Comments

1. Frederick says

My advice to this couple is don’t give up. In 2003 my partner and I had a major house fire where we lost a dear pet and most of our belongings. The insurance company tried to do the same thing (claim we set the fire), even though the fire investigator ruled it was due to faulty wiring. We had to hire an attorney and fight with them for every nickel and dime of the policy. However, we never gave up and eventually the insurance company had no choice but to honor the policy.

2. Jerry says

Frederick

Sorry to hear about your challenge and glad you had the fortitude to stand up. I suspect that the insurance Company , like many, don’t expect Gay Folks to follow through or take a stand.

In this case, what grounds does the Insurance company or proof not to settle this claim? I guess that is part of the game. The burden of proof always seems to be higher for LGBT folks.

3. ratbastard says

$880,000[!]

I’m no friend of insurance companies, but they undoubtedly have evidence that points to arson and insurance fraud.

Why are police still investigating? This is not a good sign for the two women.

I remember hearing about this last fall, and honestly my first thought was arson and insurance fraud.

4. Paul R says

So that’s three of us who think PFLAG either went out too far on a limb in providing support or knows way more to the story than we do, because based on the pictures there’s no way that place was worth $880K (again: rural Kentucky) unless they were storing incredibly valuable objects inside.

Which perhaps they were, but that should be part of the story. Insurance companies usually settle much faster than this, and insurance companies don’t pay for emotional distress.

5. Nosey says

what the? Of course a house and all its contents can easily be worth $880,000. Do you not know how to use a calculator? Yes their was arson involved… but that doesn’t mean the owner did it.

6. ratbastard says

Vonore,Tennessee:

*The median income for a household in the town was $34,653, and the median income for a family was $41,125. Males had a median income of $31,429 versus $25,956 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,613. About 6.1% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.6% of those under age 18 and 13.2% of those age 65 or over.

Demographics:

*There were 1,162 people, 496 households, and 333 families residing in the town. The population density was 133.6 people per square mile (51.6/km²). There were 571 housing units at an average density of 65.6 per square mile (25.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.52% White, 0.17% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.69% from other races, and 3.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.58% of the population…..[Vonore celebrates diversity]

———800,000.+ sounds excessive

7. ratbastard says

Jerry said:

‘ I suspect that the insurance Company , like many, don’t expect Gay Folks to follow through or take a stand.’

===============

Sorry, that’s an odd statement to make. Why wouldn’t gay folks ‘follow through’, and why wouldn’t insurance companies expect gays to follow through? If anything, they’d be afraid of lawsuits, including civil rights lawsuits.

8. David says

Sorry – I am a queer and a claims adjuster and that house is not worth $880,000. Not in that area – not for that house. Some of you folks don’t know anything about real estate and if you think that house is worth $880K I have a bridge to sell you.

9. james says

But…but…what about all the Whorhal & Picasso….I’m sure the Cayan was smoke damaged in the garage…….. Uh…let me pull out my calculator. I certainly know how to use one…..

10. BGKev says

Typically there’s the issue of the house, plus the contents, plus any additional living expenses during rebuilding. So the claim for a total loss can easily be over double the actual building value, especially if things need to be brought up to code(which is an additional coverage). $880k still sounds high, but that could reflect their suing the company for bad faith as well.