News | Tracy Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

CNN Speaks to Kevin Rogers, Who Exposed Tracy Morgan's Anti-Gay Rant on Facebook: Video

Kevin

CNN reports on Tracy Morgan's homophobic stand-up rant, which was exposed by photographer Kevin Rogers on his Facebook page. Rogers speaks with CNN about Morgan's show.

Morgan apologized this afternoon:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Very brave young man. He took a big risk because he couldn't let Tracy Morgan get away with that hate rally at a comedy club. Very brave.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 10, 2011 3:49:43 PM

2. The question is how many shows Morgan has already done this and practically gotten away with it. We know at least once (in 09). Kevin Rogers has done the us a service by not letting him get away with it again.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 3:51:30 PM

3. Haha I meant "done us a service" not "done the us a service"

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 3:52:02 PM

4. Amusingly when the presenter 1st mentioned Morgan's homophobic rant they showed a clip of him with openly closeted lesbian Queen Latifah. Deliberate or coincidence I wonder.

Posted by: SteveC | Jun 10, 2011 3:59:44 PM

5. Did you hear what he said about the audience? Applause. I will not go to Tennessee out of self defense.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 4:00:29 PM

6. BTW, this is why people like Gaga are so important. Promoting positive messages of acceptance and love to gay people is NECESSARY. We need more celebrities who are loud with their support.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 4:02:14 PM

7. Major disappointment but not surprised considering his track record. I hope that not only will NBC come forward with a statement but that both Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the Cast of 30 Rock. They need to knock some sense into him.

Posted by: chadSF | Jun 10, 2011 4:03:15 PM

8. Kevin Rogers is a hero. He stepped up and he didn't have to. He took on a rich man, a network, his own neighbors and institutionalized bigotry. Good for you, Mr. Rogers, and thank you.

Posted by: justme | Jun 10, 2011 4:07:37 PM

9. A very impressive young man.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 10, 2011 4:13:21 PM

10. Again, as I have posted to a great many sites (HuffPro, etc) - Tracey Morgan's career is finished and 30 Rock is dead. No amount of apology is going to save this man's career. It distresses me to listen to openly gay people like Kevin Rogers say that he accepts Morgan's apology. I want to whack the guy upside the head and ask what the hell is wrong with him that he would even consider accepting such a disingenuous faux act of attrition. Morgan is in NO WAY sorry for his hateful words, not for one moment! He meant every word and he will continue to encourage violence against gay people if he can get away with it. The comedy industry needs to disassociate themselves entirely from this guy and let his career seep down a gutter. The fact that Tina Fey, who has slipped into complete darkness over her co-worker's incredible rant, ensures that thousands will turn the dial on 30 Rock. The guy is a hate monger and a true nutcase.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jun 10, 2011 4:23:32 PM

11. great talk. genuine and gracious with morgan's apology. stood up for himself and us. thank you!

Posted by: Justin | Jun 10, 2011 4:24:15 PM

12. The thing that I find most unbelievable and infuriating is that Morgan either 1) Didn't think for a moment that a gay person might be in the audience or; 2) knew that there were probably gay people in the audience but didn't care and felt that it would be perfectly acceptable to unleash his hateful rant. Too bad the audience at the Morgan show didn't respond in the same unapproving way that the audience at the Michael Richards show did.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 10, 2011 4:27:17 PM

13. Apology not accepted. The words weren't the problem. The bigoted attitude underlying them was. Has that magically gone away with a PR statement?

Posted by: Skep | Jun 10, 2011 4:33:19 PM

14. 30 Rock is not dead -- don't be a drama queen -- however Tracy's participation in it certainly may be.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 10, 2011 4:33:30 PM

15. I'd also like to point out that Morgan ONLY apologized for a "poor choice of words". Some people are being WAY too quick to accept his "apology". Someone needs to ask him how he have rephrased his act. Instead of "stab" his son he could have used the word "shivved" or "shanked" or "stuck". And instead of "I don't care if I piss off some gays" he could have said "I don't care if I upset some MSM".

And how sad that in 2011 a man of Mr. Roger's age and well-spokenness still feels the need to be in the closet with his parents and is made to feel that way by his parents, his community and his society.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 10, 2011 4:42:23 PM

16. should have been "could have rephrased..."

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 10, 2011 4:43:30 PM

17. TampaZeke, he lives in Tennessee, where the audience applauds the "kill your gay kid" line. Thats why he has to be in the closet.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 4:47:36 PM

18. Tampazeke, my mother's a nutcase and we are not by any stretch of the imagination close. I'm out to the world (trust me, I'm actually in a book!), but I have never remotely come close to having a conversation with my mother about any aspect of my personal life, let alone something as important as sex and romance. It's simply none of her business.

I'm not saying Kevin Rogers has the same complicated relationship with his mother as I have with mine, but you are not required to share anything with someone just because that person is your biological parent. That's certainly not being "in the closet", especially when your orientation is public knowledge, like Mr. Rogers' and mine.

Every last person you know is not entitled to every last detail of your life, no matter what it is.

Posted by: justme | Jun 10, 2011 5:39:50 PM

19. @WES, I said, how sad that this is still the case in 2011; even in Tennessee.

I'm from rural Mississippi so I don't need to be told how the audiences in Tennessee are. The audience in Nashville would make the people in my home town look like gay rights activists.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 10, 2011 5:42:02 PM

20. Again, had Morgan aimed a similar level of tirade at any other minority, apology or not, NBC would fire his a** faster than you can say "Blerg!"

Imagine, for example, Morgan had "joked" on stage that if his kid converted to Judaism he'd stab him to death. No amount of apologizing after the fact would let that bigot keep his job on any major network. We must make sure the same standard applies here.

Morgan needs to go, and quickly. NBC, Tina Fey, and 30 Rock do not need to set up a double standard here.

I suggest everyone call or write NBC and let them know that if they're going to continue to promote this guy, we're going to start demanding of 30 Rock's advertisers if they're okay with helping facilitate the career of a guy who might, at any moment, sink back into to virulent bigotry in his stand-up routines.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jun 10, 2011 5:47:59 PM

21. TampaZeke, I agree with you. Its extremely sad to think how many people actually agree with Morgan's sentiment.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 6:34:56 PM

22. Sign the petition requesting that NBC fire Morgan for his hateful and vile attack on LGBT people: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/firetracymorgan

Posted by: Ry | Jun 10, 2011 7:01:17 PM

23. His apology didn't seem sincere. He made it cover his ass. I signed the petition asking NBC to can his homophobic ass: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/firetracymorgan

I think this sums up Morgan:

Posted by: Ry | Jun 10, 2011 7:04:20 PM

24. And when this was first reported, some people were saying they wouldn't believe it until they saw it.

Well now they have. And you know what I'm really f'ing sick of seeing? So-called apologies every single week from celebrities, athletes, newscasters, disc jockeys, and other "entertainers." Apologies NOT accepted. You don't say something unless you mean it. These people have all said what they mean, and said it mean. The only thing they're sorry for is the possible damage to their career---meaning, their income. Screw them all.

And as executive producer of 30 Rock, Tina Fey damn well better do something. She claims to be a long-time friend of gays, and Tracy Morgan has always been the very worst, least funny part of 30 Rock. I've never understood why he was cast. FIRE HIM. He promotes the very worst stereotypes of black men.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 10, 2011 7:16:21 PM

25. As I read it, Morgan has not apologized; rather, an apology attributed to him was released by his press agent...

Irrespectively, it's unacceptable. As cited above, such language used against any other minority would be the fuel for swift and definitive action. An apology won't cut it.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 10, 2011 7:22:27 PM