2012 Election | News | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Listen: Rick Santorum Claims He's Not a 'Big Homophobe'

Santorum

Rick Santorum has compared same-sex marriage to bestiality, has said that it's "common sense" to keep gays from marrying and adopting children, wants to reinstate the ban on gays in the military, and has said that gays shouldn't have the "privilege of government benefits" offered to heterosexual couples, yet in response to a remark made by Joy Behar during her interview with Don Lemon, Santorum claims he's not a homophobe.

Frothymix Says Santorum:

I guess because you stand for traditional marriage and you believe that, you know, that people should, we should have a society that affirms one man and one woman as marriage, that makes you someone who’s a hater, someone that doesn’t, doesn’t like people. I disagree with people, by the way, who are gay and straight who believe in changing the marriage laws. But it’s a public policy discussion, and this is the, this is really the problem that we see on the left which is the personalization of politics. I mean, we have a policy disagreement, and, and which I am very passionate about. I admit that. Because I do believe the family, integrity of the family is important for the future of our country. But that does not mean that, that I don’t like people or I hate people or that there’s something wrong. The only thing that’s wrong is their opinion.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Uh Rick, FYI, an opinion, by the definition of the word, can never be wrong. Just another reason for us to conclude that you are a simple-minded idiot.

Posted by: Jack M | May 19, 2011 10:49:17 AM

2. Sorry, but when you discriminate against me, I take it personally. Go figure…

Posted by: GusII | May 19, 2011 10:50:39 AM

3. Dear Mr. Santorum. You are a homophobe. The fact that you don't think you are homophobic, doesn't stop you from being one. It just means that you can't see that your actions are hurtful, hateful and the cause of great unhappiness for a lot of men and women.

Posted by: Matthew Lang | May 19, 2011 10:57:04 AM

4. LOL. What a d-bag.

Posted by: Ted | May 19, 2011 11:10:08 AM

5. Photo caption: "Hey you guys, did I get any santorum on my chin?"

Posted by: nodnarb | May 19, 2011 11:16:36 AM

6. He's right. The actual term is "Big fuckin' dumbass homophobe. By the way, how is the frothy mix going dumbass?

Posted by: Matthew | May 19, 2011 11:20:31 AM

7. He truly is dumber than a rock. Politics are personal, Rick. Otherwise, they would just be politics, and pointless. Civil rights are personal, Mr. Frothy Mix, particularly to those who are denied them. As if the right's singling out of gay citizens to satisfy their blind bigotry, religious zealotry, and general ignorance isn't the personalization of politics.

Posted by: Ernie | May 19, 2011 11:29:46 AM

8. don't "hate my sin", just shut up.

Posted by: doug | May 19, 2011 11:31:17 AM

9. Rick, it is entirely possible to deeply love someone and also have a prejudiced view about their rights.

Look back at 1919, when most men (and many women) in this country did not believe that women should have the right to vote. Most of these men had mothers, wives, sisters, and daughters who they loved and valued and respected. And yet, they still didn't believe that women should have equal rights. They pointed to the religious and social traditions of almost every major civilization on Earth throughout history as their justification.

It happens all the time, Rick.

Posted by: Yeek | May 19, 2011 11:35:51 AM

10. We're not supposed to take this personally? How else should I take an attack on my private life. He is restricting my rights, rights that everybody else takes for granted, and I'm not supposed to take it personally? I'd love to kick him in the nuts and tell him not to take it personally!

Posted by: David | May 19, 2011 11:37:37 AM

11. His attempt to dehumanise his political stance is horrific. His absolute lack of understanding of the fact that these policies affect 'people', just go to prove that he doesn't deem lgbt people to be human. This man would make a terrifying leader of any kind. Vile.

Posted by: paul | May 19, 2011 11:38:28 AM

12. STFU ricky-
    you are toast

Posted by: nick | May 19, 2011 11:41:06 AM

13. Dear Rick:

I don't hate you either. Not do I wish that all of you Christians would commit mass suicide on May 21. This is just a policy disagreement. There. Just saying it makes it true.

Posted by: Chadd | May 19, 2011 11:47:00 AM

14. @Chadd

Maybe this Christian ought to commit suicide, too, instead of campaigning for gay rights, counseling gay teens, and giving money to no hate campaigns?

All this eye for an eye, lumping people into groups thing really makes for a kinder, better world filled with people that want to help each other.

Can't wait to write out that check to Equality Virginia this month!

Posted by: Rin | May 19, 2011 12:05:04 PM

15. I've tried to explain to people for years that being gay is not an "issue" that can be argued. We're people, not an issue or a lifestyle. Being against tax cuts or for gun rights, or for teaching creationism, or whatever are issues that can be argued. But people like Santorum do not see the distinction. Which is why we see and hear such appalling nastiness from these people who claim to "love" us.

I think that cognitive dissonance is so deeply ingrained in people like Santorum, that he really believes that he's not a "hater."

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | May 19, 2011 12:17:48 PM

16. @Rin

I should have said "all of you Christians of Rick's variety" which is what I meant rather than a general lumping together.

However, if it weren't for Christians in this country, campaigning for gay rights, counseling gay teens and giving money to no hate campaigns would likely not be necessary.

Posted by: Chadd | May 19, 2011 12:24:56 PM

17. At one time racial segregation was a "valid" public policy discussion but no more....

In the same way, equality for gay and lesbian Americans is no longer a "valid" public policy discussion. You are a bigot, plain and simple. The only basis for such discrimination is animus, period!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2011 12:47:48 PM

18. @Rin, instead of being mad at gay people for pointing out the obvious, how about you be mad at all the "christians" who are actually causing the harm?

Why are you with these people, anyway? All organized religion is evil because there are no "gods". You're a good person because you're a good person, and that's in spite of -- not because of -- what you believe.

Posted by: ohplease | May 19, 2011 12:59:00 PM

19. A political opportunist that likes to egg-on and identify with the biases of potential voters. True lowest common denominator stuff. Meanwhile, his Senate chief of staff was gay.

Posted by: anon | May 19, 2011 1:00:42 PM

20. I believe in the "integrity of family"..you mean like my family..my partner and I have been together for twenty years? Or do mean Newt's family??? Sorry..."families"..it is plural in his case..

Posted by: Jim-Cleveland | May 19, 2011 1:59:30 PM

21. That's true, he's not a big homophobe: He is a bigger than big homophobe.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | May 19, 2011 2:14:56 PM

22. Dear Rick,
    F**k off into the obscurity where you belong.
    We don't want another self-promotion tour of your bigotry.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 19, 2011 2:20:21 PM

23. Homophobes do not realize they are homophobic just as racists do not realize they are racist.

Posted by: peterparker | May 19, 2011 2:53:35 PM

24. Why? Because I refuse to allow a-holes to hijack my beliefs. The US Government has done terrible things to third world nations, put up puppet governments, invaded sovereign nations, etc. I haven't moved from the United States because if I do, if I give up I have ceded all positivity to evil.

I'd rather be an example of what Christians could be than just give up. The philosophy in the Gospels, the love and forgiveness does not change just because some jerk decides to hide behind it and ignore its positive, loving message.

I'm also not going to give up on supporting gay rights because a few people on Towleroad annoy me.

I am true to myself, my beliefs, and what is right. Gay equality is right...even if a lot of you don't like me because I'm a Christian or live in the South.

I'll keep pushing for what is good.

Posted by: Rin | May 19, 2011 4:25:47 PM

25. he's right ... he's not that big.

Posted by: SFRowGuy | May 19, 2011 8:25:19 PM