Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Howard Dean | Jared Polis | Lawrence O'Donnell | News

Rep. Jared Polis Discusses Obama Position on Same-Sex Marriage: VIDEO

Polis

Out Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO) joined Lawrence O'Donnell on The Last Word last night to discuss Obama's position on same-sex marriage.

Said Polis, who is largely defensive of the President's progress on LGBT rights issues: "He's going through a journey on this issue."

Says O'Donnell: "The patience that you are willing to demonstrate on this doesn't seem to be shared in some of the groups that energetically supported the President, volunteered, got out there....pushed out the vote..."

Howard Dean also joins O'Donnell at the end of the segment to discuss the bind Obama is in.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A "journey." Give me a freakin break. Not that his support on this issue is the be-all and end-all (I do give him props for DADT and DOMA, even if belated), but he's a politician with his finger in the wind, and right now the winds are blowing pretty equally in both directions. He knows what the right thing to do is. Calling it a "journey" makes it sound like he's on this noble voyage of introspection. BS.

Posted by: Glenn | Jun 22, 2011 2:29:16 PM

2. Polis is either stupid -- which I don't believe he is -- or he's lying.

Barack Obama couldn't care less about who marries who and his fake opposition to it is as fake as his fake religious faith.

Just like Polis, Obama is a liar. Just like Polis, Obama is pursuing a losing strategy by denying our humanity. Just like Polis, Obama has lost my support.

I didn't expect anything better from Barack Obama, but I expected a lot better from Jared Polis. It's a shame he's gone down this path, but he's not the first politician to be corrupted by being in politics. Not even vast personal wealth, apparently, can insulate you from that.

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 22, 2011 2:40:26 PM

3. LOL

Posted by: Name: | Jun 22, 2011 2:42:12 PM

4. There has never been a more supportive and gay friendly leader in the United States. He needs time.

Posted by: David C. Jones | Jun 22, 2011 2:45:41 PM

5. David,

Fine, but let's be honest about what he "needs time" for. He "needs time" for the political situation to be favorable enough for him that endorsing marriage is safe. What Polis and Obama want us to believe is that he "needs time" to "evolve" or "go on a journey" or some such garbage. No one can be naive enough to think that Obama "needs time" -- after all this time -- to figure out what the right answer on this issue is. It's insulting to our collective intelligence.

Posted by: Glenn | Jun 22, 2011 2:53:03 PM

6. Polis is obviously more loyal to the Democratic Party than to his own LGBT community. shame on him.

Posted by: gaylib | Jun 22, 2011 3:13:09 PM

7. I know for certain that I am voting for a presidential candidate who believes in FULL equality for all Americans. Thus, I may not be voting for a major-party candidate, but I will be able to feel good about my vote. If the issue were based on skin color rather than sexual orientation, then there would be no "journey" to take in order to understand that DOMA is nothing but bigotry. Although once a supporter, I have lost respect for Mr. Obama. Mr. President, my grandchildren will learn about you in amazement that you did not stand up for equality at this pivotal time in history.

Posted by: Janice | Jun 22, 2011 3:33:18 PM

8. Well...I think we all know that Obama flipflopped on marriage to secure his election. But I think we all also know that no other president has come close to truly advocating for LGBT people. Look where we are: DADT is in process of being repealed and DOMA will come next. No other president has done anything like this for our rights. Certainly no REPUBLICAN president would.

Posted by: wtf | Jun 22, 2011 3:41:53 PM

9. I don't bloody care what Obama thinks about marriage. The only damned thing that matters is that he is fighting for federal recognition of SSM and CUs.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 22, 2011 3:49:44 PM

10. I get the idea behind third party votes. I do. At certain times in my life, during particularly vitriolic battles between the rabid right wing and the milquetoast center, I've considered voting my conscience too. But please understand that our political system's tragic flaw is its inability to accommodate a third or fourth party as a viable candidate. The two primary parties are too powerful and won't let it happen, at least not now or anytime in the near future. So instead of finding the perfect candidate who not only agreed with you on every issue but also expresses that agreement in ways that you consistently approve of, consider instead two of the axioms upon which scientific research are based. The first: "Perfect is the enemy of good." The second: "Garbage in, garbage out." Regarding the first axiom, you will never find a perfect candidate who has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. You will only find the lesser of two sub-optimal candidates, hopefully one who is reasonable and listens to thoughtful arguments. Holding out for the perfect candidate will only work against your best interests in the long run. Regarding the second axiom, if you choose to support a third party candidate who has no chance of winning, then you are de facto supporting the worse of two evils. A garbage office-holder will provide nothing but garbage leadership... leadership that we'll all be stuck with for years, and that will likely provide lasting damage to our interests for many years after their term has ended.

By all means, vote for third party micro-candidates if you feel compelled to do so. But don't claim that your vote is anything more than a knee-jerk reaction to a frustrating, seemingly-intractible situation. Or perhaps maybe a little bit of solipsistic narcissism.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 22, 2011 4:03:41 PM

11. Commerce clause? Is it just me, or did Howard Dean seem a little off his game?

Posted by: BC | Jun 22, 2011 5:09:55 PM

12. Who cares, fix the economy already, what's the point in gay people being able to marry if they can't afford a wedding or a place to live.

Posted by: Mick | Jun 22, 2011 6:06:00 PM

13. Better he say nothing about same sex marriage, every time he takes a position the Republicans oppose it and the country follows along with the Republicans. Gay people are better off if the President does not say anything about it.

Posted by: Mick | Jun 22, 2011 6:08:52 PM

14. This is a show tune, but the show hasn't been written for it yet.
    "I don't trust you anymore, you keep on saying go slow. But that's just the trouble...it's too slow!"

Posted by: The Iron Orchard | Jun 22, 2011 7:09:17 PM