Columbus | Lady Gaga | News | Ohio

Hundreds Sing Gaga's 'Born This Way' in 'Flash Choir' in Columbus, Ohio: VIDEO

Bornthiswaymob

A group called The Harmony Project put together a "flash choir" yesterday on the Columbus Commons, Queer 411 reports. The point? To celebrate diversity.

"The festivities were sponsored by Equality Ohio, Outlook Media, Stonewall Columbus, The Creative Good, Ozone Studios, Ares Sportswear, 10Tv, The Columbus Dispatch, Alive! and Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's news coverage from the Columbus Dispatch....

Comments

1. Surprisingly boring. And badly filmed. And they should not have used that version of the song. Meh. Dancing flash mobs are more impressive.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 15, 2011 1:39:37 PM

2. It's sad- I'm Columbus born and raised, and I have no idea where the "Columbus Commons" are.

Posted by: James | Jun 15, 2011 1:39:42 PM

3. @James: The Columbus Commons is a new park on the site of the former City Center. It is a semi-public park owned by the Capitol South Improvement Co. The Dispatch was bored also.

Posted by: Gus | Jun 15, 2011 1:47:14 PM

4. Columbus Commons is in Google Maps for the dumb asses:
    [ http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1152&bih=529&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=columbus+commons&fb=1&gl=us&hq=columbus+commons&hnear=columbus+commons&cid=6269361519288013742 ]

And I love any homage to Gaga.

Posted by: Philo | Jun 15, 2011 2:20:53 PM

5. Why is it categorized as a "flash" choir? It's not like if this suddenly happened...

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Jun 15, 2011 2:29:12 PM

6. Thank goodness some Towleroad readers cared enough to show up and insult hundreds of queer and queer-supportive people having a good time while promoting equality in a hostile red state.

What's wrong with the rest of you? I demand more insults now!

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 15, 2011 2:33:37 PM

7. @Gus thanks for the info. Left Columbus to go to college so makes sense that I wouldn't know.

@Philo you know that gesture in which someone waves his hand across to top of his head and makes a "woosh" noise?

Posted by: James | Jun 15, 2011 3:06:25 PM

8. God bless Gaga and The Harmony Project!

Posted by: RATBASTARD | Jun 15, 2011 3:14:49 PM

9. Things like this send a positive message so I think it's a great project. The fact so many participated is good to see.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 15, 2011 3:32:32 PM

10. I've always wanted to be part of a flash mob *sigh*

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 15, 2011 3:33:50 PM

11. I don't care much for Gaga, but I didn't find this boring at all. If anything, seeing the incredibly diverse crowd was exhilarating and heartwarming.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 15, 2011 3:35:47 PM

12. Flash Dances are a lil more exciting but I agree with Jack, seeing the diversity in the crowd was moving.

Posted by: scollingsworth | Jun 15, 2011 3:54:14 PM

13. It was great to see the enthusiasm of many of the participants, and of course the message is positive and affirming. I was with Chris in Irvine though and did not see how this was a "flash" choir - the element of surprise that makes flash mob scenes work was missing.

Posted by: Bryant | Jun 15, 2011 4:10:56 PM

14. The sentiment is great and I love that they did this. I just wish it was filmed better and was a better version of the song. That's all.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 15, 2011 4:37:17 PM

15. heh--the money shot, boy in blue shirt in mother's arms with his hands over his ears. 3:41 mark.

i thought "choir" is supposed to have sections (SATB), everyone was singing the melody line. lacking any harmony. i didn't hear it. that or the harmonies were weak. i can still critique on artistic merit, right? or are they using the "choir" terminology rather loosely?

Posted by: lakas | Jun 15, 2011 5:45:27 PM

16. In the sense of the lyrics of the song - I love what this stands for. I think it's really heart-touching to see this many people that stand together to promote equality and unity. In the sense of being an artist and have this many people come and sing your song - thats just WOW

Posted by: RG | Jun 15, 2011 6:15:27 PM

17. Thanks for the shout out to my blog :) but the site is called Queer Corner, not Queer 411. Just fyi.

Posted by: Dwayne | Jun 15, 2011 6:34:12 PM

18. Columbus is a BLUE DOT in the middle of a tragic red state!

Posted by: Tracy | Jun 15, 2011 7:26:16 PM