Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | New York | Timothy Dolan

New York Bishop: 'Same Sex Marriage Is Another Nail In The Coffin'

The New York Daily News has published an op-ed by the Bishop of Brooklyn, Nicholas Anthony DiMarzio, wherein he naturally slams the fantastic news from New York. He writes:

Bishop Tragically, we no longer understand the primary purpose of marriage as the institution by which a man and woman bring new life into the world and teach the child to become a productive citizen.

As a consequence we have all witnessed the surge in numbers of divorce, single parenthood and cohabitation outside of marriage. Not even thirty years ago this would have been almost unthinkable and certainly scandalous.

I believe the passage of same sex marriage is another "nail in the coffin" of marriage. It is destructive because we fail to view marriage in the context of a vocation: a calling to participate in the great enterprise of forming the next generation. Marriage is reduced to an empty honor.

You can read the entire piece here.

Meanwhile, Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan, who has been very vocally against marriage equality, was mum on the subject during mass today. He spoke to reporters afterward: “I sort of needed a good dose of the Lord’s grace and mercy because I’ve been down a little lately as you can imagine.”

Comments

1. he seems to be taking a great deal of interest in people
    procreating and creating the next generation of touchable children.

Posted by: tony | Jun 26, 2011 3:40:02 PM

2. if marriage is a vocation to form the next generation, let married gays adopt children.

ta da!

Posted by: raphinou | Jun 26, 2011 3:40:39 PM

3. Why his holiness is not married?

Posted by: simon | Jun 26, 2011 3:43:46 PM

4. So a man who refuses to get married blames gays who want to get married for hastening the end of marriage? Is this guy a Catholic Bishop or a stand-up comic?

Posted by: Kelly Young | Jun 26, 2011 3:43:59 PM

5. And I'm supposed to fell sorry for his holiness, why?

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Jun 26, 2011 3:45:44 PM

6. That was supposed to read feel, not fell. Oopsy!

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Jun 26, 2011 3:47:06 PM

7. They can't have it both ways! If the church wants to get political, take away their tax-exempt status. Marriage is a civil rights issue, not a religious one!

I for one could care less what these bible-thumpers think or feel. They cry about gays pushing their "agenda" on them and then turn around and push their irrelevant religious views on everyone. They are SO religious but can't wrap their minds around the fact that the passage of marriage equality in NY would be, by their logic, god's will. It's only god's will when they agree with the outcome.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 26, 2011 3:47:13 PM

8. Parents are Parents are Parents!

His logic is way off. Do parents with blond hair make better parents with brown hair? Of course not.

Also, in a case where a man and a woman who do not have any children, does that make their marriage any less significant?

Keep religion out of it!

Posted by: Max F. Grump | Jun 26, 2011 4:04:47 PM

9. An empty honor??

Clearly this man is brain dead. there are 1000+ rights and privileges bestowed on married people by our own federal government that have nothing to do with impregnation of a woman.

Wake up you neanderthal.

Posted by: dc20008 | Jun 26, 2011 4:12:37 PM

10. "Tragically -- to view marriage as legitimizing our individual need for love and affection." In my view NAD admits gays have need to love and to be loved. We know this, but so does he. Then, isn't marriage suppose to legitimize love? Oh, well...

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 26, 2011 4:16:04 PM

11. He's an idiot. "Not even thirty years ago" (say, the mid-1980s) divorce rates were higher in most states than they are today, there were plenty of single parents (recall Reagan's attack on them), and plenty of unmarried couples lived together (a trend that started in the 1960s and really took off in the 1970s).

I wouldn't trust or even be interested in the views on marriage of a man who isn't married, never has been married, has never had children, and is presumably celibate.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 26, 2011 4:16:33 PM

12. "In striving for that end, the man and woman discover their own mutual consolation. Tragically, we somehow have come to view marriage as legitimizing our individual need for love and affection."

So... love and affection between parents is a side-effect of the rutting instinct.

I guess we should be grateful we're evolotionarily superior to, say, the black widow spider.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 26, 2011 4:16:48 PM

13. I tell ya what Bishop, you go ahead and work on outlawing divorce, single parenting, and opposite-sex co-habitation, then you can start to complain about gay people ruining marriage.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 26, 2011 4:17:44 PM

14. Has everyone seen Cosmo Jarvis' awesome video 'Youre Sure as He'll not Jesus'? Great song and hilarious video about the Catholics and their silly child f$&king ways.

Posted by: MrJ | Jun 26, 2011 4:25:09 PM

15. If these religious people truly believe the primary reason to tie the knot is to reproduce, then they should not be surprised that the marriage as an institution is on its deathbed (according to them). Because if that's the case, you only need a penis and a vagina. Nothing else matters. Nothing else is needed.

As for me, I'm not marrying anyone because I want to knock them up. I'll marry the person I love. Everything else is secondary.

Posted by: Jude | Jun 26, 2011 4:25:12 PM

16. I am an American. The Pope doesn’t get a vote.

Posted by: Gus | Jun 26, 2011 4:27:03 PM

17. This videohis out the church is hilarious and sad...

Posted by: MrJ | Jun 26, 2011 4:27:20 PM

18. The implicit and insupportable assumption inherent in such arguments is always that that LGBQ people have neither the ability, the call, or the right to participate in raising of the next generation. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

It's time we held religious bigots personally responsible for their attitudes, words, and actions, and stopped allowing them to pass the buck to God. No more, "Don't blame me for the brutalization, humiliation, and injury of young LGBT people, and don't tell me about their misery or their suicides. It's not my fault God told me to tell them they're human garbage while claiming to love them."

Forget glitter. Dump a bucket of blood on the heads of DiMarzio and all his ilk and tell them to go to hell. After all, they're the ones who invented it.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 26, 2011 4:52:20 PM

19. Procreation has NEVER been a requirement to getting married. Which makes everything the honorable bishop said, a flat-out lie.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 26, 2011 5:05:51 PM

20. I've never been able to understand their wingnut logic on this - can someone please explain to me? So their religion gives them the right to tell me how I live my life? Their religion is the be all end all? How f&'ning ridiculous is that??? Don't they realize how insane that sounds? And even worse, some of these idiots get elected to public office?

Posted by: Mike | Jun 26, 2011 5:08:05 PM

21. And they call us drama queens.

Posted by: bkmn | Jun 26, 2011 5:26:54 PM

22. Tragically, Bishop of Brooklyn, Nicholas Anthony DiMarzio fails to understand the seperation of church and state. Hey Bishop--i wont pee in the holy font if you stop prying into my bedroom.

Posted by: Judy Was A Punk | Jun 26, 2011 5:29:19 PM

23. I was physically and mentally abused by my father for nearly 20 years. I was then physically and mentally abused by my wife for another 14 years.

I have been with my partner for the last 15 years in a loving and equal relationship. The fact he is the same sex shouldn't make any difference.

For millions of people around the world marriage is a way of legitimizing abuse, torture and even murder.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 26, 2011 5:33:37 PM

24. why don't they just go back to abusing children, covering it and stealing from the poor. if christ saw what people did in his name. he would be deeply offended. isn't it about time for this 2000 year old freak show to go away?

Posted by: walter | Jun 26, 2011 5:52:45 PM

25. They might want to tackle Gluttony first.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 26, 2011 5:53:29 PM