2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Mitt Romney | Mormon | News | Piers Morgan | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Mitt Romney Questioned About Flip-Flops, Gay Rights: Video

Gay_rights_romney

Here's the longer clip from the Piers Morgan interview asking Romney about his positions on gay rights, marriage, women's rights, and flip-flopping.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Romney takes it as a "gotcha" question when Piers asks if if he personally believes homosexuality is a sin.

MORGAN: Do you personally think homosexuality is a sin?

M. ROMNEY: Nice try, but I'm not going to get into --

MORGAN: That's a valid question, isn't it?

M. ROMNEY: It's a valid question and my answer is nice try. I'm not -- I'm not going to --

MORGAN: Nice try at what?

M. ROMNEY: I'm going to tell you that as a -- as a leader of the American people, I will do everything in my power to treat all people with respect and dignity and to -- and to advance the rights people have to choose their own course in life.

MORGAN: There are people watching you saying, "Nice try," Piers, repeatedly, saying, well, why doesn't he just answer the question?

M. ROMNEY: Well, for instance, if you were to say to me, do you think adultery is a sin, do you think someone who -- who -- who does something you disagree with is a sin?

Look, those are terms in the religious context. I'm not here in a religious context. I'm here as a candidate for president. And as a candidate for president or as a president, I would have to represent the interests of all the people. And I don't distinguish between sin and sinner as I'm -- as I'm looking at --

MORGAN: So if you were made president --

M. ROMNEY: -- as -- as I'm looking at a president. I --

MORGAN: If you were made president, you wouldn't make any pronouncements whatsoever of a personal nature about any form of personal behavior?

M. ROMNEY: Well, I -- I'm not quite sure what -- what you're referring to...

(CROSSTALK)

MORGAN: -- just hide all that behind the...

M. ROMNEY: I can't -- I can't...

MORGAN: -- of religious belief.

M. ROMNEY: It's hard -- it's hard for me to imagine describing something as a sin in a political sense. You can talk about something being wrong, about something being evil. There are -- there are murderers. That's evil and that's wrong. It also happens to be sin, according to most religions.

But -- but the -- but if the terminology is religious terminology, that's probably not something which -- which would figure into -- to public policy.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In other Romney news, the former Massachusetts governor is getting hit by conservatives for his views on climate change:

So far, Romney’s reviews from the right are not positive. His views about climate change in particular put him at odds with many in his party’s base.

“Bye-bye, nomination,” Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday on his radio talk show after playing a clip of Romney’s climate remark. “Another one down. We’re in the midst here of discovering that this is all a hoax. The last year has established that the whole premise of man-made global warming is a hoax, and we still have presidential candidates that want to buy into it.”

Comments

1. If he were an Evangelical (like Huckabee) he certainly wouldn't be trying to draw a line between politics and religion like that.

While I want to say I admire his separation of church and state attitude... I think it's entirely self-serving. He knows that his Mormon background counts against him with the GOP and he needs to show he stands apart from it to woo their support.

Posted by: jexer | Jun 9, 2011 7:18:38 AM

2. So he is making an argument for separation of church and state (or politics) to diminish his LDS background while courting the Religious Right who want a biblical interpretation of the Constitution and all laws? Plus pissing off the Tea’s on Global Warming? Ain’t gonna work.

Posted by: Gus | Jun 9, 2011 7:19:58 AM

3. I don't think he'll be the nominee. I don't think the eventual Republican nominee is even in the race yet, and I do not mean Sarah Palin.
    I never read "Game Change" but I understand there's a supposed true scene in there of a bathroom break during a Republican debate as recalled by an aide. Huckabee, McCain, Fred Thompson and some other guy all in there saying how they couldn't stand the guy., when Mitt walks in to hear half of it.
    He's like the guy in high school who's father is a multi-millionaire and tries to be everybody's friend but everybody knows he thinks he's far superior to you.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 9, 2011 7:34:51 AM

4. He will never, ever win the Republican nomination with talk like that.

Posted by: Jason 2 | Jun 9, 2011 7:50:13 AM

5. So, to sum up, Romney thinks "gay" is an activity akin to adultery and murder, but he respects everyone, including adulterers, murderers and gays.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 9, 2011 8:26:12 AM

6. Summer is the perfect time of the year for flip flops!

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 9, 2011 8:27:26 AM

7. blah blah blah stupid stupid stupid guy

Posted by: David | Jun 9, 2011 8:40:54 AM

8. He's damned if he does, damned if he does. But hey Mitt, nice hair.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 9, 2011 8:44:16 AM

9. Actually, if Piers was a better interviewer he would have pivoted to exactly what the hell Romney thinks of Gay/Civil rights and make him defend his boneheaded stance of 'I support the gays, but not their rights'. THAT'S the crux of the issue with him, and he's not smooth enough to split that hair and remain attractive to anyone in the middle or middle-left. He doesn't need the middle for the Rep nomination, but he'll need them for the General election -- make him say it NOW so he can't try to weasel it later on. Empty suit, man, empty suit.

Posted by: princely54 | Jun 9, 2011 9:18:50 AM

10. This is exactly how a politician should answer when asked if something is a sin. I honestly don't care what a politician's religious views are provide he keeps them separate from state business. For example, I don't care if someone thinks drinking alcohol is a horrible sin, but I do care if he wants to ban it.

Anyway, I can't get the clip to work for some reason, so maybe Morgan did ask this at some point, but the important question is Romney's stance on gay rights issues.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 9, 2011 9:42:44 AM

11. Remember that it was Mitt Romney as Massachusetts Governor who revived enforcement of the 1913 anti-miscegenation law for use on same-sex couples. ("We don't want Massachusetts to become the Las Vegas of gay marriage.") No matter what he says, Mitt Romney is filth.

Posted by: Russell | Jun 9, 2011 9:46:41 AM

12. Sounds like ol' Mitt's being force-fed on something about the American body-politic that he pretends not to know when he's in front of conservative audiences. May he choke on it.

Posted by: Danny | Jun 9, 2011 10:31:35 AM

13. I expect his answer regarding gay marriage would sound a lot like President Obama's.

I wanted to be happy about this, in that I think it says something that a Republican candidate isn't willing to just openly gay bash to pander for votes. Small victory?

Out of the Republicans in the field, he's the only sensible one. I don't want him to win, but I'd rather have him than any of the others in the ring at the moment.

And I think what he said there sounds more reasonable to people sitting in the middle of the political spectrum who are sick of being inundated with insane lunatics like Palin, Trump or Bachmann.

The right wing candidate never gets the nomination. Mike Huckabee came out of the gates winning the first few primaries last election cycle and we see where that got him. Nowhere. Romney or Pawlenty are the only two legitimate candidates at the moment.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 9, 2011 12:02:00 PM

14. In favor of gay rights?
    @2:52 Romney: "What happened was the gay community changed their perspective as to what they wanted."

Gay rights included the right to marry in Massachusetts in 2003.

No one "changed their perspective" and slipped in a demand for marriage.

He endorsed a 2005 petition effort led by the Coalition for Marriage & Family that would have banned both same-sex marriage and made no provisions for civil unions in Massachusetts.

If he thinks rights do not include family formation and recognition then he needs to be asked that directly and he needs to say so.

If he thinks employment rights don't include everything involved with employment - taxation, benefits, insurance, designating family - then he cannot possibly be elected, let alone nominated.

Posted by: Leslie | Jun 9, 2011 12:30:35 PM

15. You cannot be for equal rights but against marriage equality. It makes no sense. For if everyone was to have the rights, then gays should have the right to marry. It can't be some equal rights for everybody but other rights for just a few. What I would have liked to see him answer was if the majority of the country favored gay marriage, would he put aside his personal and/or religious views and sign it into law?? He claims to want to represent everyone. That's what Pierce should have asked him.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 9, 2011 6:02:00 PM

16. I think Piers actually is a pretty good interviewer. I do wish he had specifically asked about ENDA when Mitt says he was in opposed job discrimination. Mitt is slimy.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 9, 2011 10:33:18 PM