Gay Stories | I'm from Driftwood | Lance Black | LGBT Stories | Mormon | Nathan Manske | News

BigGayDeal.com

LGBT Stories: Dustin Lance Black Comes Out To College Roommate With Manuscript And Bar Of Soap

Dustin Lance Black TR

NATHAN MANSKE

Guestblogger Nathan Manske and Marquise Lee embarked on a 4 month, 50 state tour of the United States collecting stories for their I'm From Driftwood site. We'll be sharing some of the stories they collected along with some of the insight into what they saw. They're still encouraging people to submit their written stories via IFD. You can follow them on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Driftwood “Milk” was what inspired me to create “I’m From Driftwood” so meeting the film’s screenwriter, Dustin Lance Black, was both meaningful and exciting. He was kind enough to show me some artifacts that belonged to Harvey Milk, which he was soon going to donate to a museum or archive. One item was a funny hand-written note from Harvey to a local politician he had met the night before, which said something along the lines of, “Had fun last night. Not in that way! -Harvey”. Anyway, I was half expecting Dustin to talk about “Milk” or winning his Oscar but he surprised me by telling a funny but still personal and meaningful story I hadn’t previously heard from him.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently in this series...
A Lesbian Finds Relief and Community in the 1970s [tr]
Gay Teen's Father Says Discussion with Bullies Put End to Harassment [tr]
Gay Wasilla Teen Met with Religious Fanatics at School, Support at Home [tr]
Lexington Mayor Jim Gray on Coming Out to the Media [tr]
Reflecting on a Father's Pride, a Grandmother's Fears [tr]

Comments

1. I've heard that a few times when one gay friend comes out to the other but the other who is gays stays in the closet!

Very interesting.

I guess it continues to explain how coming out is very personal,insular and very much about you.

It's like you don't mind other people being gay but you still have an issue with yourself being gay.

Posted by: Rowan | May 24, 2011 3:40:08 PM

2. Where's the link to St. Dustin's bareback pic portfolio??

Posted by: Nunya Bizness | May 24, 2011 4:02:30 PM

3. "I made up for lost time pretty quickly after that."

That seems to be almost universal, where gay guys come out and go through a slutty phase. It seems like the older guys are when they come out (up to, say, 30), the longer and more extreme that phase is. I came out when I was 13, so I had few opportunities...but that was part of the reason I finished high school early and when to college in a major city when I was 16!

Still, what I did hardly compares with the activities of some guys I've known. Unfortunately, many have gotten hurt---emotionally or in terms of STDs---because they didn't know how to navigate the gay world (not that anyone is perfect at it). And for some reason there seems to be a type of guy (rare, but there) who delights in screwing over newly out guys, leading the newbies to think all gay men are scum. It's as though because they were hurt once, they want to make sure others get hurt too. But who knows, maybe I've just witnessed an unusual number of anecdotal experiences along those lines.

Posted by: Paul R | May 24, 2011 4:09:06 PM

4. Nunya,

God you are so tedious.

Posted by: Rowan | May 24, 2011 4:23:37 PM

5. I think dlb would be my dream bf.

Posted by: Trip | May 24, 2011 5:20:23 PM

6. I'm seething with red hot jealousy

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jun 2, 2011 4:51:44 PM

7. While this subject can be very touchy for most people, my opinion is that there has to be a middle or common ground that we all can find.

Posted by: Pandora UK | Aug 10, 2011 9:39:28 PM