Advertising | Australia | News

Watch: Foster's Beer Ad Raises Gay Red Flags

FostersCommercial

Foster's should probably rethink their ad campaign, because their latest advertisement has people wondering if the Australian beer company's endorsing homophobia.

The commercial in question, part of their "Good Call!" series, features a panicked man called the Foster's advice line on how to handle another male friend who wants sun screen advice. He's permitted to do so, say the beer-guzzling gurus, but only if he follows strict rules, like "no eye contact, eye contact, scented candles, power ballads, and do not apply if he’s wearing budgie smugglers," known here as a speedo.

When the friend in question appears, lo and behold, he's wearing "budgie smuggles" and told to change. Viewers on YouTube have wondered what message Foster's wants to sell, forcing the company to defend itself.

"The humor in our ad is derived from a particular set of circumstances where our character seeks advice from Brad & Dan – it plays on his perception of the awkwardness of the situation; and to the Aussie 'no worries' attitude to life," said a spokesman.

Though Foster's realizes a "small number" of people are offended, they're simply trying to provide a "funny and well meaning commercial." I'm not one to knee-jerk on commercials such as this, but I find very little funny or well meaning here.

Watch the commercial and tell me what you think, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This isn't raising any ire.. sorry, this one's definitely a mole hill.

Posted by: Davey | Mar 7, 2011 8:12:14 AM

2. I thought it was funny and was not offended in the least. I love the Aussie humor.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 7, 2011 8:12:31 AM

3. Isn't this the same genre as the Avan Jogia piece: straight guys, deal with it? Except this one will be understood by more people.

Posted by: Russell | Mar 7, 2011 8:18:35 AM

4. I don't see anything wrong with a man wearing tiny Speedos. Women wear tiny bikinis to the beach all the time. If they can wear tiny swimsuits I don't see why men can't.

We shouldn't be bowing to the sleazy straight male perception of things. Sleazy straight men want everything to be on their terms - ie women in tiny biknis OK, men in tiny Speedos not OK.

Posted by: brian | Mar 7, 2011 8:21:49 AM

5. Obviously, Foster's wasn't intentionally trying to promote homophobia. But that's what comes across in the ad, even with it's cheeky humor and cute accents. The guy is absolutely paranoid that people are going to think he's gay if he rubs suntan lotion on his friend's back. Then the two advice guys tell him all the things he can do to make sure that he doesn't cross the "gay line".

Posted by: David in Houston | Mar 7, 2011 8:21:54 AM

6. It's like the "no homo" for beer.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Mar 7, 2011 8:28:03 AM

7. Sorry guys, no offence at all. It will be the same if a commerical was targeted to a gay audiance. Imagine a set when your not very attractive neighbour wanted to have a beer with you. You ask a friend for advice and he tells you: Yes, but avoid eye contact, watch out if he locks the door and definitely he shouldn't be using lycra bike pants. Are all unhandsome neighbours to be angry with that? Are neighbours in general being angry and complain? No pals...

Posted by: Pedro | Mar 7, 2011 8:41:07 AM

8. Oh c'mon, this wasn't that bad. I was more alarmed by the term "budgie smugglers" and the fact that I could barely understand what they were saying.

Posted by: Ioann | Mar 7, 2011 8:43:27 AM

9. I think its a bit of a mole hill... but I also didnt think it was funny really. Stupid possibly.. cos after all, if its his mate, surely he already knows if hes straight or not. And he has to call these Fosters gurus to see if its okay? LOL Pathetic :) I know its an ad, but I just wish theyd made a bit more sense. Interesting that the guy calling up is a Brit, as is his mate, so presumably its a UK ad for Fosters cos I sure as hell dont know anyone here in Australia who drinks that crud :)

Posted by: Steve | Mar 7, 2011 8:52:55 AM

10. Honestly, I don't think it was all that funny, but not really offensive either.

Posted by: KJ | Mar 7, 2011 9:01:12 AM

11. I thought it was rather cheeky. Nothing offensive to this gay. Too bad the speedo boy doesn't fill out his suit more fully.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Mar 7, 2011 9:06:30 AM

12. It wasn't meant to be anti-gay. At least that's what I took from it. It was more of a joke about male insecurity and homophobia than about gay men.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 7, 2011 9:16:10 AM

13. As a gay man, if a str8 buddy asked me to rub lotion on his back and there were scented candles, power ballads and he was only wearing a "bungie smuggler" (aka a banana hammock, aka a speedo) I would be uncomfortable too.

Posted by: badlydrawnbear | Mar 7, 2011 9:27:23 AM

14. I didn't find it offensive or homophobic. What I see in this, as with every other joke, comment, commercial or conversation that takes the same tone is this...

I can remember being a young boy (11, 12, 13 yrs old) and how I felt knowing what I knew about myself, and then seeing or hearing something like this commercial.

While not homophobic, what it DOES do is push kids further into the closet who already have figured out they are attracted to the same sex.
    And little by little, ads like this build up and then until the manifest themselves into the form of anxiety, worrying, the pressure to appear to be something other than what you know you are, sadness, and then the praying, and all to often the pain that comes along with a lifetime of small things like this ad.
    By itself, this ad is not much...but on a daily basis along with every other small thing, it is one little straw on the back of child who is dealing with accepting himself and being made to feel like something is wrong with them.
    I think we all can remember this.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 7, 2011 9:34:11 AM

15. Agree with Waynempls.

Posted by: GAYLY | Mar 7, 2011 9:34:28 AM

16. I have a sense of humor about such things, but no, I didn't find this funny. It was just kind of stupid. I find it hard to believe straight guys would actually go into "gay panic mode" over sunscreen.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 7, 2011 9:37:19 AM

17. Wow. The humor is based on the line between homosociality and homosexuality, which has to be constantly defended through homophobia.

OK, too technical. The humor is based on the fear of being perceived as gay. That fear is based on the idea that it's bad to be gay. The humor is based in homophobia.

And many of you guys are OK with that?

So if we had an ad based on, say, fear of getting into a swimming pool with black people, say, with advice to get in only if there was one, and he was lighter than a paper bag, and maybe if you poured in some clorox first, that would be funny too, right?

Posted by: Kevinvt | Mar 7, 2011 9:39:34 AM

18. Homophobic? Defamation? Um... not a bit, to me.

Seems more like "Uh, how do I avoid sending mixed messages to my 'mate'".

Mildly amusing.

Posted by: jexer | Mar 7, 2011 9:45:16 AM

19. Things like this is where the whole "I had to kill him" gay panic defense takes hold.
    (of course they had to include a hot babe hanging up the dart board.)

Posted by: Eddie | Mar 7, 2011 9:52:49 AM

20. We really have to stop getting overly sensitive about any film or commercial that comes down the pike with a gay theme or gay situation (no matter how slight!). I would not be surprised if one of the reasons that there are so few gay representations on television is because gays are overly critical and overly sensitive and demand positive, politically correct portrayals even a beer commercial. Put your energies into fighting the GOP Congress would want to defend DOMA! Leave the silly commercial alone.

Posted by: will | Mar 7, 2011 10:00:17 AM

21. LAME

Posted by: Joseph Thomas | Mar 7, 2011 10:01:46 AM

22. Australian's never drink foster's

Australian's are loyal to their regional beers

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 7, 2011 10:23:29 AM

23. For me it has the same old message that most of these types of ads have...touching another man is icky, and being gay or being thought to be gay...that's a bad thing.
    The message seems pretty clear to me...plus Fosters is skunk water.

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Mar 7, 2011 10:25:14 AM

24. PS

VB is the highest selling beer in Australia

Foster's doesn't rank amongst the top selling beers in australia

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Mar 7, 2011 10:25:57 AM

25. I think the ad is funny, and I'm not offended in the least.

Posted by: Fred | Mar 7, 2011 10:33:30 AM