2012 Election | Barack Obama | Democratic Party | News

Video: President Obama Kicks Off Reelection Campaign

2012_obama

President Obama kicked off his reelection campaign today via Facebook, twitter, and an email video to supporters.

Read the email:

Today, we are filing papers to launch our 2012 campaign.

We're doing this now because the politics we believe in does not start with expensive TV ads or extravaganzas, but with you -- with people organizing block-by-block, talking to neighbors, co-workers, and friends. And that kind of campaign takes time to build.

So even though I'm focused on the job you elected me to do, and the race may not reach full speed for a year or more, the work of laying the foundation for our campaign must start today.

We've always known that lasting change wouldn't come quickly or easily. It never does. But as my administration and folks across the country fight to protect the progress we've made -- and make more -- we also need to begin mobilizing for 2012, long before the time comes for me to begin campaigning in earnest.

As we take this step, I'd like to share a video that features some folks like you who are helping to lead the way on this journey.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

ABC News reported: "Some believe that Obama, who has a true knack for raising election money, may cross the threshold and could become the first $1 billion presidential candidate. During his 2008 election campaign, Obama managed to raise a whopping $750 million."

TechCrunch notes that Facebook is front and center in the strategy:

"When you connect to your Facebook account on the campaign website, an interactive banner will appear on the top of the campaign website that shows you which of your friends aren’t “in” yet, profile pictures included. You’re invited to put post a message to your friends’ walls to prompt them to join the ‘Are You In?’ application. You can easily scroll to your friend list by skipping from one to the next, and you can add an optional message when you opt to post to a friend’s wall."

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Pretty uninspiring.

Posted by: Name: | Apr 4, 2011 6:53:06 AM

2. So, how bad is it that I'm going to vote for the DINO Presidential Candidate based solely on the fact that he's not a psychopath, which is what the Republicans will field.

I am so disappointed by the total lack of Change.

Posted by: yuninv | Apr 4, 2011 7:43:54 AM

3. Dear President Obama,

I know this is going to sound like I'm nit-picking, but PLEASE quit using the word "folks". It's not 1945 and we're not sitting in front of a pot belly stove in our overalls listening to you on the radio.

People, individuals, group, citizens... but NOT folks.

Thank you.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 4, 2011 7:45:20 AM

4. GREAT politician - Great leader? not so much.

Posted by: Mark | Apr 4, 2011 7:56:51 AM

5. @YUNINV
    I'm disappointed in several STATES who have either denied us marriage equality or imposed preemptive restrictions on it, but federally speaking (where it will count most in the long run), the LGBT community is in a better situation today than it has ever been in this country.

Do you think DADT would be on its way out right now if we'd had a republican president these past two and a half years? Would there have been dozens of gay and lesbian appointments to high office and on federal benches? Would the Matthew Sheppard Act have been passed? Would there now be a path paved towards the repeal of DOMA?

It's been less than 3 years and we've already seen some fantastic steps for LGBT rights and protections -- EVEN in the face of an economy and wars abroad that other presidents would likely have used as an excuse for total inaction on social issues.

I will vote for Obama again. Change IS slow, but if he can facilitate as much progress for LGBT citizens in a second term as he will have done by the end of his first, I foresee a time in the near future when our most fundamental rights will no longer be dictated by state lines.

My disappointment in Obama thus far has been the lengths he goes to compromise with republicans on budget and health care issues. But I shudder to think what would happen with another republican in the white house anytime soon, given the combined voice of teabaggers and evangelicals... within two years we'd have an even longer list of anti-gay laws and constitutional amendments to work against.

Posted by: sparks | Apr 4, 2011 8:11:49 AM

6. He is screwing with the base such as trying to file charges with the get equal people.

He is screwing with the base as making the lives of bi-national partners miserable.

Posted by: Matt Munson | Apr 4, 2011 8:20:37 AM

7. I will reluctantly vote for him because the alternatives will be much worse. However, Obama has disappointed on almost every level. Won't much enthusiastic flag waving and campaigning from this corner.

Posted by: John | Apr 4, 2011 8:34:33 AM

8. I will try to make myself vote for him. I guess.

At worst, I will abstain. I certainly won't vote for a Republican.

Posted by: Folk | Apr 4, 2011 8:40:15 AM

9. Everybody now: Hold your nose and vote!

The alternative is to be disenfranchised for another 8 years.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 4, 2011 8:48:27 AM

10. To the commenters who 'will vote for him anyway' please understand Obama and the other dims already know that; your vote is taken for granted. This announcement isn't to get your vote, it's to get your MONEY. Let Obama and the dims know they won't get your money this time because they're too damned timid (and/or cynically playing politics with our lives). Money is their drug and they need another fix, and you're the enabler they're counting upon to give it to them one more time.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Apr 4, 2011 9:12:21 AM

11. @Johnny

Yeah, that grates on my nerves too.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Apr 4, 2011 9:15:37 AM

12. I wonder if Goldman Sachs will be his top corporate donor again? It sure paid off last time.

Posted by: PeteS | Apr 4, 2011 9:30:55 AM

13. folk

a non-vote/abstaining to vote is a vote

a vote of support for repubs

proof of point 2010. All polls show the repub sweep was due to people not voting (particularly registered dems not voting at all

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 4, 2011 9:45:41 AM

14. I get annoyed when he seemd so willing to compromise with unreasonable Republicans as well. But overall, when I look at the accomplishments made over these past 2 and a half years, I'm actually impressed. He's gotten more done than any President in a long time. And between adding Kagan and Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, ending DADT, and ending the gov's defense of DOMA, he's more for LGBT rights than I even expected.

Plus, he biggest disaster I can imagine for our equality is having a Republican appoint the successors to Ginsberg or Kennedy on the Supreme Court.

Posted by: George | Apr 4, 2011 10:03:09 AM

15. He's got my vote!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 4, 2011 10:14:12 AM

16. Nope sorry Obama...when you're ok with Gay Marriage I will give you my vote but so far ...you are the republicans' whore.

Posted by: Bosie | Apr 4, 2011 11:09:06 AM

17. I will vote for Obama again because even though he made a lot of good change happen for gay Americans and took forever on most issues, he still did a lot for us. Hate crimes bill, and gays in the military, and Anti bullying legislation were huge hurdles. I think about this a lot. The fact that it took a long time for the change to happen but it still happened and is happening. So even though he's working slow he is working and things have gotten better a great deal as far as gay issues are concerned.

Posted by: Ken | Apr 4, 2011 12:00:56 PM

18. Without Nancy Pelosi he veers towards the safe middle.

Posted by: anon | Apr 4, 2011 12:07:44 PM

19. then bosie just stamp ur ass REPUB whore

2010 repub sweep was due to people not voting not repubs selling a whining argument

Don't vote and just deliver more power to the repubs

A non vote is a vote of support for the status quo/ repubs

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 4, 2011 12:53:50 PM

20. Ken, I'd like to toss the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act on that list. For those who didn't think it was important two years ago, it certainly seems like a big deal in light of Walmart's sex discrimination case now being taken to the US Supreme Court.

Obama was slow, but very productive. He's gotten a ton of stuff done - even if you disagree with some of them. I'm not 100% on board with his Healthcare Reform, but I admit that so far the parts that have been implemented are better than what we had 2 years ago. And I'm completely torn about the Libya situation.

Being politically center-left myself, it doesn't bother me if Obama takes that position - so long as he stays mostly left on civil rights. Already, that's much better than the current GOP alternatives.

Posted by: Damien | Apr 4, 2011 2:46:42 PM

21. Oh yeah, Obama 2012. While the rest of you are busy siphoning votes for anti-gay teabaggers because you're mad the political process isn't giving you every last thing you wanted, I'm going to help our last line of defense get re-elected.

Posted by: Jake Orlando | Apr 4, 2011 3:24:28 PM

22. A- Its good the video is unispiring right now. Obama is still President, and this is more of a fundraising launch than a campaigning launch.

B- Obama has done more for gay rights than any other President in history.

C- If any of you want to see Prop 8 overturned, DOMA overturned, or have any amount of judicial success in the next decade you better vote for Obama because we have a slew of aging justices on the court (Kennedy, Ginsberg, Scalia) than may retire soon.

Posted by: Damen | Apr 4, 2011 3:33:30 PM

23. If you, like me, aren't stoked about voting for Obama again, and there probably won't be a Republican candidate that you support, VOTE THIRD PARTY! With the two party system, it will always be a gridlocked back-and-forth between the right and left intent on undoing the previous administration and fomenting partisan rancor. Vote Libertarian or Green or Constitution or Whig or Socialist or Centrist or Prohibition or Whatever You Please. Just vote for someone that espouses your views, not a shell filled with ideology without the ears to hear his or her constituents' will.

Posted by: David | Apr 4, 2011 3:52:29 PM

24. Nixon, Reagan, Papa Bush and Baby Bush.

The above demons remind me that I will vote Democrat for the rest of my life.

Oh, I left out Gerald Ford because he was a good guy...not much else, but a good guy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 4, 2011 4:05:34 PM

25. Everyone following Towleroad should be actively supporting the President's re-election. If you're not griping or you're dwelling in self-involved despair or shooting yourself in the foot supporting anyone else. No other politician has done more to advance LGBT justice. Change takes time. The man is taking the country in the right direction. It may not be good enough or fast enough for you, but ask yourself- what have you done to move the ball forward? The campaign needs grass roots support. Enough bitching, make it happen.

Posted by: dc10001 | Apr 4, 2011 7:44:29 PM