Gay Marriage | New York | Sean Avery | Sports

Sean Avery Discusses His Support For Marriage Equality

Nyrangers
In a newly published article, The New York Times interviews New York Rangers forward and former Vogue intern Sean Avery about his support for marriage equality, one of the only players in professional sports to vocally do so.

From the NYT piece:

“The places I’ve played and lived the longest have been in West Hollywood, Calif., when I played for the L.A. Kings, and when I moved to New York, I lived in Chelsea for the first four years,” Avery said in a phone interview. “I certainly have been surrounded by the gay community. And living in New York and when you live in L.A., you certainly have a lot of gay friends.”

Avery, who lives in the SoHo section of Manhattan and keeps a home in Los Angeles, said some of those friends had wanted to marry, and he saw no reason they should not.

“I’m certainly open to it,” he said. “Maybe I can help, and I jumped at this opportunity.”

Watch the video he recorded for the HRC's "New Yorkers for Marriage Equality" campaign, in which the NHLer sports an adorable, bespectacled look, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Hot. Love the glasses. Love Sean Avery. Love the Rangers. But seriously, isn't single issue voting a bit passe?

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | May 7, 2011 3:22:01 PM

2. Coming from an notorious racist and homophobic meat-head that makes me embarrassed of sharing the same nationality...wow.

Posted by: cg | May 7, 2011 3:32:50 PM

3. Avery is great..the Rangers are great and hockey is the most forward thinking sport....because of the Canadians.

Posted by: chriss | May 7, 2011 5:46:53 PM

4. Too bad Sean Avery is possibly the most classless person in hockey and a complete tool. I'm just being honest "Towleroad" so please don't block my comment. Thanks!

Posted by: Ioann | May 7, 2011 6:16:46 PM

5. His glasses are crooked!

Posted by: TJ | May 7, 2011 11:06:19 PM

6. @Ioann: came to say the same thing.

Posted by: Richard Farias | May 8, 2011 2:04:41 AM

7. @Ioann and @Richard Farias, what Avery does on the ice is one thing, he is supposed to get under the skin of the opposing players. What he does off the ice is another matter. Every time I have ever met Avery he has been nothing but nice to everyone. Bravo to Avery for standing up for marriage equality for all. Avery has also made it clear in the media that if a young hockey player wanted to come out to his team he would be there to support them. What Avery does off the ice speaks more than what he does on the ice.

Posted by: BK | May 8, 2011 10:51:00 AM

8. Sean is standing up for equality for all. I say, good for him.

And THANKS! :-)

Posted by: FunMe | May 8, 2011 5:25:55 PM

9. to the 2 haters...look inside yourselves...how much or how little have you done for marriage equality before you start criticizing Avery. Thanks for the support Sean Avery!!

Posted by: chris | May 8, 2011 6:38:24 PM

10. http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/fashion/08/06/23_shirtlesssavery_lg.jpg

'nough said.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 8, 2011 7:52:00 PM

11. @Chris: Calling it like it is doesn't make you a "hater". Christina Aguilera bombed at the Super Bowl. If I say that am I a Christina Aguilera "hater"? Anyone familiar with hockey knows that Sean Avery has earned a remarkably bad reputation.

Posted by: Ioann | May 8, 2011 9:22:22 PM