Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | New York | News | Timothy Dolan

BigGayDeal.com

NY Archbishop Dolan Warns of Communist Threat from Same-Sex Marriage, Says It Redefines 'Natural Law'

New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan is panicked that New York lawmakers might allow the state's citizens freedoms they have the right to enjoy.

Dolan Writes Dolan, in a blog post:

Last time I consulted an atlas, it is clear we are living in New York, in the United States of America – not in China or North Korea.  In those countries, government presumes daily to “redefine” rights, relationships, values, and natural law.  There, communiqués from the government can dictate the size of families, who lives and who dies, and what the very definition of “family” and “marriage” means.

But, please, not here!  Our country’s founding principles speak of rights given by God, not invented by government, and certain noble values – life, home, family, marriage, children, faith – that are protected, not re-defined, by a state presuming omnipotence.

Please, not here!  We cherish true freedom, not as the license to do whatever we want, but the liberty to do what we ought; we acknowledge that not every desire, urge, want, or chic cause is automatically a “right.”  And, what about other rights, like that of a child to be raised in a family with a mom and a dad?

Our beliefs should not be viewed as discrimination against homosexual people.  The Church affirms the basic human rights of gay men and women, and the state has rightly changed many laws to offer these men and women hospital visitation rights, bereavement leave, death benefits, insurance benefits, and the like.  This is not about denying rights. It is about upholding a truth about the human condition.  Marriage is not simply a mechanism for delivering benefits:  It is the union of a man and a woman in a loving, permanent, life-giving union to pro-create children.  Please don’t vote to change that.  If you do, you are claiming the power to change what is not into what is, simply because you say so.  This is false, it is wrong, and it defies logic and common sense.

The WSJ writes: "Four lawmakers who voted against gay marriage two years ago, including one Republican, declared on Monday that they would now vote in favor of allowing gays to wed. That means the odds are long for the Roman Catholic Church in its bid to prevent gay marriage from becoming legal in New York. The next few days will be an interesting test of Dolan’s influence. It probably doesn’t help that the archbishop is 3,000 miles away, leading a bishop conference in Seattle."

Catholic Online praises Dolan for "pushing back The Darkess in New York":

Archbishop Timothy Dolan is a heroic servant of the Church and pastor of the faithful of New York. When he was elected to the office of President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops I called it a sign of the Lord's continued guidance of the Church in the United States. I wrote "Truly, God has not forgotten His people in the Church in the United States"

I also said then - and repeat it now - the United States of America has become mission territory. The Catholic Church in the United States is in need of the "New Evangelization." Archbishop Timothy Dolan is a wonderful instrument of this New Evangelization, a trumpet in the hands of the Lord.

The Catholic Church and the message of authentic freedom and true humanism which she proclaims is the only hope for this age being ravaged by a hungry darkness. With characteristic courage, Archbishop Dolan is defending  Marriage and the family and society founded upon it.

Comments

1. When was the last time anyone consulted an atlas?

Posted by: rafi | Jun 15, 2011 9:41:50 AM

2. Oh, the irony! The church that brought us the Dark Ages is purportedly "pushing back the darkness" by fighting against the right of gay people to marry in New York. The proponents of the Inquisition are the forces of freedom and -- get ready for this -- HUMANISM! I about choked.

Posted by: candideinncc | Jun 15, 2011 9:42:49 AM

3. This is seriously unhinged. It's Fred Phelps territory, really.

Posted by: Glenn | Jun 15, 2011 9:46:03 AM

4. Thanks, Timmy, for your advice BUT...until the day you and The Church become TAXPAYING citizens, you'll need to have a bit more cred to shoot your mouth off. TAX THE CHURCH - EVERY CHURCH!

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Jun 15, 2011 9:46:16 AM

5. Oh shut up already, Mary.

Posted by: RATBASTARD | Jun 15, 2011 9:47:33 AM

6. Oh, if only they dedicated this much venom and effort towards actual problems in New York, like homelessness, hunger, etc... but I guess those issues doesn't qualify as The Darkness to them.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 15, 2011 9:48:44 AM

7. @Ben - I was going to add, has anyone in the Catholic Church every condemned the massive child abuse scandal with anything like the same vigor with which they attack gays? They always talk about their child abuse with measured tones but those gays... aieeeee! it's the end of the world!

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 15, 2011 9:50:54 AM

8. The Catholic Church is an expert on 'natural law'. Celibacy? Papal infallability? Immaculate conception and Virgin birth? Sainthood? Yep, all VERY natural things...

Posted by: hugo | Jun 15, 2011 9:51:01 AM

9. How dare the government dictate the size of families, who lives and who dies, and what the very definition of “family” and “marriage” means when that is the job of the Catholic Church.

Posted by: qjersey | Jun 15, 2011 9:51:11 AM

10. It's time to revoke the tax-exempt status of churches.

Posted by: jay_max | Jun 15, 2011 9:51:19 AM

11. Next he will be telling us that he is straight.

Posted by: homer | Jun 15, 2011 9:52:59 AM

12. Shut up, fatty.

Posted by: Lindsay | Jun 15, 2011 9:55:02 AM

13. Here's what I posted on the Archbishop's blog:

"Your 7th paragraph is a wonderful defense of why marriage is so important to the Catholic Church and why it must remain solely between a man and a woman. But the entire country isn’t Catholic. Using your personal beliefs to determine civil law restricts my church from marrying same-sex couples, if it so chooses. That sounds more like the tyranny of China and North Korea. The US was founded on the concept of true religious freedom and therefore Catholic beliefs are not valued more or less than any other denomination or religion. Otherwise divorce would be illegal as well.

Fortunately, this new law has a strict religious exemption so that the Catholic Church will never be required to marry any couple it deems unworthy. From that standpoint, nothing changes and the Church can still place as high of a value on traditional marriage as it chooses."

I tried to be respectful but now my comment says "Your comment is awaiting moderation." so I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: Landon | Jun 15, 2011 9:55:02 AM

14. "When he was elected to the office of President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops I called it a sign of the Lord's continued guidance of the Church in the United States."

So other self righteous windbags elect another self righteous windbag and somehow this is the hand of god at work?

Posted by: Raven | Jun 15, 2011 9:56:40 AM

15. So...

because I want to be just as equal as everyone else I'm the "hungry darkness".
    because I want to commit myself and my life to the man I love I'm the "hungry darkness".
    because I want to have a safe stable home, free from institutionalized fear, I'm the "hungry darkness".
    because I point out the inequity of their priorities, I'm the "hungry darkness".
    because the fear of the homeless won't fill their coffers like the fear of homosexuals does, I'm the "hungry darkness".

Hey, entitled, white, pompous bigot...STFU.

Posted by: brian | Jun 15, 2011 9:57:57 AM

16. Don't bother crafting a response, even if it is respectful. Apparently any disagreement with the man is not allowed. Mine has been "awaiting moderation" since yesterday morning. Here is what I wrote:

While I do respect your opinion, I must disagree. The inability to change and accept an enlightened way of thinking has long been the Achilles’ heel of the Catholic Church. We’ve seen it with the rights of many groups, most notably women. We’ve seen it with the reluctant acceptance of a number of issues that have since been embraced by people of faith. It is my belief that God’s Word is continually being spoken. He didn’t speak thousands of years ago and has since remained silent. He is constantly teaching us new lessons of love and acceptance. He is constantly showing us how incredibly diverse humanity truly is. Nothing but fear and ignorance hold us back from hearing this Word. Even if you disagree with my view on faith, it is important to realize that there is a distinct difference between the rights and responsibilities associated with a civil marriage and the Sacrament of Marriage within the Catholic Church. Your argument, while perhaps valid in a discussion on changing the Sacrament of Marriage within the Church, loses its validity when discussing marriage in the context of the rights and responsibilities granted by the State of New York. God, as you write, has defined the Sacrament of Marriage long ago. However, it is Albany’s duty to define the legal definition of civil marriage today. Wouldn’t we think it preposterous if those of different faiths than our own were denied these rights and responsibilities by the state? If a key definition of marriage is to procreate, should those unable to bear children be excluded from these rights and responsibilities? Should the elderly be excluded? I come at this issue, as you do, not only as a person of faith but also as an American citizen. As a person of faith, I have learned the power of love. As an American citizen, I have learned the importance of equality. This has led me to support marriage equality and I believe a larger number of Catholics than you may suspect would agree with me. If you silence your fear and ignorance and listen to God speaking, you may as well.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 15, 2011 10:02:15 AM

17. This man with his facade of joviality and harmlessness may be one of our most dangerous enemies. Have you seen him on the Today Show? He is skilled at appearing caring and nonthreatening. If I believed in any of those fairy tales I would speculate that he might be the Anti-Christ.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 15, 2011 10:10:12 AM

18. Considering the sexual history of some of the previous Archbishops of New York, Rev. Dolan should be the last to criticize.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jun 15, 2011 10:13:40 AM

19. He is just a puppet of the Nazi in the Vatican. Ignore him and he will shrivel into insignificance.

Posted by: candideinncc | Jun 15, 2011 10:16:11 AM

20. No one should accept definitions of 'marriage', 'true freedom' or 'natural law' from an organization that shelters priests who rape boys.

Posted by: jexer | Jun 15, 2011 10:22:37 AM

21. Hahahaha! The Catholic corporation is pathetic. Reap what you sow, your absurd bigots!

Posted by: FlexSF | Jun 15, 2011 10:24:05 AM

22. @Lindsey: My thought exactly.

Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. And the Catholic hagiography portrays the saints as fasting and giving their food to the poor. This over-fed rotund fool has no cred even within his own tradition to criticize others, when his own behavior is so at odds with the values of the institution he claims to represent.

Posted by: Really? | Jun 15, 2011 10:30:51 AM

23. I don't understand: Why should we listen when he has "chosen" to live an "unnatural celibate lifestyle" in opposition to the true human call of sexuality?

No? Did I miss something?

Oh--. Maybe he isn't celibate.

Posted by: Sane Soul | Jun 15, 2011 10:31:57 AM

24. @Candide. That's exactly what I was thinking. I thought the Catholic Church was always AGAINST Humanism; now they say the church proclaims authentic freedom and true humanism....what a joke..

Posted by: DAVE | Jun 15, 2011 10:34:14 AM

25. Dan - Surprisingly, both of our comments have been posted. I guess someone just hadn't gotten to them yet.

Posted by: Landon | Jun 15, 2011 10:52:30 AM