Bullying | Ireland | News

Watch: Powerful Irish Anti-Bullying Campaign Encourages Teens to Stand Up for Their LGBT Friends

Bullying_irish

Check out this new, wonderfully-executed campaign from Ireland, created as part of BeLonG To Youth Services annual Stand Up! LGBT Awareness Weeks.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Awesome awesome.

Posted by: Mark | Apr 1, 2011 7:10:11 PM

2. that made me tear up. Very well done

Posted by: Matthew | Apr 1, 2011 7:16:07 PM

3. Lovely. Hopefully the world as it will become in the US.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 1, 2011 7:16:50 PM

4. This is great!! I think there are more straight allies out there than we think. They just need to be made aware what their gay friends, classmates, family members are going through.

Posted by: Austin | Apr 1, 2011 7:39:30 PM

5. One of most amazing commercials I've ever seen. Kudos to the makers...you should be very proud.

Posted by: blueyedray | Apr 1, 2011 7:43:23 PM

6. Tear up? Please. I was bawling at the end like the little girl I am ....

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Apr 1, 2011 7:51:25 PM

7. It is really glorious to see what Ireland has become over the last 20 years. They have their share of problems still, no doubt about it, but they have really cast off the weight of 1000 years of a masochistic relationship with the Church that has held them back in every way imaginable. The nation is utterly transformed

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Apr 1, 2011 8:32:30 PM

8. Lovely!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2011 8:37:09 PM

9. +WOW! Sweet stuff, wish to hell that had been possible for me as a kid. Thank God these young pups are coming into a new world. Good for all of us young and old.

Posted by: the village elder | Apr 1, 2011 8:47:20 PM

10. Excellent video...just wish that would happen in real life. Maybe someday?

Lest we forget those who didn't quite get the support from their peers...

Posted by: CB | Apr 1, 2011 9:05:40 PM

11. Also: burst into tears. I mean just explosive sob, waterworks, the whole deal. Holy smokes.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Apr 1, 2011 9:07:44 PM

12. CB I watched that video you recommended

That one did make me lose it, all those beautiful young lives gone forever because of small minded haters. The mind boggles, the soul weeps. Thanks? for sharing it.

Posted by: the village elder | Apr 1, 2011 10:29:01 PM

13. Well done, Ireland.

Posted by: Patrick M | Apr 1, 2011 10:36:21 PM

14. In the 1970's we tried to change things through Gay Liberation; slowly we can make the world a better place. Thank you for your contribution. The future thanks you.

Posted by: anton veenstra | Apr 2, 2011 12:57:59 AM

15. Oscar Wilde is cavorting in heaven.

Posted by: B | Apr 2, 2011 1:06:48 AM

16. Swear I'm not trying to be controversial.

That was one of the most unbelievable, contrived pieces of self-serving dreck I've recently seen. It was created by a bunch of out of tune middle-aged ad people, and would be laughed at by the characters within the film.

Am glad so many found it moving, but it made me dislike everyone in it. Pollyanna. Syrupy. And unconvincing. Felt like a failed film school experiment.

Posted by: GEG | Apr 2, 2011 1:57:56 AM

17. As with most campaigns in recent months standing up for homosexuals,I'm still mixed about this.

On the one hand I tell myself to embrace it because people are standing up for us.On the other,I feel like people are just exploiting us because we homosexuals have suffered so much for so long.It had been known that suicide is higher among homosexuals and that gay youths are regularly bullied.So why are people only standing up for us now?

Whether or not we're truly being exploited,I don't know.But I'm sure that at least a significant minority of these "activists" are exploiting us.Why? Because we live in a homophobic world.The culture is homophobic.

This is the unfortunate thing about being a minority.

Posted by: J | Apr 2, 2011 2:05:55 AM

18. Although bullying has been around for centuries, it has now become mainstream and more directed at hate rather than the muscle bound kicking sand in the skinny guys face. I am happy that these video's of toleration are being made more and more, especially considering, at least here in the U.S. where Christianist's have entered the political field inforce, continually promoting the hate usually seen in theocratic societies.

Posted by: CB | Apr 2, 2011 2:12:03 AM

19. Folks, it's happening. We're winning - people are coming around. Not as fast as we want, but it IS happening and we will prevail. We just have to persist.

Posted by: Nice_Red | Apr 2, 2011 2:39:18 AM

20. Terrific!

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Apr 2, 2011 3:52:55 AM

21. Well, don't stand for ANY bullying of anybody - gay, straight, friend, stranger, child, adult, boy or girl. Schoolteachers are especially guilty of turning a blind eye to this, and it's sickening.

Posted by: Denny | Apr 2, 2011 4:27:02 AM

22. @ GEG. This wasn't made for you or me, nor was it made for the bullies represented in the ad. It was made to hopefully encourage other kids to "stand up" for their gay peers and affect change. And those kids won't all "laugh at it". I work with kids and showed them this today, and the effect was pretty inspiring. There was no laughing - they totally got it.
    And BTW, a quick Google of the group BeLonGTo is enough to see that they are very far from "a bunch of out of tune middle-aged ad people". It appears to be a very impressive gay youth organization. Bravo to them.

Posted by: ron | Apr 2, 2011 6:34:52 AM

23. Thanks, what a nice way to start a Saturday...

Posted by: John Normile | Apr 2, 2011 7:04:14 AM

24. it is a brave new world for gay youth. and, it will keep evolving for the better.

Posted by: nic | Apr 2, 2011 7:06:16 AM

25. Wonderful! It's a pity our government won't make such pronounced a stand against bullying.

Posted by: GaryJ | Apr 2, 2011 7:13:25 AM