News | Television

Watch: 'Facts of Life' Cast Reunites

Factsoflife

Part of Charlotte Rae's speech at the TV Land awards caused me to pay attention until I realized what she meant: "I tell you, I'm so proud of my girls. They all turned out to be straight! Straight!"

Like TV Squad, we're sure that Mrs. Garrett meant "straight" in character, but given the predominant use of that term these days, it was sure odd to hear, particularly as her speech was followed by the recently-out Geri Jewell.

Jewell's speech was the most touching: "When I was a kid, I was made fun of a lot and ridiculed. I wanted to be an actress, I wanted to be a comedienne. And they cast me in this wonderful show, 'Facts of Life,' and it was the first time in my life that kids weren't afraid of me when they saw me, but they wanted my autograph."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Amazing, but where's George Clooney?

Posted by: maxx40 | Apr 18, 2011 9:15:42 AM

2. everyone looks great.

Posted by: jgm22 | Apr 18, 2011 9:34:08 AM

3. Tootie!

Posted by: Ioann | Apr 18, 2011 9:35:31 AM

4. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but the TV LAND awards were created and are produced by openly gay producer Michael Levitt.

Posted by: Brent | Apr 18, 2011 9:38:51 AM

5. Fabulous. And I'm sure her "straight" comment was just in jest towards the rumors of character lesbianism on the show. :) I love me some Charlotte Rae.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 18, 2011 9:42:27 AM

6. Remember that Rae also worked on Diff'rent Strokes. The kids on that show didn't do so well. No doubt she's thrilled that all her "girls" have grown up "straight". She could have picked a better word but considering the track record of child stars from the 80s, it's pretty amazing that this cast fared so well from then to now.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Apr 18, 2011 10:06:33 AM

7. Meredith Baxter had a nice comeback to that:

Posted by: Steve | Apr 18, 2011 10:14:24 AM

8. Whattya mean "She could have picked a better word?" What an asinine remark.

"Straight" has meant true, direct, honest, exhibiting no deviation from what is established or accepted as usual, normal, or proper much longer (1520's) than it has meant heterosexual (1941).

It's bad enough gay can't mean just happy anymore.

Charlotte Rae is old school. She meant well. Leave her alone. :)

Posted by: jeff in brooklyn | Apr 18, 2011 11:29:05 AM

9. She wasn't referring to sexuality.

Posted by: John | Apr 18, 2011 7:44:54 PM

10. Having personally known Ms Rae back in the day I can assure you she is as kind, generous and warm as her character on "The Facts of Life'. The woman is the epitome of class.

Posted by: Esteban | Apr 18, 2011 10:51:18 PM

11. Sorry, there is no way the woman is anti gay, on of her best friends was Paul Lynde. You cant get much more gay friendly than that.

Posted by: Don | Apr 19, 2011 9:45:57 AM