2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Mitt Romney | Mormon | News | Republican Party

Mitt Romney Says He Opposes Discrimination Against Gays, Except When He Supports It: Video

Romney

Mitt Romney talks to Piers Morgan tonight on CNN. Among the topics they discuss are gay rights and separating one's faith from one's political leadership.

Says Romney: "I opposed same sex marriage. At the same time I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are gay."

He adds: "I separate quite distinctly matters of personal faith from the leadership one has in a political sense. You don't begin to apply the doctrines of a religion to responsibility for guiding a nation or guiding a state."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "I opposed same sex marriage. At the same time I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are gay."

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 7, 2011 1:28:29 PM

2. "I love the idea of equality. But, damn, those gays are so effin' icky...with that peen-on-peen stuff...screw 'em! I mean...where was I...?"

His brain(?) must get tired after all those mental gymnastics.

Posted by: redball | Jun 7, 2011 1:40:53 PM

3. I need to get Romney to teach me how to do backflips. Seriously this man has flip-flopped on too many issues to count. A man who had the best chances of winning, now loathed by both sides of the isle. but hey, at least he created a bipartisan agreement on that!

Posted by: Redebbm | Jun 7, 2011 1:42:15 PM

4. When will commentators actually begin calling someone on this ridiculous line of BS? He also opposes lifting of DADT, how is that advancing non-discrimination?

Posted by: MacroT | Jun 7, 2011 1:44:05 PM

5. Man, this guy is slicker than Clinton at his slickest. What a used car salesman. "This car is vintage and classic, but the heater doesn't work and the radio could work if you hit it hard enough, and it has no transmission and no brakes and recently caught on fire, but this is a steal and it's going to go soon, so I'd grab it.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 7, 2011 1:57:16 PM

6. Mitt Romney is an empty suit. There is no there there.

I have said for years that he is running for President because he needs a job. That is not enough of a reason to be president.

Posted by: esther blodgett | Jun 7, 2011 2:01:39 PM

7. "I oppose Mormons. At the same time I would advance the efforts not to discriminate against people who are Mormon."

Wonder if Mitt Romney will face this in the next year or so. I hope so.

Posted by: homer | Jun 7, 2011 2:09:25 PM

8. Piers Morgan is really lame as an interviewer of politicians. He doesn't ask him directly: Do you support the ending of DADT? Do you support the current administration's position on not defending DOMA?

Posted by: Philo | Jun 7, 2011 2:20:32 PM

9. How very illogical! Works fine with GOP I guess.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 7, 2011 2:21:38 PM

10. I oppose discrimination too. I just don't support interracial or mixed-faith marriage.

Posted by: t | Jun 7, 2011 2:25:31 PM

11. An Oxy-Mormon that is all Romney can through out. remember Mormonism is not a religion it is aa cult and now we have a cult member who wants to be in office. I do not believe mormonism should be recognized as a religion however i support in advance moromaons rights. . . right out the door!

Posted by: Reverend Joseph Shore-Goss | Jun 7, 2011 2:37:10 PM

12. So desperate to be President, this clown would sell his own mother!

Posted by: Brain | Jun 7, 2011 2:41:23 PM

13. Piers then should have asked, "well you say you're opposed to discrimination against gays, but yet you said that if elected you would reinstate Don't Ask Don't Tell. Now let me ask you this -- we know that by the end of the summer, DADT will be gone. Are you know saying that if you get elected and take office, a whole year and later, and you put DADT back in place, doesn't that create quite a bit of unit disruption?"

But no, of course not. I've yet to see a SINGLE media person ask this to one of these candidates mouthing off about reinstating DADT.

Posted by: Jollysocks | Jun 7, 2011 2:41:53 PM

14. Peirs should have asked.." Hey Mitt, so are your 5 HEALTHY sons, going to be supporting the War effort again, by supporting your run for president"? ...hey Mitt, why you sittin' there so calmly, shouldn't your pants be on fire???

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Jun 7, 2011 2:48:44 PM

15. I think he stands on fine ground where he is. You can support a group without agreeing with everything they stand for.

Posted by: Jake | Jun 7, 2011 2:51:30 PM

16. Is really so difficult to see a man who has a personal moral objection to a lifestyle who also understands is is inappropriate to apply that personal standard politically? He clearly states, "I separate quite distinctly matters of personal faith from leadership".

Please, wake up or don't vote!

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 7, 2011 3:02:46 PM

17. Preach it, Brother Shore-Goss!

Heterosexuals have no right to define marriage considering that everything that has happened to it has been 100% their doing. Mormon cultists have even less right to do so.

I have a feeling Mountain Meadows Massacre was just the tip of the iceberg.

Posted by: Attmay | Jun 7, 2011 3:04:41 PM

18. I'm sure some of his best friends are gay, which of course makes everything alright.

Posted by: Austin | Jun 7, 2011 3:11:45 PM

19. This guy was supposed to be a master interviewer. He's pathetic, trying to get the "headline quote" instead of just asking policy questions. Mitt's more than capable of hanging himself if you just ask logical questions.

For example, what about CIVIL UNIONS?

Posted by: BobN | Jun 7, 2011 3:20:44 PM

20. @DAVID IN HOUSTON

"That's called an oxymoron... coming from a moron. You can't say that you support non-discrimination against gay people, then say that you oppose secular non-religious marriage for them."

That is EXACTLY Obama's position right now!

Posted by: Mark | Jun 7, 2011 3:23:55 PM

21. Mittens' pants don't catch on fire -no matter how much he lies-he is wearing his magic underwear to protect him.

Posted by: nick | Jun 7, 2011 3:25:42 PM

22. I think it's interesting that he stresses not governing based on his specific religious beliefs, when he surely must know that's NOT what conservative Christian "faith-based" voters in Republican primaries want to hear. Is he giving up on those voters? What does this say about his campaign strategy?

Posted by: Sancho | Jun 7, 2011 3:34:21 PM

23. wow..he makes Bubba's "it depends on what is is" look like grammar school...

Posted by: chris | Jun 7, 2011 3:36:49 PM

24. @ Sancho

It says that unless Obama ascends into heaven on live TV from the Presidential pulpit, faith-based voters will vote for the Republican
    candidate. Romney's got the Christian right in the bag, he won't spend much time pandering to them. Nor should he.

Posted by: Kevin | Jun 7, 2011 3:42:35 PM

25. this man has two faces one for each side of an issue. this man waffles on everything he says.

Posted by: walter | Jun 7, 2011 4:03:56 PM