AIDS/HIV | Larry Kramer | News

Watch: Opening Night at 'The Normal Heart' on Broadway

Kramer

Broadway.com sent a reporter to opening night of the revival of The Normal Heart, Larry Kramer's landmark play about the AIDS crisis, and grabbed brief interviews with cast members Ellen Barkin, Joe Mantello, John Benjamin Hickey, Jim Parsons, Mark Harelik, Richard Topol, and Luke Macfarlane, as well as co-directors Joel Grey and George Wolfe, and Kramer.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What kind of question is...is broadway ready for this play? What kind of moronic thinking is behind such a question??

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | May 4, 2011 11:14:32 AM

2. I saw this show 4 days before it opened. None of us in the audience were prepared for it. It blew everyone out the door. If you're in NY, under no circumstances should you miss it. Larry Kramer, whom so many in the 80s thought was an alarmist and a nag, has at last been proven a prophet that, if he had been listened to, more would be alive today. This is a play that can finally stand along the greatest American plays. Great work.

Posted by: Jim | May 4, 2011 12:56:32 PM

3. s Broadway ready? Has this idiot heard that there was a little play call Angels in America? Two actually, and the star Joe Montello won a Tony for the second one?

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 4, 2011 2:42:22 PM

4. Actually, Joe didn't win a Tony for Angels -- he was nominated, but Stephen Spinella won two Tonys for his role. Joe has won twice for directing: Assassins and Take Me Out.

Posted by: dgchgo | May 4, 2011 3:00:49 PM

5. No Lee Pace interview? Frowny face! And I am pretty sure I saw Cheyenne Jackson and Patricia Clarkson in the background at different points.

Loved the production, it should win every Tony it is nominated for.

Posted by: David | May 4, 2011 3:22:44 PM

6. I guess cause broadway is such a mainstream place, I see what she means and it's ironic because it's run by gays.

Posted by: Rowan | May 4, 2011 3:23:26 PM

7. It's a very angry political play not exactly what you expect in the current play it safe Broadway.

Posted by: jaragon | May 4, 2011 6:07:17 PM

8. I saw this play in previews. I sat in the back row of the balcony and it reached me up there. On more than one occasion, the tears were rolling down my cheeks. Just such an amazing play that plays as a historical document. To see how far we've come and how far there still is left to go made for one of the most memorable and moving evenings of theater I've seen in a long time. Wow. Peace.

Posted by: Seamus | May 4, 2011 8:10:04 PM

9. Jim Parsons: "The only thing I'm grateful for is there's no hazing". Hahaha.

Mmmmm....John Benjamin Hickey.....mmmmmmm.

I suspect there's almost zero chance of this particular cast doing a tour, if there is one, so I hope it's being filmed for us far west of the (212).

Posted by: Henry Holland | May 4, 2011 10:18:27 PM