Gay Marriage | Gay Slurs | News | Sean Avery

Sean Avery Wikipedia Entry Edited to Call Him 'Fag Boy'

Avery

New York Ranger Sean Avery's Wikipedia entry was edited earlier this week, and as of this posting still appears in Google's search results as Sean "Fag Boy" Avery.

The entry was presumably edited over his support for marriage equality.

On its help desk page, Wikipedia notes that the entry has been corrected, noting "It's an unfortunate cached version of the page that got saved before the vandalism was detected and removed. However, as Wikipedia is among the top ranking sites in Google Search, it will be updated quite soon enough. It can take from a few hours to a few days, more likely the former. Try checking Google Search again tomorrow. Note that this issue is from Google and beyond the means of anyone here to fix. The actual wiki entry has already been fixed."

Thanks again to Sean Avery for his support of gay rights issues. Unfortunately this illustrates what many LGBT people must endure on a daily basis.

Comments

1. Mr. Avery is a big boy and will just scrape his shoe and continue on his way.

It shows how desperate and infantile homophobic bigots can be.

@Mr. Avery - Thanks for speaking up. Your efforts in support of equality are much appreciated.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Jun 22, 2011 11:22:46 AM

2. I'd like to see the chickenshit who wrote that say it to Avery's face. He'd mop the floor with the craven putz.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jun 22, 2011 11:26:02 AM

3. There was no place to mention this but I was on NPH's wiki account and the top bit said 'fudge'. The whole set up looked really odd as the first lines then mentioned the kids. I remember being confused as I had never seen a wiki page set up like this. And well the word 'fudge' was just plain suspicious.

I've checked today and it's now gone. I couldn't get a screen grab as I was on my iPad but these guys are so pathetic.

Wow. Just cause someone is out or supports gays. Really??

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 22, 2011 11:56:07 AM

4. Of course we deal with it every day.

Just yesterday at work - on a large urban university campus - I had a student mock my accent and my sexuality (the former is obvious once I speak, the latter I'd say he gleaned my I'll-admit-to-it-being-a-tad-twee fashiony outfit of the day.)

After I addressed him for a bit of every day workplace business, he turned his back and sneered to no one in particular "Ah'm Forrest Gump and I'm a gay."

It was an odd way to be put down, but nothing I'd not heard before. When I then said, "Excuse me, what did you say?" - said student harasser just scurried off.

Lame people with lame ideas.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 22, 2011 12:01:33 PM

5. Google is pulling a cached version of the Wikipedia entry. The current version has been cleaned up.

Posted by: JD in MA | Jun 22, 2011 12:24:53 PM

6. I suppose I should know the answer to this, but is he the hockey player who did the internship at Vogue magazine?

Posted by: Fahd | Jun 22, 2011 12:43:37 PM

7. We all should send Sean Avery some love and support so he'll know we got his back.

As for the butt-hole bigots, they'll get theirs one day.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 22, 2011 1:41:23 PM

8. Yes, it's already been cleaned off the current version, and it will soon be off Google's cached version (if it isn't gone already), but article histories are forever:

Article histories also include the IP addresses of morons who don't bother logging in. Looks like somebody in Eau Claire, Wisconsin has been busy talking smack about all sorts of NHL players.

Posted by: jeem | Jun 22, 2011 2:03:19 PM

9. perpetrated by someone at santorum's camp....?

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 22, 2011 3:17:55 PM

10. Homophobes are sad individuals. Shows you how angry and bitter they are.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 22, 2011 3:51:20 PM

11. Still up (or reinstated) if you do a Google search.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 22, 2011 4:28:44 PM

12. @FAHD, yes, Sean Avery is the thug-on-the-ice with the surprising softer-side who begged Anna Wintour via handwritten letter for a chance to intern at Vogue (and got it). He's also been known to buy whole seasons of menswear collections and while an infamous heterosexual (he's been known to be kind of crude in his, er, dealings), he's a big gay rights supporter. He has said that if any high school or college hockey player wants to come out, he'd fly to be with them when they did it so they didn't get any sh*t from other players in that scary moment, and he recently shot a commercial in support of gay marriage in New York and personally flew to Albany to lobby undecided lawmakers on the issue. He can be a goon on the ice, but we have no bigger ally in the sports community right now. (Steve Nash, however, is also an actively playing athlete to shoot a NY Marriage commercial, as did retired NFL player Michael Strahan...sp?)

Posted by: breckroy | Jun 22, 2011 5:25:24 PM

13. Just googled him and the Fag Boy thing is still coming up on the results page but not in the actual article

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 22, 2011 7:10:13 PM

14. In the History of the article are many more vandalism-edits with "gay" or unmanly things. I searched the last 250 edits since june 2010.

Posted by: Fg68at | Jun 22, 2011 7:25:58 PM

15. Sean Avery does everything whole-heartedly and he thinks outside of the box.

His work in the fashion industry, his pesky defensive maneuvers (which resulted in a change in hockey defensive rules), and his full-throated defense of gay marriage show that this man is the real deal.

Plus he's such a hottie. (Especially in those gay marriage pictures when his glasses were crooked.)

Posted by: bravo | Jun 22, 2011 9:14:57 PM

16. Looked up the IP address, got Richardson Texas...why am I not surprised.

Posted by: Evil European | Jun 23, 2011 11:16:18 AM