Apple | Beyoncé | Britney Spears | Bullying | Chris Evans | Gabrielle Giffords | Larry Kramer | News | Nigeria | Photography | West Virginia

News: Chris Evans, Kelly McGillis, Nigeria, iPhone

road A NYC Maternity shop gave lesbian customers a 10 percent discount yesterday: “Women make 77 cents on the dollar still. When two women are leading a household, they’re not making as much money as a married couple.”

Ce  road Chris Evans films more scenes as Captain America

road Kelly McGillis on her public coming out: "Fundamentally, I was just tired of lying about who I am. I’ve reached a point where my kids are grown, they’re out of the house, they no longer have to be concerned that their friends, their friends’ families, will put them in compromising emotional situations because of my sexual preference. That was a big concern of mine because, unfortunately, a lot of people are not very tolerant. I got to a certain age and I didn’t give a s— anymore.

road Gabrielle Giffords' condition is improving.

road One of the things that helped build the case against a student charged in the Tyler Clementi case was his deletion of posts on Twitter: "It can help demonstrate that your virtual behavior, online activities, are just as important, if not more so, than everything you do in your everyday life."

road Listen: Britney Spears‘ "Till The World Ends" official remix.

road First AT&T, then Verizon. Now the iPhone might be now be on its way to T-Mobile.

Nigeria  road Openly gay Reverend Rowland Jide Macaulay to re-open House of Rainbow, the only gay church in Nigeria: "Religion is a backbone to life in Nigeria, so we all want to go to church," he says. "But we don't want to lie to God about who we are."

road Art: Photographing the deaths of televisions.

road This is how one resident of Brooklyn's Columbia Street Waterfront District describes his neighborhood, which has the highest concentration of same-sex households in NYC: "(it) is not the epicenter of gay culture.”

road Beyoncé strikes a pose in Paris.

road LGBT group Fairness West Virginia hires its first staff member.

road Former Sony chairman Norio Ohga, who helped develop the CD, has died.

road Larry Kramer on the current generation of gays: I don't know why so many gay men don't want to know their history. I don't know why they turned their back on the older generation as if they don't want to have anything to do with them. I would like us to get beyond that."

Comments

1. "sexual preference"?!? Oh Kelly. You still have a long ways to go.

Posted by: CRISPY | Apr 24, 2011 6:31:42 PM

2. And Larry Kramer is surprised? 1. Many young people don't appreciate wisdom; 2. Gay history is still largely hidden

Posted by: David R. | Apr 24, 2011 7:27:29 PM

3. Chris Evans looks like he's wearing Nicolas Cage's toupee.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 24, 2011 8:12:39 PM

4. Chris Evans looks horrible - how did they manage that?

Posted by: nelson2 | Apr 24, 2011 9:54:09 PM

5. "Larry Kramer on the current generation of gays: I don't know why so many gay men don't want to know their history. I don't know why they turned their back on the older generation as if they don't want to have anything to do with them. I would like us to get beyond that."

While there is a problem with gay people forgetting our history, Larry's hectoring and condescending "my generation did everything better than you" does nothing to help. He always complains about this, and yet doesn't realize that people are turned of by condscending lectures about things they don't have first-hand experiences with.

Posted by: missanthrope | Apr 24, 2011 10:45:34 PM

6. Let the young have their place in the sun - to make mistakes and to be ignorant of the past. Eventually, they will be wiser and more reflective of what came before, but then it will be time to give another generation it's shot. That's life, Mr. Kramer.

Posted by: nelson2 | Apr 24, 2011 10:56:29 PM

7. You can ask that same tired question over and over until your face turns blue. There is a completely logical, and cultural explanation for why gay people do not recognize their gay past. Being gay isn't "inherited."

Unlike a particular racial, gender, or even religious group we are not born into homes and communities that are gay. We are born into a predominately straight society, most likely to heterosexual parents. Where children of certain racial or religious groups are taught history from parents or exposed to unavoidable discrimination from childhood, the gay experience varies so drastically from person to person.

You can't simply bark at the younger generation of lgbt to learn how they received their civil rights when they realize their sexuality at varying times and society itself reserves even the tamest gay subject matter as "mature" or "adult". The best you can do is to promote recognition in education, and spread awareness. When you compare the idea of an open, visible gay culture to any other group throughout history we are just a blip.

Posted by: Toto | Apr 25, 2011 12:16:16 AM

8. "I don't know why so many gay men don't want to know their history..."

Oh _Larry_...  It's not all about you.  Equating a minimal in history with anyone's  sexual identity is ridiculous.  Straight or gay, history has always been primarily a preoccupation of people in the second half of life.   Like it or not, young people tend to be more concerned with what's ahead them.  As they should be:  it takes most of us several decades to learn to look backwards without being run over by oncoming events.

I'm isolated at 52, but don't blame younger men for not wanting to deal with my enduring grief, PTSD issues, or marginal health.  It's no one's fault that most of my generation is dead and that those of us who survived are damaged.   What good purpose would be served by inflicting my endless tales of helping those I loved die on another generation?  We're hardly the first culture to be lost to a plague; I doubt we'll be the last.

No one wants to cry over snapshots of my dead friends or see candid photos of me covered with lesions at 6'3" and 140 lbs.  On days when I can't help myself, I show them to my cat.   It's bad enough I can't get our history out of my head; I don't blame anyone for not wanting to share it.

Of course Larry's shrilling about being left out has been going on since the earth cooled. I suspect it has far more to do with getting chosen last for basketball than it does younger gay men.  Come to think of it, if he would just talk about being chosen last for basketball he find he has more in common with the younger generation than he imagines.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 25, 2011 12:16:44 AM

9. Thanks to Ehrenstein, I was turned on to Lillian Federman & her book on the history of the fight for equality in California. That fight started decades before Stonewall.
    A dry read but illuminating none the less

Posted by: pat | Apr 25, 2011 4:43:15 AM

10. Hey Bryan: Thanks for sharing your story. It is sad to realize the scourge of AIDS has caused so much pain. Please keep reaching out--volunteer at your local animal shelter or community center. Good luck to you and your cat. PS: I always get a kick out of watching videos of pets (like funniest cat ones). Maybe you can post a video of yours? Take care.

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Two | Apr 25, 2011 7:06:16 AM

11. I'm actually in Federman & Stuart Timmons' book, "Gay LA"! Very proud of that, obviously. Lillian and Stuart are excellent scholars and charming people.

Posted by: justme | Apr 25, 2011 7:07:02 AM