Italy | News

Italian MP Paola Concia and Her Partner Harassed in Public: 'They Should Have Sent You to the Ovens'

An Italian lesbian MP and her partner were harassed in Rome as they walked through an upscale shopping district, ADN Kronos International reports:

Concia "A man of around 35 years old started shouting: 'F**king lesbians, they should have sent you to the ovens'!" Paola Concia told Adnkronos.

Concia said that of all the many passers-by on the via Campo Marzio near the Italian parliament, only one woman and a conservative politician, Antonino Lo Presti, came to her and her partner's defence. Some people even took the 'homophobic' man's side, she said, adding that it was not the first time she had been publicly insulted.

"But this time it was more violently aggressive - I could sense this man's contempt. Why should I accept such insults?" said Concia, who introduced an anti-homophobia bill in the Italian parliament that failed to become law.

Italian gay rights group Arcigay and an array of politicians from across all parties condemned the incident, the news service reports.

Comments

1. and i think rabid animals like him should be euthanized

Posted by: mld | Apr 22, 2011 10:11:00 AM

2. Italy is very socially conservative and pretty much backwards, which we saw when everyone cheered when Berlusconi said it's better to be a pedophile than gay. And what we've seen when it comes to how they treat women, and their racism and homophobia. So this incident is not a surprise, sadly. Hopefully Italy can start progressing in a positive direction soon.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 22, 2011 10:31:28 AM

3. Note: A CONSERVATIVE politician came to their defense.

I suppose a lot of gays are now going to boycott Italy and Rome? Cause you know this kind of stuff only happens in [fill in the blank], not in 'Progressive' places like Rome!

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2011 11:27:19 AM

4. Rome is anything but liberal. I felt very uncomfortable walking around there. Gay scene can only be described as odd and elusive.

Posted by: Diogenes | Apr 22, 2011 12:27:47 PM

5. RatBastard, I am interesting in knowing your opinion on this rapid example of homophobia occuring in Italy, a white non-minority country. As a gay black man, the homophobic pigs in my community makes me sick to my stomach. But, most of the black homophobes lack real power. I call the homophobic people in my community "powerless pigs." Black people follow white heterosexual homophobes. Donald Trump for example is respected by a lot of black homophobic people, and black people in general. He recently said he is against gay partnerships.

Trump doesn't even think we deserve a response from him. Here's another example: CEPAC, the conservative group I think, invited Donald Trump to speak at their forum. How many marriages has this man had, and they gave him a standing ovation??? And at the same time, gay conservatives barely even received an invite. In their eyes, it's better to be anything except gay.

ALL HOMOPHOBIC PEOPLE ARE OUR ENENMIES. But the worst homophobe is those who have the most power, and YOU KNOW it ain't minority folks. Visit the average black Christian family home, and they would probably be watching a white homophobic evangelist on television. Yes, they have brains, but you see how people can become influenced by others and brainwashed with homophobia.

So keep in mind that our enemies are anyone who would look down on us, regardless of their color, ethnicity, social background, etc. But as a black gay man, the white homophobes scare me more than the black ones. Or maybe I should say homophobes in powerful positions, regardless of color, scare me more than anything.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 22, 2011 12:28:48 PM

6. Rat, stop being facetious you know you are talking out of your arse.

Who said Rome was a progressive country? And the woman was a frigging conservative MP,how dare SHE as a fellow woman and official stand by as her colleague is being belittle? Even I think if push came to shove even your evil witch Sarah Palin would not stand by and let a fellow female colleague be ABUSED publicly in the street because she is a Democrat. You nitwit.

Now, guys, there something called Google. It's your friend. It has ton of information about countries and how progressive they are.

Ahem. Italy NO. Not even Milan. Rome-NO. Very, very conservative and terribly backwards for a Western country. Just look at images of Naples and how they have still elected Burlusconi.

Blame the church? I do. It rules that place that is beautiful but breaking apart because it is so corrupt. You'd think it was eastern Europe.

If you are searching for liberal cities, try smaller ones and it's all based n ratio. I'm not site what Rat is drinking this fine day but there is no such thing as an 100% liberal city because ahem, we live in a capitalistic world that has no way of changing or stopping. So in that itself, the progressive fully for any frigging area in the world is redundant because capitalism and capitalists are just round the corner.

Furthermore, judeo Christianity is biggest force, along with Islam to have conquered pretty much every land in the world. Which means that these areas have been designed on a conservative fabric, in particular Christianity which was always the most conservative religion. Islam, well you saw how the Taliban has ruined all the ancient artifacts, plus buildings they deemed to raunchy and progressive.

So bearing both that in mind, can we pleae stop acting like children when it comes to an area that is supposed to be 'liberal' and gulp, has a hate crime. It's stupid. And it still ain't Texas, Arizona or the deep south or iowa or bits of California or Alaska etc etc etc

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 22, 2011 12:36:30 PM

7. I've visited much of Europe, but I won't go to Italy. I specifically avoid countries that are proudly homophobic.

There are nicer places and nicer people to see elsewhere.

Go to Spain! Finland, England, Netherlands, Germany, and many other more socially grown-up countries instead.

Posted by: TonyJ | Apr 22, 2011 12:41:59 PM

8. Mel Smith, I ignored your horrible, racist comments yesterday. But you promised to go to other websites instead, after blasting this one.

I have to assume that you are like Ratbastard---a troll who says ignorant things to upset other people.

I wish you would learn to speak with less hatred.

Posted by: TonyJ | Apr 22, 2011 12:43:52 PM

9. No different than what John Galliano did in Paris. Can this homophobe be arrested for the same "hate crime" in Italy? If this guy does not get demonized then John Galliano is being subjected to homophobic treatment as well.

Posted by: ewe | Apr 22, 2011 12:52:56 PM

10. We seem to be entering a time when more and more people are flippantly speaking about the holocaust like it's some topic had over lunch.

Posted by: ewe | Apr 22, 2011 12:55:26 PM

11. @Mel Smith,
    I ALWAYS criticize anti-gay activity, whoever says or does it. I strongly criticize the 'Man' who verbally attacked this women in this instance.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2011 12:57:10 PM

12. LOL........Rome has had COMMUNIST mayors! YES....it's 'Progressive'. And just currently does Italy have a righwing prime minister. It's had VERY leftist leaders in the past and has VERY active social democrat and communist political parties, so please spare me.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2011 1:02:21 PM

13. @Rowan,

'Concia said that of all the many passers-by on the via Campo Marzio near the Italian parliament, only one woman and a [conservative politician, Antonino Lo Presti], came to her and her partner's defence.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2011 1:04:39 PM

14. Mel Smith is no racist. He's criticized Black homophobes with just as much vehemence as he's criticized white ones. He's just disappointed in the level of racism he's discovered among White Gays on the Internet. (Pay them no mind, Mel, they aint worth it.)

You people (and I meant to say it that way) have created a new definition of racism. Racism involves believing that your race is superior to all others. That is very difficult frame of my for the vast majority of Black people to develop because of our history.

Now, maybe you really mean to say "bigot" when you say "racist". If that's the case then I still say that from reading his comments for the last 6 years Mel is no bigot either. BUT I AM... now. I never knew I could hate so much. But Andy doesn't allow profanity on his blog anymore, and so I shall say no more.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 22, 2011 1:05:35 PM

15. ignore the trolling of ratbastard, s/he doesn't know the difference between political parties and social philosophies. are we to believe communist russia was a progressive ideology? conservative attitudes permeate italian life AND politics.
    signed, an italian.

Posted by: mld | Apr 22, 2011 1:11:41 PM

16. i'm proud of this lady. and it looks like some italians aren't beyond their embarrassing fascist past...the way most germans seem to have at least acknowledged that their country f'd up bigtime.

i'm proud of this lady cuz my experience with italians and gay italy is that their biggest barrier to gay rights is that too many of em are not out. sorry, italian gay guys, but to get what u want for the future, u gotta come out already.

@TonyJ: wtf. what's ur problem. Let mel speak his mind. he's got some good points.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 22, 2011 1:15:28 PM

17. "My issue with black folks is the OBSCENE level of RANDOM violent crime young black males commit."

Yep, Rat, Black folks in general are the issue, aren't they? THe parents of Duval Patrick of Massachusetts ought to be ashamed of what they created. And thank God that First Lady aint raising a litte Barack Jr. Yep, no other issues involved except Black people's inability to raise children.

I hate to throw up in my office. Maybe I'll make it to the men's room.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 22, 2011 1:30:15 PM

18. y'know, the Catholic Papacy is the sole governing body in support of the Holocaust that still remains in power today.

And their influence is strongest in Italy. Go figure that these comments turn up near the Pope's Christianist turf.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 22, 2011 1:46:55 PM

19. Lord, the Italians can't have their own topic without it being hijacked by some homo n-word, but I'm not going to let that stop me.

Let ask you people who talk about "Black racism" or "Black racists". How exactly do Black racists show or manifest their racism:

"White guys can't run as fast, jump as high or play basketball"

"White people can't dance...except for ballet"

"White women don't have ample sized booties like Black women."

"White people's faces wrinkle faster than Blacks" (then stay out the damn sun, fool!)

Can you think of any thing else that Black people believe that would support the idea that Blacks are racially superior to Whites? Oh, yes, the above racist beliefs by Blacks are really dangerous aren't they?

Why, the above Black racist beliefs could damage White people for generations to come.

Although, I guess first we'd have to enslave y'all for about 300 years for the feelings of Black superiority to really sink in. And we'd have to make sure y'all forget how to read and write for generations. And make sure after you're free that the Yankee police officers whip your azzes every Friday night. That would be kind of difficult to accomplish. Nevermind.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 22, 2011 1:57:01 PM

20. of course...@MLD: Umm, did you forget that the Holocaust happened already? U say it like it's just an expression. Never forget, my friend.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 22, 2011 2:00:17 PM

21. As an Italian-Canadian, I am ashamed, horrified,and angry that this happened and few people cam to her aid. Overall, I have not been impressed with Italy's culture in visiting years ago. Sexist indeed, although I haven't seen any blatant homophobia while visiting.

Posted by: nikko | Apr 22, 2011 2:02:02 PM

22. Italy is not progressive. The "feel" of Italy is that of repression and a lack of openness. Anyone who says anything differently has no idea what Italian culture is like. Italian-American culture isn't overly progressive, and they aren't completely inundated with religion 24/7 as in Italy, so yeah, no. That's not to say there isn't a LOT of homosexuality under the surface. There is, and everyone knows it. It's kept under wraps. Most of the homophobia is due to sexism, which is a huge issue in Italy. Italian lesbians are actually condemned worse than gay men for these reasons. So let's not even try to turn this into a black issue (and we know who I'm talking about), since that has NOTHING to do with this story and Italian culture, and smells like a diversion tactic. Homophobia, sexism, bigotry in general is bigotry, it's wrong, and needs to be fought against.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 22, 2011 2:15:34 PM

23. Homosexuality is rampant in Italy, but it's very closeted. Italy is way behind the rest of Europe. Also, Italy has never been able to cut it's ties with its fascist past. I spent some time in Trieste with some relatives several years ago, and was taken aback while walking downtown to see a long stream of grafitti on a wall, one word repeated over and over, "Duce! Duce! Duce!" Some Italians just never learn.

Posted by: romeo | Apr 22, 2011 2:50:57 PM

24. Tony, I'm far from being a racist. Excuse me, did you actually read all my comments, or have you made up your mind that I am the angry black man??? I don't have a problem with someone correcting me when I'm wrong. You believe that my comments were racist, and some have corrected me. And I do apologize that my anger at homophobia came out the wrong way. Again, do you correct people of your ethnic or 'racial' group who make racist comments towards others of a different color?

If you call me a 'troll,' so be it. I don't have a problem discussing 'race' whenever I feel it's appropriate.

Read my writings on the other sites; Black homophoes hate my f@cking guts, and I have received death threats for defending the rights of gay and transgendered people. As a gay man, it is my duty to defend who I am.

Now if you still have a problem with me after all I just typed, you can kiss my as$.

If you respect my response, peace and best to you and everyone else. Respect me, I respect you. I can care less who you are, what you look like, or where you come from. Cool?

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 22, 2011 3:02:55 PM

25. "homo n-word"

That's me, darlins. I don't want anyone to think I was using a slur against anyone else.

Enjoy the weekend, my fellow Christian homos!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 22, 2011 3:17:38 PM