Hysen:

"I want to prove that there is no big deal if I’m a footballer and also gay. If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like men or women...There will always be people who can’t tolerate gay people, just like there are people who can’t tolerate immigrants. A club might be interested in me and then the coach might change his mind if he finds out I’m gay, but that is his problem not mine."

Anton’s current coach at Utsiktens BK is a former defender at Liverpool FC, and his father.

One more, hot shot of Anton, AFTER THE JUMP...

Anton_hysen

Comments

1. Very inspiring story! I hope this will give other professional sportspeople the courage to be open as well.

But as a gay man, my strongest response is that HE IS HOT! I will play with his balls all day, and practise dribbling whenever needed. There, I've said it.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 9, 2011 7:12:53 PM

2. To be even more of a stereotype, I'll just say he's fierce in every meaning of the word. Dang.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 9, 2011 7:17:31 PM

3. I guess it helps that his current coach is his FATHER.

And agree with Josh - the guy is hot! And so was his father - do an image search on "Glenn Hysen" - seriously hot in the 80s.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 9, 2011 7:19:14 PM

4. I would love a 3-some with him and his father. Eeeeuuugh, I meant to say him and his father from the 80s. That's definitely less eeeuuugh.

Posted by: Ripped | Mar 9, 2011 7:21:22 PM

5. Cool!

Posted by: Jacob | Mar 9, 2011 7:27:30 PM

6. Gentlemen! Let's focus on the newsworthiness of the story, rather than his delicious bad-boyish looks, and his magnificently tanned, bulging bicep...

OK, I need a shirtless pic NOW!

PLEASE!

Posted by: Sonny | Mar 9, 2011 7:37:02 PM

7. I hope the soccer community does a better job this time around compared to what they did to Justin Fashanu in the 80's and 90's. I'm proud of Anton, but all eyes should be on European soccer now.

Posted by: Alan E. | Mar 9, 2011 7:58:21 PM

8. There's a shirtless pic of him here, but don't blame me if you mess up your keyboard!

Posted by: Ross Tex | Mar 9, 2011 8:06:36 PM

9. Apparently Mr. Hysen has more class than people here.

Kudos to Mr. Hysen for your class and for coming out.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 9, 2011 8:09:27 PM

10. I'm sure Anton is pleased to be the no. 1 gay sex symbol in the world right now, so I will join the other guys on here to also appreciate his hotness.

(And yeah, good move on coming out)

Posted by: Jimjam | Mar 9, 2011 8:38:06 PM

11. @Alex: Uh...wowyeh! Mind if I join the three of you? Jeez.

Posted by: Danny | Mar 9, 2011 8:38:47 PM

12. And for being SO HOT!

Guys like him are why we're gay.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 9, 2011 8:38:49 PM

13. cool

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 9, 2011 10:16:53 PM

14. I'm really happy all these european sports figures are coming out.
    I hope this is just the start of an avalanche. What about the U.S.?
    Why aren't our footballers bouncing out of the closet?

Posted by: gregg | Mar 9, 2011 10:50:00 PM

15. why does being gay involve being 'fit', he's a master footballer? nah, just a young guy that already has too much money & on the back of other outing's think's now is the time to make money

Posted by: scotsguy | Mar 9, 2011 10:56:05 PM

16. he has an earring & muscle, it's boring

Posted by: scotsguy | Mar 9, 2011 10:59:16 PM

17. so much more goin on in the world, folk fighting, folk for rights, not just contracts for photo opportunities

Posted by: scotsguy | Mar 9, 2011 11:02:24 PM

18. The thing is, it still is a big deal. Once we can all name 3 current out athletes in all of the sports, then it won't be a big deal any more. I don't think I can name 3 currently out pro athletes in ANY single sport

Posted by: Randy | Mar 9, 2011 11:07:27 PM

19. Anton is 20 years old, not 22.

Also, there are much better pictures of him. That one just makes him look tacky.

Posted by: niklas | Mar 10, 2011 3:47:08 AM

20. Put a sock in it SCOTS2GUY as the Brits like to say.

As above said, it does help his Dad is coach, so I have a feeling everyone already knew. Just like poor Brandon was able to come out in hockey R.I.P.

Not sure what glamorous world Scots2guy lives but the football terraces are MURDER. Sweden can be a nasty place but this guy has a cool head on his shoulders and it helps his Dad has respect.

Wouldn't want to be him!

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 10, 2011 4:20:56 AM

21. That's nice. Sorry to be cynical, but the fact he's very well connected through his dad, obviously privileged, etc., is a big part of the story. Nothing 'Typical' about Anton. I'm not sure if his story translates well to the average gay, bi or str8 guy of any age or nationality.

Anton really lucked out in life, regardless of his sexuality.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 10, 2011 6:56:52 AM

22. isn't he one half of former boyband "Bros" ?

Posted by: arch | Mar 10, 2011 7:21:49 AM

23. Lol, Arch, you remember BROS??

He looks nothing like the twins nor Craig. At all.

Rat, of course he wouldn't have come out if it wasn't for the fact that his whole family in football and his Dad was so respected. There is no doubt about it.

What I like about this is his attitude, which is full of 'take me as I am' instead of all the 'I wanted to be like everyone else, hated myself, thought I was the worst thing, prayed the gay away etc etc'. Yeah his young but Chris Colfer gave the same spiel and so did the cricketer who is only 24.

So you know + 10 for this kid who seems very secure in himself.

And lastly, not sure how many football games you have been to in Europe but flipping eck, the supporters are monsters. Utter scum. Urgh really really aggressive, offensive and violent. So again + 10.

The bottom line is you can argue Chris Hughes past Facebook guy is lucky because he went to Harvard, is blue eyed, blonde and really bright, so the fact that he's a big gay activist means nothing because he is privileged. Well no because it's not how you get there but the impact you make.

Justin Fashanu came out in 1990. Was he a pioneer, damn straight. Did he have an impact? Only really negatively because of the amount of people who disowned him, then he committed suicide.

To a lot of people before he came out he was a n*gga. He used to get bananas thrown at him all the blaming time and those monkey noises. Young gay kids just saw the negatives, especially because if the colour of his skin, it was construed as 'someone not like me'.

But this kid? Well to a lot of gay kids playing football, they will see, this guy is just like me. First off. They won't go into deeply analytically about whether he is privileged or not.

People slag off affirmative action but it works. As human beings, the first thing we notice is how someone physically looks and in that breadth, we make seconds of a decision of who that person is.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 10, 2011 7:47:06 AM

24. Cool.

Posted by: Joseph A. Mustich, JP | Mar 10, 2011 8:02:49 AM

25. "Sorry to be cynical..." No you are not, aptly-named Ratbastard. You and your alter-ego, Tank, relish finding a negative angle on any good news story. Somehow, you have convinced yourself that you are special, smart, and different from the rest of us (you are correct in the latter). I suspect nobody ever invites you to social outings because you probably whine about the wine and just about everything else.

Posted by: Rick S. | Mar 10, 2011 8:02:53 AM