Gay Marriage | News | Russell Simmons | Tracy Morgan

BigGayDeal.com

Tracy Morgan Speaks: 'I Would Love [a Gay Son] Just as Much as if He Was Straight'

30 Rock star Tracy Morgan speaks to Russell Simmons in a new interview at Global Grind.

Morgan Says Morgan: "I guess the reason I am successful is because I am so unfiltered. And sometimes as a result I say really stupid s**t. The truth is if I had a gay son, I would love him just as much as if he was straight ... I might have to try to love even more because I know of the difficulty that he would have in society."

Morgan adds: "Of all the sicknesses, there is probably none more abusive than homophobia. My heart is committed to giving everyone the same rights that I deserve for myself."

Morgan says that the controversy has helped him understand "how hurtful his words were" and tells Simmons that he supports marriage equality and would attend a rally in support of it:

"I believe everyone deserves the right to be happy and marry who they want too; gay, white, black, male or female. Let me know where the rally's at Russ. I'm there!"

Comments

1. i had already forgotten about this...but at least this is better than that first apology. if he means it or not doesn't really matter, but he surely learned a lesson

Posted by: Mateus - @TalktoMat | Jun 13, 2011 3:15:38 PM

2. That's pretty much the polar opposite of what he said in his act. So, is it a change of heart or is he suggesting this is how he felt all along?

Posted by: Wes | Jun 13, 2011 3:17:32 PM

3. I really want to believe him, but there's a part of me that suggests that he is doing this just so his so called career won't fall down any further.

I guess this is better than staying silent.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 13, 2011 3:23:23 PM

4. Damage control can be so wonderful. I can't wait to see what he'll do next to save his ass.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 13, 2011 3:24:03 PM

5. I accept his apology. What I have a problem with is the "because I am so unfiltered" line. It's something comedians use whenever there is controversy and it irritates the hell out of me. There is always a line and a comedian knows that line better than anyone. I can't imagine his rant just came out as he was saying it. Tracy should have known better in the first place.

Posted by: Jeremy | Jun 13, 2011 3:25:36 PM

6. Now that's a sincere apology. Thank you.

Posted by: gaylib | Jun 13, 2011 3:26:24 PM

7. i wonder which spin doctor got paid how much to arrange this timely interview? (he forgot to cry)

Posted by: Oliver | Jun 13, 2011 3:27:03 PM

8. We all say stupid things. Words are important, but ACTIONS are even more so. Judge someone by how they act overall. If he follows thru on his promise to attend rallies and such, he is FORGIVEN by me!

Posted by: Steve | Jun 13, 2011 3:31:29 PM

9. Its NOT enough - in these times when our children are killing themselves, this gut thinks its funny to say he would stab and kill his own child for being gay. Sorry NBC should make an example fire him NOW!
    Bullys' of all ages and perfessions must be stopped

Posted by: Tom Anderson | Jun 13, 2011 3:31:44 PM

10. Now we're talking, Tracy.

Posted by: oneway | Jun 13, 2011 3:33:25 PM

11. can we give this guy a break? we have bigger "enemies" than some guy that said ignorant stuff at a stand-up in TN and apologized multiple times for it. we're crucifying the wrong person. go against real political movers instead.

Posted by: jj | Jun 13, 2011 3:37:10 PM

12. "no filter" means to speak what you really feel without considering the consequences. He is a biggot and now a liar. His message of hate needs to be buried in obscurity just as his career! If Tina Fey and NBC don't fire him...I will never support Tina Fey again!

Posted by: David | Jun 13, 2011 3:38:00 PM

13. that was definitely not a "non-apology" apology. He works with a ton of gays and gay friendlies...he obviously got an earful, and seemingly learned his lesson. He's not the brightest bulb...but that was a pretty straightforward mea culpa. I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: doug | Jun 13, 2011 3:41:58 PM

14. Tracy Morgan has three boys, this is what he said last Friday to a packed TN audience..“ If my son told me he was gay (high pitched voice), I would take a knife and stab him in the chest” EVERYONE (Tina Fey-NBC-Comedians-Athletes...etc) needs to read and take action against the vicious hate that Mr. Tracy Morgan (30 Rock- SNL) said in his (rally for violence against the LGBT community- FOX can take a day off) questionable comedy act on June 3, 2011...NO NO NO apology accepted...20 yrs in entertainment working side by side with many gay parents and people with gay children and potraying us in offensive skits on SNL... NO surprise you would sperminate your flock of uneducated bible belt bullies in TN of all places ( Where two bills recently passed 1) you can be fired from your job for being gay 2) you cant use the word gay in schools....look it up) I can take a joke- Im ALL for free speech- not hate speech...Now it’s time for the gay community and supporters of equal rights for ALL to raise your voices and be heard.....

I DIDN’T CHOOSE TO BE GAY----YOU DIDN’T CHOOSE TO BE STRAIGHT— DID YOU? WE WERE ALL BORN THIS WAY------NO MORE STUPID F@@KING QUESTIONS OR BIGOTED STATEMENTS---- IGNORANT BIGOTS NEED TO SHUT THE F@@K UP AND SIT THE F@@K DOWN----- IT’S OUR TURN TO SPEAK UP----STOP USING GOD TO DEFEND HATE SPEECH AND PURE IGNORANCE FROM GENERATIONS OF INBREEDING AND LIES SPEWED BY GROUPS OF RELIGIOUS LEADERS (false prophets of god)......HOW MANY GAY CHILDREN DOES GOD HAVE TO MAKE BEFORE YOU REALIZE HE WANTS THEM AROUND??????????????

We as a community pushing equal rights for ALL need to make our voices heard NOW and encourage celebrities and politicians through TWITTER- FACEBOOK- EMAIL-...ETC. that they need to speak up when its not convenient to advance their careers.....You accept our hard earned money and go to our award shows and preach tolerance and standing up to bullies....Time to STAND UNITED in the fight for Equal Rights.... Tina Fey and 30 rock have received many awards from GLAAD....NO MORE LIP SERVICE- ACTION NOW...You use free speech Mr. Morgan as a front to spew hate.... Now its time to pay the piper.....I speak up for the thousands of GLBT kids who have no voice..... kids that don’t even have parents that love them enough to let them live at home..... church leaders telling 8 yr old kids they’re going to hell to their face...When family, friends, church leaders and your community abandons you all based on nothing you can control because your same sex attraction is natural, SUICIDE MIGHT SEEM LIKE THE ONLY OPTION....ITS NOT KIDS....IT GETS BETTER...IT IS BETTER.... WORDS HURT..... WORDS KILL !!!!!!

Tina Fey your half as@ed apology sucked... Tina fey says “ Tracy is to sleepy to cause anyone harm” What does that mean Tina? Mr. Morgan is FINISHED in my book. Don’t go down with the ship Tina. You hired Tracy knowing that his stand up is very homophobic. Now pay the price. This is the core of Tracy’s beliefs.....Believe what you want Tracy.... Say what you want Tracy..... Now pay the f@@king price you piece of sh@t....You would think growing up being black you might be a more thoughtful person when it comes to the LGBT issues and working with them for over 20 Years.... WRONG......TIME TO HOLD OUR POLITICIANS AND CELEBRITIES ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE THINGS THEY SAY OR DON’T SAY IN REGARDS TO LGBT ISSUES FROM NOW ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*****ALL THE FOLLOWING COMEDIANS NEED TO STAND UP AGAINST TRACY MORGAN NOW* ******1) Kathy Griffen 2) Lisa Lampanelli (Your 15 mins with the F word is up) 3) Sarah Silverman(been hitting up Sarah’s twitter) 4) Margret Cho 5) Whoopie Goldberg 6) Joy Behar (Finally a good topic for The View/ All The View does is talk about their other gigs and SPONSOR EVRYTHING/ LOVE YOU RO and...... The Talk is on .....No more View 7) ALL GAY COMEDIANS......WE HAVE TWITTER NOW......TELL THESE COMEDIANS TO STAND UP AGAINST TRACY MORGAN’S HATE SPEECH.... YOU AND I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN WHAT THESE AWFUL COMICS CONSIDER FUNNY ABOUT YOU AND I.....DO IT FOR THE KIDS THAT HAVE NO VOICE OR HOPE LEFT....JUST DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! COMEDIANS, NOW IS THE TIME TO SPEAK UP.NOT WHEN YOU'RE COUNTING OUR HARD EARNED MONEY. Thank You Wanda Sykes- Chris Rock for realizing his mistake and most of all LADY GAGA. Shes been a fierce advocate around the world.

Posted by: Josh6852 | Jun 13, 2011 3:48:48 PM

15. Fine, now put your money where your mouth is and donate THE ENTIRE BOOKING FEE/PROFITS you earned that night to PFLAG and/or a local Tennessee LGBT charity.

Posted by: Dennis | Jun 13, 2011 3:49:45 PM

16. I wonder if the initial comments in his act were an attempt at irony (i.e., he was talking as a "redneck" black man). This apology and these comments are so polar opposite and sound completely sincere. He went farther than any homophobic has ever gone in an apology -- coming out in favor of gay marriage, etc. that I can't help but think his comedy just misfired. And I was ready to hunt him down and kill him last week.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jun 13, 2011 3:49:45 PM

17. Sorry -- if he had said nasty stuff about adult gay men or lesbians, about gay stereotypes, about gay sexual behavior, he could apologize (or not) and move on. He said HE WOULD PULL OUT A KNIFE AND STAB HIS SON TO DEATH if he "spoke like a gay man."

That's extraordinarily terrifying. What competent parent would EVER say something like that about their child, even as a (ill-considered) joke. I'm am more upset and concerned about the parenting issues here than the homophobia (as bad as that was.) His apologies are insufficient because that kind of a threat is not something for which a simple apology is sufficient. It should be a matter of intervention, counseling and investigation by child welfare.

Posted by: Buster | Jun 13, 2011 3:54:24 PM

18. was this an on-air interview or print? cause to me it doesn't sound like Tracy Morgan. It sounds like Tracy Morgan's publicist.

Posted by: UWSGUY | Jun 13, 2011 3:56:20 PM

19. @Josh6852: You sound completely reasonable and not at all insane.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jun 13, 2011 3:56:51 PM

20. Didn't I tell you the Gay "community" would end up backing down from Tracy Morgan? Our collective wimpiness is so predictable, you could set a clock by it and not even be a second off! This latest "apology" is just like his last one: Solely motivated by the danger of his career ambitions being derailed. The only thing sorry about this dude is his act.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jun 13, 2011 3:57:29 PM

21. Apology accepted. I don't know what more "we" could want. This became a huge public thing, it got homophobia addressed in the public consciousness again.

He's not on Our side. Whether some of you want to admit it or not.

He's now on our side. Let's back to fighting the real enemies: legislators and politicians and religious leaders who promote hatred and inEquality.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 13, 2011 3:58:45 PM

22. Most jokes are rooted in truths.

Posted by: Xopher | Jun 13, 2011 3:59:02 PM

23. Whoopi Goldberg defended Tracy Morgan on The View this morning. Of course Sherri Shepard did as well...she plays his wife on 30 Rock.... Take a peek. Let Whoopi know how you feel. Tracy reads. and rereads his material. Tracy should know better. Sleepy Tina Fey..... REALLY......No more excuses.

Posted by: Josh6852 | Jun 13, 2011 3:59:11 PM

24. @NODNARB: LMFAO!

Josh that is way too much to read I respect your passion though.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 13, 2011 4:01:24 PM

25. On today’s world, it seems that some people BELIEVE that words are cheap, that now you express bigotry and the next minute you clean them up with new words conveniently saying the opposite, well crafted, just tuning up your wittiness. I don’t believe just in words. I trust on ACTIONS. If he shows real support –by actively participating in things pro gay related, by donating to organizations who take care of young gay people, etc.- then I will consider that he –maybe- really mean his apologies.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jun 13, 2011 4:01:29 PM