News | Tracy Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

Tracy Morgan Apologizes for Homophobic Rant: 'I'm Not a Hateful Person'

Morgan 30 Rock star Tracy Morgan has apologized via his publicist for a homophobic rant that offended fans this week at a Nashville stand-up comedy show:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

Previously...
Tracy Morgan Called on to Apologize for Anti-Gay Stand-Up Routine, Threatening to Kill Own Son if He Was Gay [tr]

Comments

1. We ALL know what's in your heart, Dear. And it ain't pretty.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 10, 2011 12:31:40 PM

2. "Although the substance of my actual beliefs is contained in the accounts of my 'comedy performance,' I am being pressured by my publicist, my employer, my co-stars, and the network so I don't crap the bed and mess up my hugely profitable career, and foul the nest of '30 Rock' at the same time. Thanks for believeing that my 'apology' is anything other than covering my ass and those of my colleagues."

Posted by: Jeff Kurtti | Jun 10, 2011 12:34:08 PM

3. I'm not a hateful person. There's nothing hateful about claiming I would murder my son if he were gay.

Trying to get in front of the wave before it breaks, eh Mr. Morgan?

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jun 10, 2011 12:35:52 PM

4. Doesn't even look like it was written by him. I don't see how anything he said could even be seen as comedy or a joke. There's no punchline, its just a gay hating tangent. And not the first. In Tennessee, no less, where gay people really don't need this kind of sh*t being reinforced (not that we do anywhere). I just want people to ditch him already, he's not even funny. He drags the quality down of anything he's in, and he's a bigot to boot. Why is he still employed in the industry?

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 12:35:58 PM

5. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Rowan | Jun 10, 2011 12:38:23 PM

6. Epic Fail.

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jun 10, 2011 12:38:34 PM

7. Oh my god Im in shock someone says something derogatory vile and hateful towards and about the LGBT community.Then once they get called on it they miraculously apologize for what they said and claim they are not hateful in the least blah blah blah blah.....

Same pattern with all of these bigots lather rinse repeat over and over and over again.

Your comments are all anyone needs to know about YOU MR Morgan and none of it is good or remotely redeemable either.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 10, 2011 12:40:43 PM

8. Never cared for him in the first place, but he belongs in the pile where Michael Richards and Mel Gibson's careers went to die...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jun 10, 2011 12:41:29 PM

9. I don't believe one word of it. There's no way you make a joke about killing your child if he turns out to be gay. He believes that crap.

Posted by: Erich | Jun 10, 2011 12:41:43 PM

10. its comedy..get over it...

you're not hating on lisa lampanelli are you?

Posted by: amaezm | Jun 10, 2011 12:43:37 PM

11. My response to Morgan is to use the words of Morgan's own publicist in response to this matter: "There is no comment, thank you for your inquiry."

Posted by: justme | Jun 10, 2011 12:43:49 PM

12. What a non-apology. I really didn't want or expect one from him and now that he's done it THROUGH his publicist, I'm just pissed off again. I've never thought he was funny in the slightest, just stupid childish jokes. If you want to get any information out of me, even my deepest darkest secrets, just force me to listen to his and Sarah Palin's voices and I'll tell you anything you want to know. OK, now on to something much more important, like Weiner's weiner...

Posted by: stpetegreg | Jun 10, 2011 12:44:47 PM

13. choice of words? As if describing the stabbing murder of his own son using different words might have made it better?

Posted by: RICK | Jun 10, 2011 12:45:48 PM

14. Apology NOT accepted.

This 'apology' is meaningless PR.

30 Rock needs to fire his ass already.

Posted by: SteveC | Jun 10, 2011 12:47:46 PM

15. Good luck trying to un-ring that bell, Morgan.

I feel sorry for Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, and the rest of the cast of 30 Rock. Tracy Morgan's bigotry has irreparably fouled the show for a lot of people. I know that I won't be able to watch it again, ever.

Posted by: Grant | Jun 10, 2011 12:48:18 PM

16. amaezm, did lisa l. advocate violence against anyone? if so she should be condemned. if she did not then you should be for not seeing the life threatening issues here.

Posted by: jeremy | Jun 10, 2011 12:48:52 PM

17. That job on 30 Rock pays very well. He's scared to sh.t right now...and false humility.

Homophobes who come from the kind of background that Morgan comes from are hateful, and they'll often use language to shock and offend people. If he had a Gay son Morgan said, "I would stab the n.gger" That's the kind of thing that comes out of mouth of a hateful man.

Well, we've found the Black Mel Gibson.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 10, 2011 12:49:01 PM

18. Too late. Sorry.

Posted by: David J | Jun 10, 2011 12:50:55 PM

19. Yeah yeah.

What's in your heart doesn't count if it has no editorial control over your career suicide spewing gob-hole.

Posted by: jexer | Jun 10, 2011 12:51:47 PM

20. it's a totally lame, limp, POS apology.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 10, 2011 12:52:01 PM

21. His "choice of words." Marvelous.

Predictably, extorting a meaningless apology in an attempt to censor someone results in their adding insult to injury. It's no less than we deserve - when you strong arm someone into suppressing their actual beliefs and making nice, you deserve far worse than an insulting insincerity.

A people who simultaneously preach personal freedom while practicing de facto censorship deserve to get ripped a new one as their hypocrisy is exposed. It's a shame that as a society we've abandoned journalism in favor of flavor-of-the-week targeted propaganda. There's no one left to publicly slap our smug little faces when we do wrong, and while LGBTQ people are very well trained in self hatred, we're seldom capable of productive self criticism.

We're also remarkably unsubtle with regard to public opinion. An ignorant, offensive, hypocritical comic who thinks children committing suicide is funny is potentially a an even greater asset than Fred Phelps. A craven apologist padding his bank account by saying whatever we want to hear is of no use whatsoever.

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 10, 2011 12:52:15 PM

22. I don't forgive you, Mr. Morgan. "30 Rock" was my favorite TV show; one of few I watch. Because of you and only you, I won't be watching.

Mr. Morgan meet Mr. Richards...

Posted by: IAWrangler | Jun 10, 2011 12:52:46 PM

23. If we want anything done to show that this really isn't acceptable...

We have to contact the advertisers on 30 Rock and boycott.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 10, 2011 12:53:11 PM

24. His PUBLICIST wrote that, Tracy doesn't care. This is a shame b/c 30Rock is my favorite show. Maybe they can write him out next year and get someone crazier like...Charlie Sheen. ;-)

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jun 10, 2011 12:53:17 PM

25. I remember reading the first time about a homophobic outburst during one of his comedy shows where people walked out. It said that Jane Krakowski was there and gave him a standing ovation at the end of the show. She went on my sh*tlist for that.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 10, 2011 12:53:18 PM