Barack Obama | Bill Maher | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Gay Marriage | News

Watch: Bill Maher Tells Obama That Since a Cheney, McCain, and Bush Support Same-Sex Marriage, It's His Turn

Maher

Bill Maher on Obama and marriage equality, television's role in changing attitudes toward gay people, Victoria Jackson, and the lack of backbone among Democrats.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via good as you)

Comments

1. Entertaining AND true!!! Well done Maher!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 4, 2011 9:05:30 AM

2. And he's not jumping on the bandwagon either. Maher has been outspoken about gay marriage since the 90s

Posted by: Alex | Apr 4, 2011 9:17:40 AM

3. as someone who supported Obama in 2008, and Yes - under the presumption that all the HOPES he talked about would come true ( damm was I hood-winked) ...I only make 33k a yr....and I sent him $200 ...this time I may send $25, cause no matter what us - little people- do - he'll do whatever his corporate masters tell him to do.....and unfortunately he's the LESSER of 2 evils, and Id NEVER Vote GOP, EVER! ...Maybe AFTER ( and hopefully he wins re-election) he'll come out IN FAVOR of Marriage Equality, and as Par for the Course, it will be Politically EASIER then for him (then it would be now,B4 the election)

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 4, 2011 9:29:10 AM

4. I just have to keep reminding myself about how scary GOP Supreme Court justices are, and that his center-right incrementalism is better than craziness from the other side.

I'll do my part in this... meaning likely vote for him... but with about as much enthusiasm as voting for a bond measure or a local judge. Yay!

Posted by: tranquilo | Apr 4, 2011 10:19:29 AM

5. Thanks to Obama, I'm never voting for anyone for any office ever again who doesn't believe I'm their equal. The end.

At this point, I'm supporting Fred Karger for President.

Posted by: ohplease | Apr 4, 2011 10:31:01 AM

6. Of course, I wish that Obama would support gay marriage. But Maher's logic is hardly airtight. He is basically saying that
    1) because the daughters of some elected officials support it, Obama himself should (by that token, Maher should be criticizing Malia and Sasha for not speaking up instead, which would be ridiculous); and
    2) Obama should support it now because polls say more people are in favor of it. But back when polls said that people were *not* in favor of gay marriage, being against it was still wrong--just like it was wrong to be against interracial marriage when it was decriminalized in 1967, even though the vast majority of Americans were still against it then.

Sometimes I think Bill Maher is too pleased with the sound of his own voice to be able to hear what he's actually saying.

Posted by: Thomasina | Apr 4, 2011 10:45:11 AM

7. Re-winning Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, Florida and maybe...just maybe Indiana--the President must listen to his campaign staff and not antagonize the religious right-wing. You people can complain all you want to. Do like OHPLEASE and go vote for the Republican homosexual.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 4, 2011 10:56:05 AM

8. @Thomisina

I think you're missing the whole point of what he was saying. 1. That was a joke. and 2. He's saying that Obama should have supported it all along, hence why he would like to say Democratic Leadership stood up for it, which they clearly didn't. In citing the poll he is just merely pointing out the even further absurdity of opposing something that the majority of Americans now support.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 4, 2011 11:11:07 AM

9. It is about Supreme Court nominations, not gay marriage in my book.

All of the Republicans listed for gay marriage - are out of power and not up for election.

Posted by: reality 101 | Apr 4, 2011 11:49:25 AM

10. He's being intentionally provocative.

Posted by: anon | Apr 4, 2011 12:05:37 PM

11. It makes no sense to me to refer to Cheney (or any other politician) as being "in favor" of something just because he has said that he doesn't want to change the federal Constitution to ban it and thinks it should be decided state-by-state.

Imagine any other issue being framed in such terms:

Bush announces he wants to change the Constitution to ban Mormon temples. Cheney says "freedom means freedom for everybody" and that the national Constitution shouldn't be changed, but states could vote to ban Mormon temples if they want to.

Would we then characterize Cheney as being "pro-Mormon?"

I don't think we would. I'm not in favor of changing the Constitution to ban Republicans, nor of even having state-by-state referendums on banning them. That doesn't mean I'm "pro-Republican." I just believe in living in a free country.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 4, 2011 12:27:03 PM

12. Ditto what REALITY 101 says. Scalia and Thomas are evil little men who will continue to spread their feces over us for years to come.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 4, 2011 3:50:59 PM

13. Dick Cheney does not SUPPORT same-sex marriage. He opposed a FEDERAL constitutional amendment and thought the states should be able to pass state CONSTITUTIONAL amendments and, if his state did, he would have voted to ban recognition or our relationships.

Posted by: BobN | Apr 4, 2011 5:45:17 PM

14. Where does Maher get off posing as a friend of LGBTQ rights? His schtick is full of tired old gay jokes circa Milton Berle. I'll never forget his snickering at Ross "The Intern' Mathews during a guest appearance on Leno's Tonight Show.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 4, 2011 6:51:12 PM

15. Bill Maher rocks...he's been an ally and supporter of what is RIGHT...and that is treating tax paying citizens with respect and equal rights under the law. Not creating a class system where you pick and choose who attains what rights via legislation. Bill Maher gets it and has gotten it for ages and I applaud him for his continued stance and voice in favor of equality for all. It means a great deal to many of us.

Posted by: Dynex | Apr 4, 2011 10:45:36 PM

16. Bill Maher and Curb' are the only reasons to keep HBO. His show sometimes has a great hour where you really can have your mind expanded with smart and witty commentary from the panel.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 4, 2011 11:59:12 PM